WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
I do prefer this over Rolex' redesigned Cellini. Bit of a nit, but I wish the hands were thicker and the logo applied rather than printed. But a very nice piece, indeed.

·
Registered
276 Posts
We went to the Basel pieces showing at the Houston Galleria Boutique on July 11. The NATO straps were there too. We only looked at the Tresor and were really impressed. The Sedna gold is beautiful without being flashy. Sapphire case back with 15000 Gauss are the gravy on top. The other gold color is too gold , IMO. I wish Omega would make a women's version. This one is 40 mm.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Yesterday, the Vancouver Boutique got their 2014 carnet (sample, "Not For Sale") models in, so I dashed down there to see them and try them on:

De Ville Tresor, inspired by a 1949 (would be appropriate for me, as that's my birth year), silver opline dial with "Clous de Paris" pattern, manually winding calibre 8511 anti-magnetic resists magnetic fields up to 15,000gauss, with S14 silicon balance spring, Co-axial escapement and Timezone function (the hour hand can be moved independently, while minute and second hands are running), 40mm beautifully slim case. Even the ends of the hands are slighlty curved. And the shape of the crystal is reminiscent of the original as well.

It is available in White Gold, Sedna Gold, and Yellow Gold. Would be nice if they eventually make a model in stainless steel as well.

They had a white gold and yellow gold model at the Boutique:

The beautiful manually-wound movement. S14 silicon balance spring, coaxial escapement, like the 8500 the hour hand is independent, so the time can be changed while the second and minute hands are still running:

Beautiful fit on the wrist:

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I really like the white gold version.

Reactions: carlhaluss

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I really like the white gold version.
Me too! They didn't get the Sedna (Red) gold version, so I would have to see it. It would be really nice if there was a stainless steel version as well, then it might be affordable for me.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I do prefer this over Rolex' redesigned Cellini. Bit of a nit, but I wish the hands were thicker and the logo applied rather than printed. But a very nice piece, indeed.
I agree about the hands. Given that this is a larger watch than the originals on which it's based, the hands and markers appear a little too thin for my liking. Still, it's a nice looking watch.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts

The beautiful manually-wound movement. S14 silicon balance spring, coaxial escapement, like the 8500 the hour hand is independent, so the time can be changed while the second and minute hands are still running:

The movement has Batman all over it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Never seen the back of this before. Consider my jaw well and truly dropped.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Looks good..vintage vibe is strong and a manual wind version of the 8500 series is intriguing...almost afraid to ask what's the retail price on the white gold version?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still drooling over this one, only a few more months and it'll be available for sale.

Balzebub, I think the retail is around AUD$16,000, not sure of the USA / EUROPE prices.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,775 Posts
It's so close to what I would want in a dress watch.

But it seems big, and IMO, a manual movement should not have a date complication.

This would be perfect for wearing on special occasions, which isn't too often for me. It'll have run down between the times I put it on. I'd have to reset the date each time, and because it's got the quick timezone change instead of a quickset date, it's more of a hassle.

I put the Tresor in the "Least favorite watch from a favorite brand" thread for these reasons. It's not that it's a bad watch all over -- it isn't, it's beautiful -- it's just that it got so close to perfection and then they threw in a couple bad design choices (too big for a classic style, date function).

It's like that Seinfeld episode where a girl he dated seemed perfect until she laughed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJv4p8voUwo&feature=kp

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
It's so close to what I would want in a dress watch.

But it seems big, and IMO, a manual movement should not have a date complication.

This would be perfect for wearing on special occasions, which isn't too often for me. It'll have run down between the times I put it on. I'd have to reset the date each time, and because it's got the quick timezone change instead of a quickset date, it's more of a hassle.

I put the Tresor in the "Least favorite watch from a favorite brand" thread for these reasons. It's not that it's a bad watch all over -- it isn't, it's beautiful -- it's just that it got so close to perfection and then they threw in a couple bad design choices (too big for a classic style, date function).

It's like that Seinfeld episode where a girl he dated seemed perfect until she laughed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJv4p8voUwo&feature=kp
Second this. When you look at the prestigious, truly high end manually wound dress watches they all have two things in common that this piece does differently: first, they are no date and second, they are under 40mm.

Great watch, impressive textured dial, nice looking movement, and it's from a marquee brand, but for the sort of this money this will command in a precious metal there are others. Hodinkee produced a "3 Under $20k" video recently and they showcased FP, VC, and ALS. For the price of this Omega you can justify adding those to your list of contenders.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts