WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking over the threads and can't find a definitive answer.
I bought a used GW-300. Display is blank except for "recover" and "battery" in the lcd.
Put it in the sun and it shows Jan 1 and battery level is immediately "high".
From everyone's experience do you think this is a bad module or simply in need of a new 1616 battery?
My concern is the immediate "high" showing on the battery meter...
Thanks in advance,
Chris

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Re: Dead GW-300 - battery or module?

Some of Casio's earliest solar/atomic watches -- including the GW-300 -- are now known to have had problems with their battery life.

That, plus the fact that you bought yours used (so we have no idea how long the battery has been dead) suggest that it probably just needs a new CTL-1616 rechargeable battery.

When you put it in the sun and it immediately shows as "high" that suggests that the charging circuit is working correctly!

·
Premium Member
14,575 Posts

Yes, with the symptoms you are describing, my guess would be a bad battery. Pop a new one in there and give it go.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks gents, hated to spend the $'s on a battery if it was the module.
I'll pop a new battery in here in the next week or so and update.
Thanks again,
Chris

Reactions: JohnQFord

·
Registered
3,697 Posts

Leave it charging in direct sunlight in window as long as you can ... a few days ... it'll probably bounce back. Not uncommon for a battery left in storage ... including the immediate 'high' reading before falling back.

Had the same thing in 2 NOS purchases ... both batteries came back to life with plenty of sunlight.

Reactions: Tetsu Tekubi

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Leave it charging in direct sunlight in window as long as you can ... a few days ... it'll probably bounce back. Not uncommon for a battery left in storage ... including the immediate 'high' reading before falling back.

Had the same thing in 2 NOS purchases ... both batteries came back to life with plenty of sunlight.
Thanks John,
I'll try it before I spring for a new battery.
Best,
Chris

Reactions: JohnQFord

·
Registered
358 Posts

I've been looking over the threads and can't find a definitive answer.
I bought a used GW-300. Display is blank except for "recover" and "battery" in the lcd.
Put it in the sun and it shows Jan 1 and battery level is immediately "high".
From everyone's experience do you think this is a bad module or simply in need of a new 1616 battery?
My concern is the immediate "high" showing on the battery meter...
Thanks in advance,
Chris
You just need a new CTL1616 battery. My GW-5600J behave like that before. The battery level was on high but when I used the EL light, the Recover began flashing.
After I replaced the battery the watch behaved normally.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts

Seconded -- sunlight is free, after all, and charging it for a few days is definitely worth a shot! :-!

According to the manual, located at http://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/009/qw2608.pdf, direct sunlight is almost five times as efficient for charging than "sunlight through a window." Casio estimates that watch will need 18 hours of DIRECT sunlight to go from "empty" to "full," or 87 hours of "sunlight through a window."

After that much charging, if it's still not showing signs of improvement (like staying on "Medium" overnight) then it's probably time for a new battery.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

Thanks John,
I'll try it before I spring for a new battery.
Best,
Chris
The battery level jumping very quickly to high is a classic sign of a shot battery that has been allowed to run down completely. The chances of it getting a reasonable charge back are next to zero.

A cheap way to test the module is to stick a cheap CR1616 in there and check it functions correctly if so you are good to go and get the much more expensive CTL1616.

Mitch

·
Registered
473 Posts

The battery level jumping very quickly to high is a classic sign of a shot battery that has been allowed to run down completely. The chances of it getting a reasonable charge back are next to zero.
Had a GW-9200 that behaved like that after the battery drained completely. Even after a few days in the sun CHG was flashing AND on H.

Opened it up, gave it a AC reset and it cleared the flashing CHG. Been on H ever since.

So there's still a possibility all it needs is AC reset.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I appreciate all the replies!!!!!!!
I first tried leaving it in bright sunlight for 3 solid days.
No go.
Then I tried the AC reset, again no go.
So I ordered a CTL1616 off of the bay and it arrived today from Canada.
Like Tony Stark, my GW300 has a new energy cell/heart and……..
Battery in place, charge level is so low even the light won't power on.
Will leave outside for a day or two, however we've been having record rainfall so it may take a bit longer.
No loss of the three little springs so I believe all is well :)
A few days of charging will tell the story and I'll update the thread as I know more……….
Cheers,
Chris

Reactions: Mike K

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

One day in the sun and all is well.
Battery is on high and despite 2-3 days of too much rain and zero sun, it's holding the charge and synching every night.
Total out the door is about $35 for this camo bad boy.
(and the nervousness of doing your first rechargeable battery swap) :)
Hope this thread eventually helps someone else and thanks to everyone for their input!
Here's a link to the video I watched. Please pay attention to the part about removing the springs that are grounded on the case back(my second image).
There are three and you remove two and leave one in place.
I didn't.
I jumped ahead and removed all three but was able to get the third back in place without difficulty, but could have saved myself some stress if I had paid a bit more attention :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6JbrVDqR7w
Chris

·
Premium Member
14,575 Posts

Glad to see it up and running.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Hope this thread eventually helps someone else and thanks to everyone for their input!
Here i am 6 years later finding a reason to why a solar charged watch (GW-300) would show "H" and still die immediately.

Thanks to your Thread, i dont have to explore the various reasons to its death and will jump straight to a new battery replacement. Thanks a lot!

Regards

HK

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
where are Mike and JohnQ these days ???
JohnQ sir, I have some extra Gshock "display" thingies, wondering if you want to have them ...

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here i am 6 years later finding a reason to why a solar charged watch (GW-300) would show "H" and still die immediately.

Thanks to your Thread, i dont have to explore the various reasons to its death and will jump straight to a new battery replacement. Thanks a lot!

Regards

HK
So glad it helped, BTW, 6 years later and I still rock a red camo 300 :),
Cheers,
Chris

Reactions: Rocat
1 - 16 of 16 Posts