WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have thoughts on the quality and visibility of the lume on the Daytona Models. Is it typically poor by other watch standards?

I can't say I am impressed with mine and I would classify it as difficult to read the watch at night. (my eyesight is fine)

Your thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
Does anyone have thoughts on the quality and visibility of the lume on the Daytona Models. Is it typically poor by other watch standards?

I can't say I am impressed with mine and I would classify it as difficult to read the watch at night. (my eyesight is fine)

Your thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.
pic please....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Daytona lume.jpg

I took it out of its case, left it in direct sunlight for about 10 minutes then used an LCD flashlight for 30 seconds. This was taken in a completely dark closet.

It may not be as bad as I original thought. It just seemed to me that I can never read the time in a movie theatre or see the watch on the nightstand after lights out.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
i wasn't sure if you meant the one with the markers or with the numbers... but yea, it's not as bright or long lasting as the sub or similar because it's just a tiny bit of the markers and the thin hands. is it an older model? a lot of people actually enjoy their lume on the daytonas

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it's a 2012 M model. The watch came in White and I had the dealer change for black within a week. I assumed they would exchange mint white for mint black? I was quoted $1k for a new black and keep the white or $400 for the exchange. Makes me think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My SS Daytona is 2012 M (model). The watch originally came with a White dial. I decided it was too stark for my taste, soI had the dealer exchange the white dial for a black dial within a week of the purchase

I was told that:
1. I could buy a new Black dial and keep the White dial as a "spare" - cost to me $1000. or
2. Exchange the White dial for a Black dial and the additional cost would be $400

It was my understanding the my 'as new" White dial would be exchanged for a brand new Black dial.

So, what you see in the picture is what I understand to be a new Black dial that is now 4 months old.

·
Premium Member
7,607 Posts
Daytona12;7978533[COLOR=#333333 said:
I was told that:
1. I could buy a new Black dial and keep the White dial as a "spare" - cost to me $1000. or ...

[/COLOR]
Rolex are adamant about NOT allowing owners to keep used parts as "spare" parts. When a watch is serviced, none of the used/replaced parts are returned to the owner.

The fact that you were offered the possibility to keep your old dial as a "spare" makes me very suspicious of the folks doing the dial exchange for you, and also suspicious that you were indeed provided with a genuine Rolex replacement dial.

Please post a daylight pic of your watch so we can take a look at the replacement black dial.

HTH

·
Registered
438 Posts
Rolex are adamant about NOT allowing owners to keep used parts as "spare" parts. When a watch is serviced, none of the used/replaced parts are returned to the owner.

The fact that you were offered the possibility to keep your old dial as a "spare" makes me very suspicious of the folks doing the dial exchange for you, and also suspicious that you were indeed provided with a genuine Rolex replacement dial.

Please post a daylight pic of your watch so we can take a look at the replacement black dial.

HTH
Well it is possible but of course the dealer would be breaking the rules (set by Rolex) by allowing him to keep the existing dial. If he had went to an RSC then there is no way they'd let him keep the old parts.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
My stainless-and-gold Daytona had great lume on its stick markers. One reason I wanted it was because I had never been satisfied with the lume on Speedmasters I had owned, and I was not disappointed. A 10-second charge under a halogen lamp would provide an entire night's luminescence. Even in the brighter light just before dawn, the lume still glowed enough to be legible.

Of course, as always, YMMV.

Rolex Daytona-¾ lume.jpg

Reactions: Nephro
1 - 12 of 12 Posts