WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been bearing with the waiting of 15, 30 seconds for the main subforum to load for 4, 5 days already

It took away my attention while waiting, and interest in replying

Thanks
G-fob

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I'll give you a bump |>

cheers

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Please provide the following info to help with a diagnosis. Many problems are related to Internet performance and client side issues.
Operating System on your computer
CPU type and speed
Browser Type and Version
Amount of RAM in your computer
Please run this speed test and let us know the result:
Alken.nl - Online speedtest

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Please provide the following info to help with a diagnosis. Many problems are related to Internet performance and client side issues.
Operating System on your computer
CPU type and speed
Browser Type and Version
Amount of RAM in your computer
Please run this speed test and let us know the result:
Alken.nl - Online speedtest
Hi. I promise it's nothing to do with people's O/S, cpu speed, browser, memory, or connection speed. There is a script running on the site which is causing either everyone or nearly everyone who uses this subforum to experience really slow loading speeds and stuttery page scrolling.

Using the 'noscript' plugin for Firefox ENTIRELY eliminates the problem, whereas without that fix even a super-fast liquid cooled quad-core machine with plenty of memory and a fast internet connection experiences tediously slow page loads and unsmooth page scrolling, I promise you.

Do you not experience this yourself Ray?

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,590 Posts
Since I am using a slow laptop and a wifi connection I have to share with about 400 iPods, iPhones, smatphones, tablets and laptops, I did not notice f17 is slow. This is the speed I am used too, unfortunately (specially on my slow laptop).

Due to unforeseen (temporarily) circumstances it will be probably not possible to fix the problem in a short time notice, though, now I see that Ray is working personally on it, it might get solved faster I thought.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sjors

·
Registered
836 Posts
I agree completely, as my experience with this website, and specifically the Casio forum, is that it often is very slow indeed. And using "noscript" within FF does eliminate the issue on my laptop as well. Hope there is something that can be found and better, as I tend to check this forum daily :) Thanks in advance for the attention...

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm running f17 primarily on an ipad2 on wifi. Whatever was done, if anything, in the past day, the load time went from about 30 seconds to about 5. The others, like f29 or f296 are instant. Getting there.

Mike

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm running f17 primarily on an ipad2 on wifi. Whatever was done, if anything, in the past day, the load time went from about 30 seconds to about 5. The others, like f96 is instant. Getting there. Mike
Aha! Let my check on my ipad2 as well, as loading times on it were even worse then on the laptop... Well darn it...on the ipad2 still slow as hell. Both Safari and iCab. Safari doesn't even load the page...it times out. I removed all history/cache in Safari and iCab before testing. Speed within FF on laptop is indeed now very fast.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This is by far the slowest site I browse. Doesn't keep me from looking but it would be nice for it to be fixed. I will try the Firefox plugin.
I have never known this site to be fast or smooth ever lol .... And somedays I dread getting on here due to it being soooo slow and slugish, don't get me wrong I love this site and it's members but dang is it ever slow. I browse 9 other sites and they are FAST!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys for chipping in and you guys surprised me with your knowledge of internet and web-browser (i thought you all just know Gshocks LOL) special thanks to the Gent with firefox and no-script add-on, I was using Opera for this forum, and everything related to Gshock, I am now moving the entire operation to Firefox

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
special thanks to the Gent with firefox and no-script add-on, I was using Opera for this forum, and everything related to Gshock, I am now moving the entire operation to Firefox
You're very welcome, but keep in mind that this is only a workaround rather than a fix. For the purposes of browsing it will work a treat ...the forum will zip along fast as can be, however when it comes to making a post you'll have to select 'temporarily allow watchuseek.com' in order to be able to quote people, use line breaks, insert images, etc. Once you've made your post you'll then have to select 'revoke temporary permissions' to have the forum go back to loading fast again.

The only people who can really fix the problem are those who maintain the site. Still, I have every faith in the staff here. My experience of the mods has been very positive, and I expect that it's only a matter of a few hours/days before the admins turn off whatever page element it is that's slowing things down for the users.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I emailed Sjors and Ernie last weekend about this. Ernie said that no one else was having the same problem (although I was giving up after 30 seconds & thought I was unable to get in). Still only this forum that seems to have the problems (of the ones I visit anyway).

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm also experiencing massive sluggishness. It's really bad with IE (browser almost locking up), in Firefox (with Adblock Plus) it's still severely annoying. The status bar of Firefox indicates that the site is waiting for some external stuff. This happens both on my home DSL 6000 as well as company T1. No other forums that I use are showing poor performance like this.

I do suspect the integration with the Facebook, Twitter and particularly Google +1 buttons (waiting status message shows server names including "plusone" and "gstatic"). Especially the +1 button shows up just after the waiting time is complete and the rest of the page loads. I want to emphasize that I don't have any issues with accessing any Google services. I'm a regular and heavy user of Gmail, Calendar, Maps, Reader and Picasa without any issues at all.

While we're at the topic of the forum software: I've also sort of accepted in the past months that the forum tool to mark threads read is apparently broken forever since one of the latest software upgrades. If I use the feature, it only marks the threads in the subforums section at the top read, not those in the threads section.

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Hi G-fob et al,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Basically I do not know why the Casio G-Shock forum is slowing down. And it doesn't help you all either, when I told you the speed for me is fine.

I discussed this with my tech team and was advised to reduce the number of threads from 200 to 75 to show up on the first page. My tech team is looking into other ways to improve the site as well.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one. I emailed Sjors and Ernie last weekend about this. Ernie said that no one else was having the same problem.
I've asked friends in Poland, UK, and USA to check this subforum and they ALL experience conspicuous sluggishness, even with top notch hardware. It's definitely a problem with the site and not with your setup.

Can an admin possibly post in this thread to say how soon they hope to have the problem fixed?

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Do you not experience this yourself Ray?
The G-Shock forum loads for me (from the main forum page) in 11 seconds. We have plenty of evidence that the browser version and the amount of RAM in a PC does affect the speed of load. We connect from all over the world so there will be effects from that as well. I am not saying we can't improve on the server side but if you are using an obsolete browser with old Flash that will slow you down for sure.
For what it's worth I have an AMD quad core, 4 GB of RAM, Windows 7, Google Chrome 14 or Firefox 7 and the latest Flash. I get about 2400 MBits on the speed test in Ottawa Canada which is about half as fast as a local server.
You can try the addon NoScript if you want. I use that on some very old machines (1998 and 1999) because the Browsers I have for them are not upgradable and I get script errors. NoScript eliminates these errors but it is still very painful. I ran these machines to test the site with very inadequate hardware and software. I doubt that any Member is connecting with stuff that old.
However I do not have what I would consider to be major issues with the site. Shoppewatch.com appears to be a hangup for me but if they are a paying sponsor I can live with it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.