WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the fonts of day/date wheels on least some SKX's seem to be a bit inconsistent at least for some of the day/date combos. Have you observed this? Is this more common with some SKX models or variations than others? Are there aftermarket replacement options for the day/date wheels that avoid this issue?

·
Banned
3,937 Posts
Can you post a pic(s) of said different fonts? Are sure you're not meaning language? Definitely different languages, but I've never really noticed too big a difference in font. I'm sure there might be a slight one, but nothing so obvious that I've noticed anyway.

Sent from my vacation home on the Moon.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
here's an example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ywj8vxa4fek90a/photo feb 17, 10 49 36 pm.jpg?dl=0

the day and date don't look like they belong together
From a typography perspective, yes, the typeface used for day looks condensed (narrower width) and the typeface used for date looks extended (wider width). You're right in that they don't 'match', but if you refer to stock day/date wheels, it does look like this is by design. I don't know if this is a 'seiko thing', or simply watchmaking convention (in that this is how every brand has always done day/date wheels).

The rational for this was probably to maximize legibility using available space and keep the space between the day/date consistent. If they had the '8' the same width as they do on the '18' and '28', there would be a larger space before single digit dates.

Here's a quick mockup of how that might look:

Here's an image of the stock day/date wheel for reference:

via: Seiko SKX007 | The Watch Bloke

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
I have worked on many 7S26 movements and have not noticed a significant difference in typographic thickness between the day and date wheel like the one posted above. But I am definitely no expert as I am only working from memory here... For reference here is one I just sold on eBay:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I too have tinkered with the 7S26 movements for SKX and SNK watches and happen to have a date ring available to measure the font. The single "8" measures 1.88 mm with digital calipers and a 2x loupe. Without changing the jaw opening, it is easy to see that the "8" from the "18" date is somewhat smaller. My guess is that the designers decided that our eyes prefer to see something that is centered by slightly adjusting the size, and thereby keeping it closer to the size of double digit numbers. Another note of interest is that Seiko uses two different DAY rings, one specific to a 3 o'clock crown and another specific to the 3:45 crown. Use the wrong one and the day will not line up with the date.

hopefully these pictures will upload and post correctly.

View attachment 7250962

View attachment 7250954

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does anyone here know if aftermarket day/date wheels are available for the SKX? If not then does anyone here have any idea how hard it would be to manufacture something like this?

·
Registered
897 Posts
here's an example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ywj8vxa4fek90a/photo feb 17, 10 49 36 pm.jpg?dl=0

the day and date don't look like they belong together
looks normal to me, its the same font used. By you saying they don't look normal is it because the eight looks a bit stretched? you are forgetting your comparing a single digit to double digits. They have to adjust the size accordingly, if they made that 8 the same size as a double digit 8 there would be too much of a gap between the day and date, like what artblakey mocked up.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
By comparison, the day/date font consistency isn't perfect on the Valjouj 7750 movement but it looks much closer and I honestly never even noticed it until carefully scrutinizing it this morning:
Speaking about "inconsistency".................
May I ask you a more common size of the font you use?
The small size you selected it's a BIG trouble for me (may be for the many +50 around here too).
Tks in advance for understanding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts