WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my watch buying has gotten a bit out of control and my wife while not mad is not to thrilled. So, her and I cut a deal, only four watches this year and i have to trim down the watch collection to fit int the watch box. Now I have two on pre-order the Obris Morgan Explorer II and the Helgray Silverstone, this leaves me with just two more to get.

My question is, if you only had two more watches you could get for the year what would you do? Would you wait a while and see what new watches microbrands come out with, or would you pull the trigger on a couple of watches you have wanted for some time, but always picked up something else instead? If waiting to see what microbrands have to offer later through the year would you set up a two watch list of what to get closer to the end of the year if the micorbrands don't impress? IF that is your choice, what watches would be in your top two list?

I am just curious because I am not sure what to do and I know that you enablers will have some good insight.

Also (shameless plug) I will be getting rid of around 10 - 12 affordables soon!

Like most posts, they are no fun without a picture, here is what I am wearing as I type this. (old pic) I have my daughter in my arms so a new photo is impossible.

20140917_091119.jpg

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Hmmm, it is tough to give hood advice without knowing the 2 watches you've wanted for a while, and knowing how likely they are to be around next year.

If there's a chance they'll not be around, I would plan a mid-year purchase of one, and a mid-to-late-year of the other. This would give you time to see if anything else comes out from a micro that you want more, and still ensure you get one, if not both in case nothing else tickles your fancy.

If both watches are here for the long term, then I would delay the purchases to later in the year than the previous timeline.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
My question is, if you only had two more watches you could get for the year what would you do? Would you wait a while and see what new watches microbrands come out with, or would you pull the trigger on a couple of watches you have wanted for some time, but always picked up something else instead? If waiting to see what microbrands have to offer later through the year would you set up a two watch list of what to get closer to the end of the year if the micorbrands don't impress? IF that is your choice, what watches would be in your top two list?
Hard to say. I would be tempted to buy something form my long term short list by the summer, but I'd keep one slot open for a super hot micro brand offer that might show up. If the slot is still open near the end of the year, it might give you a better position for the 2016 negotiations. A strategic reserve, so to speak. ;-)

I'm really happy that my girlfriend doesn't care how many watches I buy or own..

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I know where you're coming from; I'm also in the process of a major purge (check my Private Seller eBay listing). Fortunately, or unfortunately, my wife hasn't really said much about the number of watches I've accumulated. I just picked up a slightly used Portsea and have a Rossling pre-ordered. Two things left: Omega Seamaster SMP 2254.50 and a 1958 birth-year watch (first year Royal Orient would be perfect).

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Two watches for the rest of the year, eh? I would take a Rolex 90s vintage Submariner and a new Rolex Milgauss.

See the problem with that?

That's not the correct way to cut a deal with your wife. Here's my recommendation, based on 13 years of collecting:

Make a 'play money' budget for each of you, that the family can afford, and the other person has nothing to say about it.

If it is a space issue, then I agree there should be some limit. But to MY way of thinking, not EVERY watch has to go in a fancy display case. Only the top ones. (that's what I tell myself to justify the overflow into drawers)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Lose the wife.
Keep the watches.
Problem solved.
You're welcome :D

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
It’s more of a challenge to do nothing, so maybe chill for a while, enjoy what you have, play around with some aftermarket straps. There’s no rush, always something waiting out there to be bought, hold out for some time, you’ll be glad you did, I guaranty it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm, it is tough to give hood advice without knowing the 2 watches you've wanted for a while, and knowing how likely they are to be around next year.

If there's a chance they'll not be around, I would plan a mid-year purchase of one, and a mid-to-late-year of the other. This would give you time to see if anything else comes out from a micro that you want more, and still ensure you get one, if not both in case nothing else tickles your fancy.

If both watches are here for the long term, then I would delay the purchases to later in the year than the previous timeline.
True the two which I have wanted for some time are the Seiko Monster 2nd gen and Orient Pepsi Mako.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hard to say. I would be tempted to buy something form my long term short list by the summer, but I'd keep one slot open for a super hot micro brand offer that might show up. If the slot is still open near the end of the year, it might give you a better position for the 2016 negotiations. A strategic reserve, so to speak. ;-)

I'm really happy that my girlfriend doesn't care how many watches I buy or own..
Thats not a bad idea, I will have to keep that in mind. Thanks!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why even get anymore, if your wife is already p1ssed with you why not just enjoy what you've got and the two that are incoming? You haven't even got them yet and you are still planning for more!
Well it's not so much that she is p!sssed, but more that my watches no longer fit inside the 24slot case and I have a bunch sitting on the dresser in the boxes taking up space. That and I feel bad having them sit there getting little to no wrist time.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, it seems to come down to my overspending coupled with a baby. To me the Baby is a bit more important than overspending on watches for another year. So limiting it to 4 watches on top of wrangling those that don't quite fit in the box seems to be the best option overall. Although I do like the idea of a play money fund, never thought of that. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Im pretty much in the same boat, but I get around it (not sure if I get away with it though) For Christmas, Birthday, and our Wedding Anniversary she buys me watches. Thats 3. Next there is always one or two on preorder (I bought it last year! Dear!) thats 5 or 6. Also after I get home from work I put all my big coins in a money box(King Kong) she knows this and doesn't get too annoyed when I spit his head open when he's full. Might be another watch or two in it. But most importantly Ive learned to try and control my impulse buying and give it a few days, come back have another look and most of the time Im glad I didn't buy it. I also give away as birthday presents or sell the watches I no longer want. So family needs first,self control, budget and King Kong all help! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
71,208 Posts
I'm a bird in the hand sort of guy so I would pull the trigger now. It could be that sometime in 2015 a watch is launched that really grabs you and you would have missed out but equally there could be nothing that appeals to you in which case you would be the winner.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'd say definitely leave at least one slot open for amazing new releases that you just can't stop thinking about.

As unless you plan on staying off here and all other watch forums I guarantee you will see something that just has to be added to the collection, and with so many of the microbrands doing really small production runs a lot of them are not around for long.

You could also try buying a watch for the missus every now and then as a surprise and see if you can convince her to let you have one more slot in return ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts