WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recieved a Rolex Explorer ii for Christmas and noticed that it was running about 15-30 seconds slow each day. The watch was purchased from Dallas Gold and Silver, and I came with a 2 year warranty. I dropped it off 2 weeks ago and explained what I wanted to have fixed. Yesterday I called them and spoke with a manager about the service. He told me that they replaced the hairspring, mainspring, and balance bridge. Apparently they only use aftermarket parts.
My question is this:
Does replacing these Rolex parts with aftermarket part significantly hurt the value of the watch?
Do you think that the store will sell the original Rolex parts for a profit?
Do most independent watch repair shops replace authentic parts with aftermarket?

I am just concerned because something just doesn't smell right about the situation.
What are your thoughts?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,469 Posts
I think that you should ask them whether they use after market parts before accepting the repair. Then decide whether to go ahead. I am suprised that a used watch of that quality was sold without performing those repairs beforehand. Presumably it was sold without a basic service having been performed either or they would have spotted the problems. You may want to consider having Rolex look at the watch.

·
Registered
137 Posts
to answer your questions specifically, yes, it would be reasonable to say that the valuation of the watch would be impacted by using non OE parts. i doubt that they would resell the parts for profit but you really do not know, i would ask for the parts back upon receipt of the watch back.

the independent repair shop that i do business with does use OE parts be it rolex, rado, cartier, etc... he always asks if i want the parts back, will show them to me when i go to pick up the watch(es) & explain why these were replaced.

you may want to get a copy of the warranty to review the specifics but unfortunately, i believe that you may be stuck & have little recourse. i'm suspecting the store where the watch was purchased is not a AD & they are covering the watch under their in house warranty. good luck.
cheers,
larry

·
Registered
13,990 Posts
Man, I don't think I'd want generic parts in an expensive watch. You're only option may be to pony up for a service from Rolex.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Dallas Gold and Silver doesn't appear to be a Rolex AD which means the warranty they offer is their own and not a Rolex warranty. Rolex will not offer a warranty for a gray market watch. At least not in the US.

Since DG&S isn't an AD or a Rolex certified repair center, they don't have a reliable source of Rolex parts so they use aftermaket for their warranty work instead. This is probably outlined somewhere in the warranty paperwork.

Rolex is tyrannical about controlling the availability of their parts and only provide them to repair centers they have certified. They also usually keep the old parts when replacing them so I'd expect not to get my parts back if the watch was repaired at an RSC or by a Rolex certified independent. Since it wasn't, I'd ask for my parts back or get an explanation as to why not. Rolex is not involved in this transaction as far as I can see so they shouldn't need to send the parts to them.

The aftermarket parts will likely function just fine and the watch will no doubt keep good time. But many will consider it a frankenwatch, and yes, it affects the value in the secondhand market. Rolex watches have in house movements. Yours...well...not quite so much anymore.

OTOH, if you plan to keep the watch it doesn't really matter at this point. No one else will know unless you tell them or the watch is opened. In ten years or so when you send it off to RSC for service, the aftermarket parts will be replaced with OE (they'll require it) and you'll get nice paperwork and a new one year warranty which will add value to the watch for resale and the whole issue will be negated.

I wouldn't be thrilled, but I also wouldn't sweat it too much. Enjoy your watch.

Jeannie

P.S. I don't have a problem with the gray market in general, but I usually caution folks not to buy expensive highly modified ETA or in house watches on the gray market because if you have a warranty issue you end up with exactly this problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GinGinD,
Thank you for the excellent post. Very concise. You answers a lot of my questions and concerns. I'll just have to pony up the money and send it to Rolex for a service the next time it is due.
I prefer to keep everything Rolex certified.
My father bought the watch for me for Christmas, so I cant complain about anything. But he had the store replace the sapphire crystal with an aftermarket on because the original one looked funny. I didn't have the heart to tell him this was a mistake. Reminds me of a scene out of the Steve Martin movie "The Jerk".
Steve Martin- "Waiter!!!! Why do you keep bringing us this OLD wine? Who do you think we are? Bring us the brand new stuff!!!
Waiter: "Yes sir!! Absolutely"

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
"Gift from Dad" trumps everything else. I wouldn't worry about the other stuff until service time and just enjoy the heck out of my watch, especially the crystal my dad picked out just for me.

Jeannie

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
No way would I accept this. They certainly should not have replaced with aftermarket parts without your consent (to which you should have declined). Get your original parts and your money back and then have a Rolex authorized watchmaker service it. If you ever send this to Rolex they will replace them back at your cost. I am saying this on the assumption that it matters to you, which is supported by you initiating this thread. It'd certainly matter to me.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
but I usually caution folks not to buy expensive highly modified ETA or in house watches on the gray market because if you have a warranty issue you end up with exactly this problem.
It's worth noting that some grey-market warranties just send the watch to an authorized service center. Amazon and Costco both do this, for example (if they don't just immediately replace the watch, which apparently is even more common). As with all warranties, the actual value of a watch warranty varies considerably.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts