WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Watch lovers,
I am looking for a blue dial watch on a leather strap. Most of my watch collection is in black dial. I am confused between a vertical teak dial Aqua Terra Vs new Horizontal teak dial Aqua Terra. I know the new 2017 Aqua Terra didn't receive much love on these forums. I have to admit that vertical teak lines AT was love at first sight. But now I have started to like the new Aqua Terras (may be we are seeing the vertical lines for a long time). The new horizontal teak lines are not my favorite but I like the symmetry on new dials, date window at 6 O'clock, the new crown etc. The new dial is lighter than older dial and it gives a contrast with dark blue strap. The older blue dial almost looks black in the low light. Above all I like the Omegas new METAS certified movements. If someone has the pictures of new Aqua Terra in a blue dial that would be greatly appreciated. I went to OB at South Coast Plaza and they didn't let me take off the protective screen from the dial, so the pictures of the dial didn't come as sharp. Please let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

Reactions: TwentiethCenturyFox

·
Registered
490 Posts
Tough choice, but I'm not sure you can go wrong.

I have the 8500, and initially didn't love the look of the 8900, but it's seriously grown on me the more real world photos I've seen.

If you prefer the date at 6, then you may just want to jump on the new one.

The other differences (other than the direction of the stripes) are the naiad lock case back, the METAS certification, the differently shaped crown, the symmetrical case, and a little less dial text.

These all seem like small improvements, but I'm not sure they'd swing a buying decision either way for me.

I prefer the date at 3, and quite like the integrated crown guards, so I'm perfectly happy to stick with my 8500 for now. METAS is nice to have, but my 8500 is super consistent in terms of accuracy (+1.6), and has the same anti-magnetic rating as the new one.

So it's not worth an upgrade, IMHO, but if I were buying new... I'd probably just go with the date position I prefer. Everything else is small potatoes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I like both, but the latest AT is just too gorgeous and well designed

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
I don’t think you can go wrong either way. Whichever gives you the biggest buzz or best price or whatever informs your decision.

Nigel

·
Registered
238 Posts
I prefer the vertical stripes and the thinner bezel (this is how I see it from pictures, although it may be due to a less upright angle compared to the 8500)
However the METAS and upgraded movement, makes the latest model very appealing.

I'm honeymooning with this though:
2018-01-06 16.50.01.jpg

·
Registered
327 Posts
Agreed, do what you like, but I can also completely relate to not knowing what you like! I faced a similar dilemma when the latest 8500MC came out - older with date window and brushed links and no master chrono, or MC with no date window plus PCLs. Ultimately I convinced myself of the master and realized I liked the no date window better. That being said, the window vs no window controversy now seems insignificant compared to this complete redesign with horizontal lines. The latest AT doesn't arouse any desire or regrets on my part, but YMMV.

Bob

·
Registered
411 Posts
Another one for the 8500. There's something not right with the 8900. The horizontal lines and the date a 6, the polished bracelet!! The 8500 all the way.

·
Registered
718 Posts
For me, the 8900 series sold me on the AT. I much prefer the horizontal to the vertical, and the symmetrical date a "6" is a winner for me. I would prefer no PCL on the bracelet, but I'm not using the bracelet...

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I still have my AT with the old school four hertz 2500B movement. That being said, stick with the new-old school 8500.

Reactions: Scalpel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for quick response guys. I was sold on the vertical lines and liked the thinner bezel. But when I paid attention to the details I found that AT 8500 case is thicker on the crown side and looks crooked. I am leaning towards a newer model due to a new date position, METAS and symmetrical case. I just have to overcome the horizontal lines :).

I do not like the PCL on the newer model therefore I want to get it on a leather strap.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My vote for 8900 - more universal and sporty (if You want - great rubber strap) look.

iP8
This watch is a stunner.....looks gorgeous on a leather strap. Its definitely sportier than the older model. I wish if Omega had selected a leather strap with white contrast stitching (like on a 38mm model). I like the rubber strap but its lighter in color.

Thanks for sharing the picture. Enjoy in good health!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The new one is very good looking, but to me the older one with cal. 8500 is even better looking.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for quick response guys. I was sold on the vertical lines and liked the thinner bezel. But when I paid attention to the details I found that AT 8500 case is thicker on the crown side and looks crooked. I am leaning towards a newer model due to a new date position, METAS and symmetrical case. I just have to overcome the horizontal lines :).

I do not like the PCL on the newer model therefore I want to get it on a leather strap.
Ha! I never noticed the crooked case thing until you mentioned it. I just liked how the proeminent case side waves around the bezel on the right side and how it allows the crown to stay recessed, but my brain never wanders that it's not symmetrical with the other side. The crown is the main symmetry "killer" anyway, and the it just distracts from the case thickness.
I think it was a very smart design decision to keep the case robust. We almost never look perpendicularly to the dial, so it just doesn't pop up.

Anyway, wichever your choice, you'll enjoy this watch greatly!

·
Registered
877 Posts
I think omega have done a great job with the 8900. A nice evolution of the aqua terra. I'd go the 8900. Can't lose either way honestly.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
When all is said and done I don’t think any of the later models are a patch on the Skyfall AT. With the date surround I think it’s the most balanced face of all of them. No PCL’s means you can love the bracelet as well and still add a leather strap (2 for the price of one).

Just my thoughts

Supporting pics naturally.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 133 Posts