WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question...

I've been looking for a SS Daytona for a while now, and online I see that the list price is something like $6,975.00. The cheapest I can find a new, unworn SS Daytona is approx $11,500!

Why is this? And is there anywhere I can find one for list price (or better?? :-D )

Thanks for your help gentlemen!

-SINGH

·
Registered
38,520 Posts
:) If your're a not a major customer, your going to have to put down a
heavy deposit and wait at least two years. Daytonas selling over list
are classified; pre-owned. :-S I just don't get the hoopla over that watch.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
This is an open secret as far as the SS Daytona is concern. ADs don't even display it because displaying would mean having to tag it at official retail price. They hide it in the drawer. :-(

Go for the other versions for that kind of money. At least you get more intrinsic value, not to mention, a few grams of gold. :-D

·
Registered
359 Posts
THe SS Daytonas have a reputation for being hard to find, and hard to purchase at list price. SO, grey market dealers feed the fire by purchasing them and marking them up 35-40% and reselling them. Rumor has it that many AD's sell them only to grey market dealers for a premium, which in turn drives the price up higher.<| Everyone makes a profit and everyone is happy. At list, yes they are difficult to purchase. I have always questioned the validity of the waiting list, but there are many believers out there that they do exist. The best bet is if you really want to purchase one from an AD is to really start establishing the relationship with that AD, and you may find yourself getting one very quickly.:-!
Otherwise you can look around on the SC and find a good piece, albeit probably not in the $6975 range. I can tell you that I wanted one for some time, and I was never on any list. Just walked into the AD one day and BAM, there it was IN THE DISPLAY CASE smiling at me. I wore it home the next day after some serious deliberations with my wife. :gold

P.S. I also do not buy into the "AD HAS to sell at list price" thing either. THey can and will sell for whatever they can get for their items. ANyone know what MSRP is? Manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price!! My.02.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I personally am about to give up on the daytona, I have been waiting for over a year on a so called Waiting List... NO calls or anything, I just bought a different brand to try, and like the watch I got, if they call I may go get it , but ready to give up...maybe a sea dweller instead...I think rolex does it on purpose to keep demand up, they are making alot of cash off us people...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why are they priced above list - IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE CROOKS.

I don't see what is so special about the SS Daytona, or the Daytona itself, it's just a stop watch!

It doesn't even have the date (which I believe is a lot more useful) as does the same watch in Tudor!

Just my 2 cents.

John.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i have a tudor sub I love

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Personally I like the watch with a black dial, and if I had the money...

However, I absolutely do not believe that waiting lists exist. I understand it to be a ploy to placate the would-be Daytona owner in the hope that they will get fed up and buy something else.

A while back a trusted and prestigious Rolex AD told me that Rolex categorizes their dealers on a five-point scale; I forget whether 1 or 5 is the highest. Anyway, he told me that if you are a serious customer at a highest rated AD, i.e., a return customer, low-key, knowledgeable, etc., and have the money immediately available, there is no problem securing a Daytona for you. He was litteraly talking days from placing the order with Rolex. The veracity of this - who knows? But I have no reason to doubt him.

I do, however, seriously doubt that Rolex AD's are complicit in knowingly selling to grey market dealers for additional profit. I think that is another myth that would-be customers use to keep the whole Daytona bandwagon going. I think it would just be too risky for the AD, given that Rolex are known to take an extremely dim view of the grey market. However, whether AD's sell to repeat customers - as described above - who then themselves sell on the Bay at a premium, I cannot say. But it would make sense.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The Daytona is a fine watch with a very nice movement. As long as people will pay over MSRP for one they will stay high. I would not even think of one unless it was MSRP. I am sure I'll never have one. They really do not interest me. Most never use the sub dials except to time eggs in the morning. I would wear a PN though.;-)maverick

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
How Much??????????

$11,500, for a Daytona???? For the same money I'd buy a new Rolex GMT PLUS a new Rolex Sub PLUS a new Rolex Explorer1.

What would you buy instead?

si

·
Registered
359 Posts
jac said:
Why are they priced above list - IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE CROOKS.

I don't see what is so special about the SS Daytona, or the Daytona itself, it's just a stop watch!

It doesn't even have the date (which I believe is a lot more useful) as does the same watch in Tudor!

Just my 2 cents.

John.
Well, one could argue the fact that the Daytona has tons of history, and it is much more than a stopwatch IMHO, but I will just say that it is THE most comfortable watch I have ever put on, and if you ever get the opportunity to own one you will then understand. It is a very substantial piece for many reasons. Let me know how that Tudor works for you:-!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Chris Hoffman said:
Well, one could argue the fact that the Daytona has tons of history, and it is much more than a stopwatch IMHO, but I will just say that it is THE most comfortable watch I have ever put on, and if you ever get the opportunity to own one you will then understand. It is a very substantial piece for many reasons. Let me know how that Tudor works for you:-!
Chris, since they share the same bracelet (only the clasp is different) and case isn't the YM just as comfy? =) maverick

I would wear this one. ;-)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Re: How Much??????????

mariner said:
I would buy a n ice used sports car or a motorbike!:p
Exactly :) . Just bought myself a Ford Focus 2.0L Sports Hatchback, brand new not used. It should be delivered in about a week's time. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Mav, I have never put a YM on. I admit when I started lurking and eyeballing I had originally wanted a YM. Then I got to looking at the similarities between the YM and the SUb and changed my mind. THe Sub, while a great watch, is a tad bit uncomfortable. So, to your point, they probably would be just as comfy, but I did not want to make any assumptions since I have never had one on my wrist. My point was that IMHO, the Daytona is more than "just a chronograph". Your pic says it all!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
With the solid center links the SS/play YM is well balanced and very comfortable. My most comfy watch is the 1675 which weighs less than the others and has a Twinlock.
To be totally honest I can not tell you what is on my wrist unless I look down. They all fell OK to me. =) maverick

·
Registered
359 Posts
maverick said:
With the solid center links the SS/play YM is well balanced and very comfortable. My most comfy watch is the 1675 which weighs less than the others and has a Twinlock.
To be totally honest I can not tell you what is on my wrist unless I look down. They all fell OK to me. =) maverick
I think it is the balance piece for me. The SUb bracelet is a bit small for that watch. Solid center links would be a nice improvement. The way it wore on me the triplock dug into the back of my hand. I had to even add a link to mine because the bracelet was too small for my wrist. The Daytona does not hold that issue, though. Fit me perfectly right out of the box, and wears very well on my wrist. No problems witht the triplock on that one at all.
I always know what is on my wrisl b/c I look at my watches frequently LOL!! I can also hear the "rattle" of my DJ bracelet (old style non SEL).:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hello Chris

Thank you for your response. I apologise if I seemed a little harsh about the Daytona. In fact I agree with Mav, I love the PN and it would look good in my collection.

The point I was getting at is why would you pay above MSRP for such a watch, just because the dealers want to line their pockets with OUR hard earned cash. The stopwatch pun, was merely out of anger. But honestly, apart from being a (great) watch, it's other function is a stopwatch.

By the way, I don't own a Tudor Daytona, but do have 9 various Tudor models and about 20 Rolexes (including 2 x DD).

I mainly collect Rolex, and one day a Daytona will come, but it'll be something special eg, PN if I get lucky or feel rich.

For now, these are my favorites.

Regards

John.

·
Premium Member
12,915 Posts
If you are an excellent rolex customer you might get a daytona for the sale list price, otherwise you will pay them way over 10k$

1 - 20 of 22 Posts