WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, that's my first post on a forum, my name is Alex and i work in SE Asia.
I can't decide whether I should replace the dial of my splendid Daytona, that piece is now 22 years old and there is a dilemma between keeping it's authenticity or giving it a fresher look. Also the luminescent is obviously gone missing forever after two decades...
Dilemma ^^

Thanks for commenting

uploadfromtaptalk1409588299217.jpg

·
Registered
257 Posts
It is a dilemma. It can be looked at rationally or emotionally.

Rationally, there's little reason to change the dial. It's functional, except for the luminosity,
and retaining it is the zero cost option.

Emotionally, which is probably the correct way to consider this, if you are in love with a dial that
is significantly different - different colour or with diamonds - go ahead and make the change. I'd order
it in advance and do the swap at the time of the next servicing to reduce costs. Try to keep the
original dial.

All the best!

John

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
No way I would corrupt a 22 year old a Daytona that looks to be in great shape.... assuming it is currently all authentic.

Reactions: ShaggyDog

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
I think it looks good like that.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for your inputs , this piece is authentic and almost never worn over its lifetime so I made my mind up and would keep it so . Similar dial with black subdials borders I couldn't find anyway , only champagne so ...
Cheers :)

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would have to ask again to the Rolex service center , I recall they wanted to replace the dial for the lume :/
The damage on the dial is around 1 K excl service ...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
when u service it at rolex they will relume the dial
No they won't. Unless you have some sort of status that permits Rolex to break their own rules, they do not relume dials or hands. They will replace during a service for the extra charges involved.

Reluming of dial and hands is a dying art. There are only a tiny number of artisans around the world who will do this sort of work and turn out a result that looks good enough to pass for new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts