WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am relatively new to the watch world (or at least WUS) and today I spent nearly two hours between my two local ADs in the Pittsburgh area trying on probably close to third watches and handling many more. Before you ask, no I did not buy one of them today. Today was strictly figuring out what I want to purchase and from where. Today, I spent time with . . .

Rolex Explorer II
Tudor Grantour
Tudor Pelagos
Tudor Black Bay
Breitling Colt
Breitling Superocean
Breitling Superocean Heritage 42mm
Omega Speedmaster
Omega Aqua Terra
Bell and Ross 123 GMT 24H

Here are a few surprising findings:

1. My wrist sucks for larger watches. Yup, seems like 42mm is the perfect size for my 6.75 wrist. Actually, it came down to the lug length on most pieces. I prefer curved, shorter lugs.

2. Breitling made the best bracelets and straps and felt the most substantial. I had never handled one before and I walked away wanting a Superocean Heritage 42mm the most.

3. Bell and Ross makes some really nice watches and I could see my next purchase being the 123 GMT 24H.

4. Omega left me wanting more. I can't say I was overly impressed with the look or feel. Not saying they are not quality pieces. I just can't put my finger on what I was disappointed by. Maybe because they didn't fit the way I was hoping.

5. I thought the Longines was the best bang for the buck in the bunch. Bracelet wasn't great but was definitely better than average. Great tool watch that can dress up or down.

6. Tudor had some great looking watches but they didn't fit right. Sad because I thought the Grantour was going to be a must have. Same goes for the BB.

7. And finally, the Rolex. Eh. It was okay. Maybe I am not a good judge of character or maybe I am just a dingbat, but the Rolex did nothing for me. Still, I highly respect the brand, quality, and reputation.

Additionally, I finally understand the idea of diminishing returns. The Breitling felt better to me than the Rolex and is almost $4k less expensive. I would rather have three or four of the watches under $5k mentioned above than two of the Rolex or Omega pieces.

Just my opinion though. Let you know what I end up getting.

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
What Longines were you looking at? "Tool watch" and Longines don't normally go together.

Also can you explain what you meant by "didn't fit right" when it came to the Tudors?

Can understand about the speedy, some think it's rather plain but the AT, man that piece is pure class and quality.

Anyway, sounds like a fun day and that SOH is on my short list as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What Longines were you looking at? "Tool watch" and Longines don't normally go together.

Also can you explain what you meant by "didn't fit right" when it came to the Tudors?

Can understand about the speedy, some think it's rather plain but the AT, man that piece is pure class and quality.

Anyway, sounds like a fun day and that SOH is on my short list as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was looking at the Hydroconquest. Maybe not a tool watch in the true sense but with screw down crown, solid WR, and sporty yet classic look I think it can qualify even if just barely hitting that designation.

Lugs on the Tudors were too long/big for my wrist. Love the quality feel but need it to fit right.

AT just didn't do it for me. It didn't fit right and something was just off in my mind. Maybe I am way too picky.

SOH was awesome. Good weight, bracelet. I like the SO just as well.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
You're doing the right thing by trying a bunch of watches on and seeing what works best for you.

Your observations are ironic for me though because if it were me, because the two Omegas and the Rolex would have been the ones I would have been most interested in… The Black Bay would be tempting to try on as well...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're doing the right thing by trying a bunch of watches on and seeing what works best for you.

Your observations are ironic for me though because if it were me, because the two Omegas and the Rolex would have been the ones I would have been most interested in… The Black Bay would be tempting to try on as well...
Don't get me wrong. I was stoked to try on the Rolex, Omega, and Tudors. These are the watches that most WIS dream about and one day hope to own but many won't due to cost. I guess I was just hoping for this big "wow" moment that made me think "OMG I must have this Explorer II right now". But the truth is, I didn't. And that made me a bit sad at first but I put a positive spin on it. I can buy one watch for close to $9k or I can buy 4 or 5 watches from different brands for the same $9k.

But I should mention that some of these watches just didn't fit me. My factors in choosing are aesthetics, movement, and fit though I do pay attention to brand and reputation.

And I did make a purchase. Longines HydroConquest 41mm in Red. Should be here soon thanks to WUS member.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
7. And finally, the Rolex. Eh. It was okay. Maybe I am not a good judge of character or maybe I am just a dingbat, but the Rolex did nothing for me. Still, I highly respect the brand, quality, and reputation.

This is exactly how I feel, join the club buddy

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

Reactions: dxu1210

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did you think of the Pelagos ?
Didn't like it. Too thick, chunky for my liking.

I don't understand non-curved lugs. I tried the Longines and it had nice, curved lugs that hug the wrist. The Pelagos had flat lugs that made the watch look like a see-saw on my wrist.

Reactions: blowfish89

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
Didn't like it. Too thick, chunky for my liking.

I don't understand non-curved lugs. I tried the Longines and it had nice, curved lugs that hug the wrist. The Pelagos had flat lugs that made the watch look like a see-saw on my wrist.

Thanks, I've never tried one but I think I would feel the same (I have the same wrist size as you). I just bought two watches under 2k each and was wondering if I should have used the 4k for a Pelagos.

I did check out the Omegas at a boutique and was underwhelmed myself. The Speedy Pro was too bland for me.

I really like the Hydroconquest too, but I haven't got one because I have a C60 blue which I like equally.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I've never tried one but I think I would feel the same (I have the same wrist size as you). I just bought two watches under 2k each and was wondering if I should have used the 4k for a Pelagos.

I did check out the Omegas at a boutique and was underwhelmed myself. The Speedy Pro was too bland for me.

I really like the Hydroconquest too, but I haven't got one because I have a C60 blue which I like equally.
Well I just ordered the new HC 41mm in Red so I will let you know how it fits. Pics of course.

And I really wanted to like Omega but none of them fit just right.

Good move on avoiding the Pelagos in my opinion. Others here will disagree and in a way I can't blame them. It really is a nice watch but if you have similar wrist size as me, then it may be too big.

I think I am going to stick with my new HC for a few years and wear the hell out of it. That will give me time to save up for something nicer, more permanent. The only other watch that made me go "yes please" was the Rolex Sea Dweller. Have to admit that felt good but was a bit pricey for my current liking.

·
Registered
8,374 Posts
I have tried the HC 41mm blue - I thought it was a bit heavy but I know that it fits well :) and that caseback is amazing too. congratulations.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have tried the HC 41mm blue - I thought it was a bit heavy but I know that it fits well :) and that caseback is amazing too. congratulations.
Thanks. I actually prefer slightly heavier watches. Just feel more substantial to me.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
That's because you picked the Rolex that was so bright and gaudy that even bats could see it. It was designed for spelunking, not as a true Explorer II.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's because you picked the Rolex that was so bright and gaudy that even bats could see it. It was designed for spelunking, not as a true Explorer II.
Good point. It looks better in pictures. I definitely liked the regular/original Explorer more as well as the Submariner Date. One day I may purchase a Rolex but no time soon unless I hit the lottery or inherit something significant. And if that happens, it will be the Sea Dweller.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went to another AD today that carries multiple brands including Ulysse Nardin, Breitling, and Omega.

I wanted to try on an Omega one more time and turns out I was trying on the wrong watch yesterday.

Today I tried on the Seamster Diver 300 M Co-Axial 41 mm (212.30.41.20.01.003).

This style/size felt awesome and definitely made me say "wow". I think this is the right one for me. Plus the price was perfect, quoted at $3500 with AD discount.

My only issue is two of the AD I went to, one sold Omega and the other did not, decried the customer service from Omega/Swatch. I don't know if this is something I need to be concerned about but I am simply because I plan on this being a watch I wear for at least the next five years, probably longer. And it will be filling many roles from daily wearer to dress.

Just my thoughts today

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Always be a bit dubious when one shop badmouths a brand not sold by them but by a competitor. Make sure you walk away with good reading material too. I've now got the following catalogs

Patek
ALS
JLC x 2
IWC x 3
Longines
Breguet
Rado
VC
GO
NOMOS
Omega

I turned down the UN and Panerai since I'm not interested in divers. Fun to look at, and pretty on the shelf or coffee table.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
By the way, are there any shops around Shadyside? I think I'm going to be heading there for a trip later in the year and I wasn't really into watches way back then (I also think it's probably been even more gentrified since).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
By the way, are there any shops around Shadyside? I think I'm going to be heading there for a trip later in the year and I wasn't really into watches way back then (I also think it's probably been even more gentrified since).
That is where I was doing my shopping, lol.

Check out these two places:

Henne Jeweler's -- Walnut Street in Shadyside. Had a great experience here. The salesman asked if I wanted to try on the Rolex knowing that it was way out of my price range and I wasn't purchasing one regardless. Just wanted to give me the opportunity to say I tried one on at least once in my life. Small, family run business who really care about their customers. Salespersons get Rolex watches as gifts for longevity. They have a smaller selection but high class in my opinion. They carry Rolex, Tudor, Omega, Longines, Hamilton, and Tissot. Basically a Swatch AD with Rolex and Tudor thrown in.

Orr's Jeweler's -- Forbes Avenue in Squirrel Hill (about 5 minutes from Shadyside if not closer). Salesman wasn't my favorite, seemed very uninterested in talking shop with me. Wanted me to buy Breitling. Though he did let me try on a JLC. They have a pretty big selection of watches including Rolex, Tudor, Cartier, JLC, Panerai, Bell & Ross, Tag, Raymond Weil and some more. Really vast selection but badmouthed Omega/Swatch and ETA movements. Still, check it out for the vast selection they have. Plus their Sewickley location has Patek, ALS, and Frederique Constant.

Also if you have a chance to take about a 40 minute drive, check out Casa D'Oro at the Sheraton in Mars (north of the city). Great salespeople and a wonderful selection. Omega, Ulysses Nardin, Mont Blanc, Shinola, Tissot, Tag.

And I have a ton of those catalogs now. I even have the red Omega book that is my "grail" catalog, lol.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to keep that in mind. Probably won't be going until late next year, when that wonderful Pittsburgh winter can leave a great impression in my mind. :-d

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. I'll have to keep that in mind. Probably won't be going until late next year, when that wonderful Pittsburgh winter can leave a great impression in my mind. :-d
Let me know if you need a tour. Will do a watch tour of Pittsburgh.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts