WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for making the Eco-Zilla divers. Really great work. The watch is a beast. If my car ever goes off the road into the water, I know the watch will keep working and that, if necessary, I can also use the watch to break the windshield and free myself from the sinking car.

If I told you that I have an idea that could double and even triple your current unit sales, would you be interested? Great. I'm telling you guys, it is so simple it is brilliant - you'll love it. Here it is: offer the same watch but with an automatic movement!

I know, I know - you already have an automatic Zilla. Right. It's a great watch. But, there are alot of buyers who really don't want to step up to a 52mm size, prefer stainless steel over Ti, and who really would rather stay under $400 for a Miyota auto watch. I'm sure you can understand.

And, I'm willing to bet that you can install a 8215 auto in the Eco-Zilla cheaper than the Eco solar movement that you currently use. So, in terms of economies of scale, you can offer your new AutoZilla-300 at the same price as the current model and make more money per unit while also selling twice or three times the number of units. How does that grab ya?

Now you know how much you would have to pay a marketing consultant to tell you the same thing as I just did? Right. Don't worry about it. It's gratis, amigos. Just take my idea and run with it. After you find out how right I am and you double production and see your per unit profits upcurve, then we can have a sit down. You can just give me a free AutoZilla-300 or two or ten as a token of your appreciation and we can part as friends. All the Best guys. b-)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I certainly agree! :-!
I chose the SS over the Ti for a reason and where I don't mind that its a quartz, I'd buy it as an auto, too. I'm sure a lot of sales were lost due to the fact that many don't go for quartz. (And it would be nice if they added a day wheel |>)

·
Registered
190 Posts
We appreciate your input and ideas. Certainly we will pass them to the appropriate teams.

Automatic watches to appeal to a wide variety of people, but may not be so popular with many others. Eco Drive simply run with accurate timekeeping without having to worry about ensuring enough activity to wind the watch.

Sincerely
Customer Service
COA

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
We appreciate your input and ideas. Certainly we will pass them to the appropriate teams.

Automatic watches to appeal to a wide variety of people, but may not be so popular with many others. Eco Drive simply run with accurate timekeeping without having to worry about ensuring enough activity to wind the watch.

Sincerely
Customer Service
COA
COA, Citizen Japan released this year some gorgeous NP series automatic watches that sadly are not available to us here. I would love to add one to my collection (Let the sales team know that WIS here would consider them highly).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ahh, these are indeed nice models, but do keep in mind for the most part, models chosen for the U.S. collection must have broad, mass market appeal.

COA, Citizen Japan released this year some gorgeous NP series automatic watches that sadly are not available to us here. I would love to add one to my collection (Let the sales team know that WIS here would consider them highly).

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Sincerely
Customer Service
COA

Many thanks for taking the time to consider. Indeed, the Eco Drive movement is truly excellent. Really appreciate your reply. You guys are great |>|>

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You guys really think that people will flock to a Citizen automatic in this country?
________

I sincerely do. Especially with the Zilla model. Most that own it or would consider it are dive watch enthusiasts. A very high currency is placed on divers with automatic movements and the majority of divers are sold as automatics. Citizen has seen a great success with its NY0040 series of automatic divers and, by the forums, quite a few American's own at least one. (In the case of Motowatch -- the entire "family" of the series, lol). And, we can look at brands like Invicta that have sold huge numbers of their Ocean Ghost divers series and many other various divers in America all powered by Miyota 8215's. Many of the micro-brands who have offered solid well-built divers with Miyota automatic movement have sold out their stock very quickly, aided by a great number of American buyers (the Halios Holotype and the Deep Blue 1k are two recent examples of this).

Most of the current owners of the EcoZilla would very highly consider buying the AutoZilla300 model. A few have already mentioned it in this thread and I'm another one that definitely would. Current EcoZilla owners know what an incredible diver it is and would love to add an auto version. Fact is that most dive watch enthusiasts are already very comfortable with the Miyota auto movement and have at least one other diver with one in it. So, the current EcoZilla owners are a built in market for the new AutoZilla300 model. And, the release of a automatic version of the EcoZilla would generate a huge buzz and open the watch to a whole new market of dive watch buyers that would not have ever considered it before, imo.

But, it is definitely a good question to wonder and there is always the element of risk. Just from the perspective that I can see, it looks like the weight of the evidence out there points to a reasonable chance of tilting the way of a profitable and successful release of an AutoZilla300, imo.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
If the EcoZilla were an automatic, I would simply not buy it.
IMO, it is a sure way to lose sales by making it into an auto (think average person, not a WIS).
Heck, even I as a WIS wouldnt buy an autozilla.
The Eco Drive that powers this watch is superb.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Timeseeker: We can all agree that the Eco Drive is a stellar movement. The desire for an automatic version has nothing to do with suggesting that the Eco Drive isn't excellent for a solar quartz.

Do you have an Eco-Zilla?

What automatic divers do you have and, if any, why did you buy them?

How could Citizen possibly lose sales by offering an automatic option? That would mean more sales no matter how you look at it. No one has suggested that they replace the EcoZilla with an automatic - only offer an auto option.

Sounds like to me you might have an strange bias against automatics, otherwise how could it bother you if a automatic version of the EcoZilla were released?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mini: you already have quite a few automatics. Why would an automatic version of the EcoZilla be such an passionate issue for you to oppose? The market for automatic divers is huge and the demand is definitely there judging by the fact that the best selling divers out there are all automatics. The EcoZilla would not be replaced, only offered with an auto option. The mo' options, the mo' better, imo |>|>

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
I do not oppose mechanicals as I am equally attracted to them. I am simply playing the part of being the Devil's advocate. Outside of the realm of the watch enthusiast community the vast majority of people are not interested in the "hassles" of owning a purely mechanical watch, at least not in the US.

Is that perception changing? Perhaps. Citizen is not known here to be a purveyor of automatic watches. Their entire business plan relies on the Eco-Drive movement, from $150 watches all the way to $1,000 Signature Collection pieces. Notice that aside from the Autozilla 1000m diver, there are no other mechanical offerings in the US market.

If Citizen were to offer the new NP 1000/3000 series dress mechanical watches here, I would buy one in a heartbeat. But the vast majority of people out there, that do not care for watches as much as we do, will never understand why a mechanical movement that is inherently more delicate and less accurate will be a better option over the set it and forget it more accurate solar quartz movement.

We are a rare species of people that obsess over watches day in and day out.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Respect Mini |> In the 7th post down on this thread, I think I make a halfway semi-decent case why I think that the diver watch buyer is an exception to the general rule that you described. Anyone considering a Zilla is a dive watch guy first and foremost. The number of dive watches sold with Citizen automatic movements (in the U.S. and world-wide) is a significant percentage of the whole.

It would be nice if Citizen used their own auto movement in more of their own watches, especially their divers and most especially in the EcoZilla case. The EcoZilla is a perfect vehicle in which they can showcase their own movement in their own watch. As you touched on, the vast vast majority of Citizen Miyota auto powered watches (diver and non) are not Citizen brands. With a release of an AutoZilla300, Citizen could have a wonderful opportunity to capture some serious market share in the very large automatic diver market. Of course, just my thoughts. Best |>

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Timeseeker: We can all agree that the Eco Drive is a stellar movement. The desire for an automatic version has nothing to do with suggesting that the Eco Drive isn't excellent for a solar quartz.

Do you have an Eco-Zilla?
Hi, I have the Titanium EcoZilla.
What automatic divers do you have and, if any, why did you buy them?
I have dozens of auto divers. I bought them because I am a WIS and i collect watches. I also love Solar/kinetic/battery quartz watches.

How could Citizen possibly lose sales by offering an automatic option? That would mean more sales no matter how you look at it. No one has suggested that they replace the EcoZilla with an automatic - only offer an auto option.
I dont have Citizen's accounting books handy, but I would guess a launch of an auto version would cost more than it will bring in profits.
But that is just going on a hunch by the way I perceive the market, and, well, obviously Citizen seems to agree for this specific model.
Sounds like to me you might have an strange bias against automatics, otherwise how could it bother you if a automatic version of the EcoZilla were released?
That is a rather strange conclusion to make with the limited info that I gave. In some instances (especially sporting activities) I have a preference for quartz, I would not call it a bias. I never said it would bother me, just that I would not buy one, and that I didnt believe the average Joe would either, however I did buy the Ti Zilla. I am merely expressing my opinion that for this specific watch, eco drive was the best choice. There is a reason the vast majority of Citizen's divers are not automatics, and I am guessing they did their research before launching the watches.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I think an auto 300M would sell well, look at all the automatic divers watches we buy.

On the flip side I was going to CAD up and maybe make a movement spacer that would allow the use of an 8215 in the Ecozilla, even though it is a sometime next year project, it would be dead in the water if Citizen did it :-d

1 - 20 of 34 Posts