WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Get the new 8900. Far better accuracy with the MeTAS certification. I have both movements and the 8500 is about +8 s/d while the 8900 is +0.3 s/d. Their Work on the 8900 is nothing short of amazing. The teak dial and date at 6 o’clock also bring a classier, and more balanced, dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: t_mac86

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get the new 8900. Far better accuracy with the MeTAS certification. I have both movements and the 8500 is about +8 s/d while the 8900 is +0.3 s/d. Their Work on the 8900 is nothing short of amazing. The teak dial and date at 6 o’clock also bring a classier, and more balanced, dial.

That really is a big difference, thank you for pointing that out, i was first looking at the Seiko presage range, they can be over 20 s/d.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Both are great. I liked the vertical lines better so I went with the 8500, but I do wish I had the 8900 movement. Can’t go wrong with either. Such versatile, robust timepieces. whichever you decide, wear it in good health!

0FD24F39-01C2-4DE7-8EAF-239EF463D412.jpeg

Reactions: EightEyes

·
Registered
9 Posts
I saw a YouTube video the other week and a guy was saying his crown logo always returned to the same aligned position on the new AT is this true please ?
As on the non AT models below.
Omega.jpg
Omega2.jpg

·
Registered
490 Posts
I saw a YouTube video the other week and a guy was saying his crown logo always returned to the same aligned position on the new AT is this true please ?
As on the non AT models below.
View attachment 13747953
View attachment 13747957
I think this must be luck of the draw.

The logo on the crown of my 8500 AT does not align exactly.

I'm sure some % of them line up by chance, but I don't think it's a feature of the watch.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The conical crown on my 8900 really bothered me. I just can't get past it. I was close to picking up a 38.5mm model (I know, with the 8800 in it), but I could not do it. The crown is a bigger design flaw than the so-called Reese's Peanut Butter Cup HEV on the SMP, imo. The 8500 models would be the choice for me, fickle as my reasoning may seem.

BTW- the hype for the 8900 is real. Mine gained fractions of a second per day over the few months that I owned the watch. And the quick hour-set function was very cool to operate. Made me wish I was a traveler just to use it more often.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I was firmly in the original "Skyfall" camp until I saw these photos on Hodinkee a couple of days ago. Did you know the 8800 AT has circular graining on the minute track?!?

Can someone here post similarly high resolution photos of the older models' dials? Would be greatly appreciated. :)

In the side by side photo earlier in this thread the new blue dial does look lighter, which is not really an advantage for me, and in most of these photos it looks quite dark. Can you confirm that difference in darkness? Can anyone post more side by side photos? Thanks!

Here is the link to even more photos: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/three-on-three-grand-seiko-omega-rolex-automatics

BTW, does anyone else think that the rubber strap is too purple, too light, and too saturated in color, so that it clashes with the dial most of the time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi.
I am looking to get my first Omega this year and really like the colour combinations of the latest 8900 41mm version. Problem is I have a slim 6.5 inch wrist. Would this be to large for me or should I be looking at th 38.5mm?
Unless I am missing something the colour combinations on the 38mm models seems more restrained?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
490 Posts
Did you know the 8800 AT has circular graining on the minute track?!?
The 8500MC does, too!

A couple of my photos show this if you zoom in closely. I'll try posting, but they are usually compressed in the process to the point where this level of detail will be lost.

It's a very subtle detail... I didn't notice it until I'd owned the watch for a while. Very cool effect when you catch it in the right light, however.

Enjoy your search for the right Aqua Terra for you! I prefer the date at 3, but every version of the AT has its fans, and lots of interesting color variations. Good luck!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi.
I am looking to get my first Omega this year and really like the colour combinations of the latest 8900 41mm version. Problem is I have a slim 6.5 inch wrist. Would this be to large for me or should I be looking at th 38.5mm?
Unless I am missing something the colour combinations on the 38mm models seems more restrained?

Go with the 38mm. I think you’ll be happier in the long run. I love my AT, but should have gone 38. Same size wrist as you.

In this photo it doesn’t look too large, but to you eye it will. On the bracelet it looks like a satellite. Lol

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cheers for the advice. I was close to going for the 8900 with the Silver / White dial, Orange highlights and rubber strap.
Not sure what to go for in the 38mm.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Cheers for the advice. I was close to going for the 8900 with the Silver / White dial, Orange highlights and rubber strap.
Not sure what to go for in the 38mm.

They do the blue, like mine, in a 38mm. It’s gorgeous. Blue is the new black. Can go with anything. Can be dressed up or down.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes the 38mm Blue looks nice on the bracelet.
The 38mm seem a bit more pricey than the 41mm on Chrono24

·
Registered
88 Posts
Came across this thread while researching 8900 vs 8500, leaning towards 8500, anyone has rexommendations on AD or a deal on 8500? PM please.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

101 - 120 of 133 Posts