WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
just from experience i would always get watch on bracelet and then add any strap , it comes much cheaper then if you buy originally on strap and want to add bracelet later . AT is a winner no doubt

Reactions: Miguel

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can definitely vouch for the rubber strap. really high quality and love the ease of the clasp. If you haven't seen the deep blue dial in person go check out it i love it. I do sort of wish i bought the bracelet first and then the rubber (i bought the leather first and then the rubber), simply for the option, but i didn't love the quality of the bracelet.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just arrived today, quite chuffed — though I wish I'd gone for the blue. Went with the 8500 38.5 over the new versions as these were slightly less sporty when I saw them in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
just from experience i would always get watch on bracelet and then add any strap , it comes much cheaper then if you buy originally on strap and want to add bracelet later . AT is a winner no doubt
I agree this is normally the way to go, certainly with seamaster 300m but NOT SO with the AT if you want the rubber strap afterwards. Its better to buy it on rubber and add the bracelet as it can work out cheaper. The reason for this is the little bars across the lugs are a separate order so you need 1 strap, 1 clasp and 2 bars. Going from memory I think it was £195 for the strap, £250 for the clasp and £70 for each bar which is pretty much the price of the bracelet so you make a saving by getting the watch on rubber with the lower purchase price. Its not a fortune but its better in your pocket. Prices may vary from country to country but potential buyers might like to check their options.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I really like the new dial and color options but prefer the old case design. I have never been a butterfly clasp fan so this has always been a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I ordered the rubber strap two months ago from a DC area AD. Metal bits still on backorder. All in, the 3 parts retailed for about $620.00 US. I got a nice discount, so it made sense to me to get it, but full retail is quite steep.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I really like the new dial and color options but prefer the old case design. I have never been a butterfly clasp fan so this has always been a deal breaker for me.

Many on this forum, myself included, shared the same sentiments before getting an AT. But I have to say that I've never had a better fitting bracelet than this one with a butterfly clasp. No lie. I even owned a Pelagos a while back. And I've read many others say it's a non-issue. Maybe we just got lucky.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
553 Posts
Great article. Any idea if the 8900 rubber strap fits the 8500 series, with the 0.5mm difference?

Took the plunge and I can confirm it fits like a glove.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would go for the AT 8900 hands down for the sole reason that the 8500 lacks a quick date change function. I flipped mine only after a few months because of this.
I think it's the 8800 that has the quick date change, isn't it? As far as I know, the 8500 and 8900 are functionally identical.

·
Premium Member
5,949 Posts
I think it's the 8800 that has the quick date change, isn't it? As far as I know, the 8500 and 8900 are functionally identical.
I take that back - I think you're right, I'm wrong. The 8900 movement does lack the quick date change as well so forget what I just said.

When I called the Omega Boutique about the new SMP, they told me that it was powered by the 8900 movement and I specifically asked about the quick date change function and they confirmed that it's present on that movement and watch, which is only half right. The new SMP is powered by the 8800 movement, not 8900, as I found out from reading this article.

My bad.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've been lusting after a blue AT 8500 for almost a year. I prefer the vertical stripes, as the blue seems to be much richer, and, like with shirts or jackets, the horizontal stripes make me look fat.

I have the AT Ti Good-Planet GMT for sporty/business casual wear, and I've been looking for a pre-owned blue vertical stripe 8500 as a dressier alternative. I like the look of the SS date-window frame, but not a deal-breaker for me. This past weekend, I was in my favorite Omega AD (Topper's in Burlingame, CA) and they had just taken a 41mm blue AT 8500 in trade. Should arrive on Wednesday, and I am eagerly anticipating the second unboxing (first one was at the AD).

It feels very comfortable on the bracelet, and I may get the blue alligator strap with deployant, as well.

Images when received!

Ron

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have the silver with orange second hand 8900 in route. I already have the blue 8500 with the date coffin. Originally I was looking at the same model in silver but I was uncertain how I felt about how it washed out in certain light with the polished indices. Also, I wasn’t sure I wanted two of the same watch just different colors. As of now, I have no feelings toward the changes made to the new model. We’ll see after a few weeks of wear.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I went for the 8500, I prefer the vertical lines, rather than the horizontal.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm not really understanding the debate lol. The movements are nearly identical. The case sizes and shape are a little bit different and the dial is different. Both can be had in a variety of colors. It's just a matter of personal taste. The AT 8500 can be had for a cheaper price. That for me is the only non-aesthetic driving point.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm not really understanding the debate lol. The movements are nearly identical. The case sizes and shape are a little bit different and the dial is different. Both can be had in a variety of colors. It's just a matter of personal taste. The AT 8500 can be had for a cheaper price. That for me is the only non-aesthetic driving point.
I agree. There’s really no difference between the 8500 and the 8900 aside from the writing on the plates. Also, if you like the 8500 movement but want it in a smaller form factor (38.5mm), the 2014 AT is the way to go. Aside from aesthetics, there are few practical differences. The extra METAS certification doesn’t mean much to me—but it might to you.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I agree. There’s really no difference between the 8500 and the 8900 aside from the writing on the plates. Also, if you like the 8500 movement but want it in a smaller form factor (38.5mm), the 2014 AT is the way to go. Aside from aesthetics, there are few practical differences. The extra METAS certification doesn’t mean much to me—but it might to you.
Bingo. Most of the newer 8500s could probably pass METAS anyhow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all, I sold my 007 Sea-Master watch a few years ago and have always regretted it. I will be going to the shops on Thursday to look at the 41 AT blue 8900, I have been doing a lot of research on this model and I am so glad to have found this thread.

One question I have is, do all these Omega’s have a always returning down pointing Ω logo ?
Or is this just luck.

Many thanks.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts