WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired this Timex Model 63 quartz complete with box and papers. It's a great looking watch in great shape...but it won't run.

I installed a 303/374 cell, but no luck. I'm certainly no expert, but I don't see any obvious problems like broken connections.

I love the watch, but I can't justify spending a lot of money to fix it (presuming it's reparable).

Does anybody see any obvious problems with the movement? Are there any steps I can take to rule out simple problems? I've done some simple watch repairs myself, but I have zero experience with this kind of movement.

Capture.jpg

Capture2.jpg

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
No experience with that particular Timex, but some experience with early electrics. I'd first check the balance and geartrain by giving it a twist back and forth to set the balance in motion and seeing if the seconds hand advances. Would also check if the hands move freely when setting.

Then I'd try to visually check if the battery's -ve terminal was shorting against the mainplate when installed. It should only touch the center brass terminal. In the past, I've used scotch tape with a small hole punched through as a temporary insulator for checking. Once again I'd try the jumpstart on the balance and see if that works.

From there, I'd probably finally cave in a buy a multimeter and start checking voltages.

I'm just a hobbyist with a small collection, but these are the procedures I've used to see if a movement is worth saving when I get it.

In case you haven't heard of this resource:
Timex Model 62 Series - Electric Watches
If you're feeling really brave, halfway down the page he mentions that if you remove the circuit board and jumper the posts together, it will function as a pre-quartz Model 40 movement.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
Put the battery back in the watch. Put the case back on and then give it a sharp smack to the non crown side (at the 9 o'clock position) and see if it works.

The early timex quartz watches along with the electric and electronic watches sometimes needed a good smack to the side to get them running

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
As it's basically an electric watch it has the same problems as one of these and one problem is that the thin wire that the balance uses as a switch can get blackened and need cleaning. Also it might just need a push to get past some dirt so if you have a air blower you can blow on the balance and see if it will start up.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the great advice (especially from @odd_and_vintage_fan)! I'm not sure exactly how, but I was able to get the ol' gal running again. It's not perfect, but it's running.

Flicking the balance wheel a few times to jump start it, regulating it, cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol, and just letting it sit and run for a while to get the kinks out seemed to do the trick.

But...

The hacking mechanism doesn't work -- at least not reliably. When it doesn't work, I can usually get it to engage by moving the hands counter clockwise a bit (the poor man's hack). Also, the watch sometimes ticks loudly when held at a certain angle.

I believe the two behaviors are related. When I pull out the crown and the hacking mechanism doesn't work, the watch will tick loudly.

I'm thinking that perhaps pulling out the crown and stem and re-installing them might help, but I can't figure out how to remove the stem on this model. Can anyone help? Any other thoughts on how to fix?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
00121.jpg
The stem is held in place by two arms that you pull apart and the hack feature is a mechanical arm that will move and hold against the balance wheel when the crown is pulled out and you need not remove the stem, just bend the arm a bit until it stops the balance wheel (with the crown in the set position).

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stem is held in place by two arms that you pull apart and the hack feature is a mechanical arm that will move and hold against the balance wheel when the crown is pulled out and you need not remove the stem, just bend the arm a bit until it stops the balance wheel (with the crown in the set position).
This is a huge help -- thanks!

I see that wire twitching when I pull out the crown, but I can't tell which way the wire is supposed to be pulled in order to engage the hacking mechanism. That is, I don't know which way to bend it. Do you know?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
This is a huge help -- thanks!

I see that wire twitching when I pull out the crown, but I can't tell which way the wire is supposed to be pulled in order to engage the hacking mechanism. That is, I don't know which way to bend it. Do you know?
They have put a plate in between the balance springs coils and the balance itself but it swings just under the plate and when the crown is pulled out the end of the arm should touch the balance under the plate. Also the tip has a shape that will go under the balance so it catches it in an extreme position so it will start right up again when it's released.

So bend the arm so it makes a slight curb to the right in towards the balance. If it still doesn't work then the problem is on the other end where it's moved by the stem.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Congrats! Mine sometimes require a twist to get the balance to start spinning, too. I have a couple with this style of circuit board and I swear mine have broken by looking at them funny. Maybe just me? Glad to see another Q ticking away!

Sent from my Timex Sinclair 1000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a couple with this style of circuit board and I swear mine have broken by looking at them funny.
I think you jinxed mine! It was running great for several days. Then, as it was sitting in my watch box overnight, it stopped. I had to flick the balance wheel a few times to jump start it again this morning.

Hahaha. I'm posting with my TRS-80 Color Computer!

Capture.jpg

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it turns out the new battery I installed was the problem. I installed a new one (from the same package) and, oddly enough, it's running strong again.

Next step is regulating it. It's gaining about 30 seconds a day, which I can certainly live with. But the manual says it can be regulated to 15 seconds a month. We shall see!

Capture.jpg

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think you jinxed mine! It was running great for several days. Then, as it was sitting in my watch box overnight, it stopped. I had to flick the balance wheel a few times to jump start it again this morning.
Sorry :) same thing happens to mine. I decided to just pull the stem and stop it until ready to wear again.

Hahaha. I'm posting with my TRS-80 Color Computer!
Awesome! Lol

·
3,051 Posts
Well it turns out the new battery I installed was the problem. I installed a new one (from the same package) and, oddly enough, it's running strong again.

Next step is regulating it. It's gaining about 30 seconds a day, which I can certainly live with. But the manual says it can be regulated to 15 seconds a month. We shall see!

View attachment 12869927
Good luck!

Mine runs roughly -1 per week. They can be very reliable time keepers.

View attachment 12872343

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ah. I was thinking since it is quartz controlled perhaps the potentiometer factored in somehow. thanks!

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Pretty sure the black semi-circle below the battery well on that picture is the quartz rate trimmer switch. If it's anything like an Accuquartz in practice, having the balance wheel close to 0 sec/day means less energy will be needed to force the balance to be where the quartz timing package says it should be.

·
3,051 Posts
After looking through my info, adjusting the regulator is the method for the M40, which the M63 is based on. It should not be adjusted on the M63.

Ah. I was thinking since it is quartz controlled perhaps the potentiometer factored in somehow. thanks!
Pretty sure the black semi-circle below the battery well on that picture is the quartz rate trimmer switch. If it's anything like an Accuquartz in practice, having the balance wheel close to 0 sec/day means less energy will be needed to force the balance to be where the quartz timing package says it should be.
The correct method is as you two suggest. Here is a copy of the service bulletin that outlines the procedure: https://goo.gl/FzFSWr

1 - 20 of 24 Posts