WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own both, with different color and they just look totally like a different watches as I ask people opinion.
They are both great, I will post picture comparison.

Why 8900 is better
8900 is better than 8500 for small wrist people like me. For 8900 I can pull off 41 mm due to its lug and bracelet design still look good on my small 5 inch wrist. For 8500 I can only go for 38.5 mm.
Dial is cleaner now - some wordings are removed.
Bracelet is slimmer and lighter -watch overall lighter and slimmer.

Why 8500 is better
Case design looks less bulky. Date window at 3 is better than 6.

Other than that, they both look good. I wouldn't say vertical is better than horizontal as they give a different look to the watch , horizontal looks more distinctive than other watches and modern looking. They both look great.

Plastic second hand is always a turn off and give a cheap look to the watch, this is a downside of the new Aqua terra, but they do give the choice with silver second hand. I think omega should not follow rolex footstep of introducing plastic second hand or hour hand and stick to their own.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Whoa! I am visiting the AD today to check out the 8500 and the newer 41mm 8900. Couldn't have bumped into a better thread!

My heart wants the new 8900 as I prefer the symmetry and less clutter on the watch dial (its a watch dial not a book - Stop writing so much on it already!) but no harm checking them out side by side.

The AD has told me that the price differential is small as people still come looking to buy the older version. So, it will all boil down to what watch looks better 'at that moment' for me!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Whoa! I am visiting the AD today to check out the 8500 and the newer 41mm 8900. Couldn't have bumped into a better thread!

My heart wants the new 8900 as I prefer the symmetry and less clutter on the watch dial (its a watch dial not a book - Stop writing so much on it already!) but no harm checking them out side by side.

The AD has told me that the price differential is small as people still come looking to buy the older version. So, it will all boil down to what watch looks better 'at that moment' for me!

·
Registered
3,133 Posts

For what its worth, if you go for the older model, make sure you get a good deal on it. The original RRP was higher than the new version so they offer a discount which often makes the watch more expensive than the newer version would be with a discount. Hope that makes sense. Both models are great and its personal choice but don't let them convince you the older model is a better deal as it may not be. Good luck picking your AT. Its a great watch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get the new 8900. Far better accuracy with the MeTAS certification. I have both movements and the 8500 is about +8 s/d while the 8900 is +0.3 s/d. Their Work on the 8900 is nothing short of amazing. The teak dial and date at 6 o’clock also bring a classier, and more balanced, dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it at last. Very happy I went for the 8900.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've owned both. The blue 8500 with the date at 3 without the date window and the new 8900 with the date at 6. I have no fingernails and it is literally impossible to pull the crown out on the new model. The tapered crown offers no grip for my stubby fat fingers with no fingernails. I love the watch but have considered selling it because I can't pull the crown out without some sort of plastic tool to wedge between the crown and the case.

For those of you that have the new version I challenge you to try and pull the crown out without using your fingernails. Good Luck! if you can do it without using fingernails please post with instructions.

·
Registered
461 Posts
That’s odd. The crown tapers inwards so it should help grip a bit better on the new ones. If anything the previous model AT crowns should be harder to grip as the crown is recessed into the case so provide a smaller surface area to grip on.

Mind you I own the 8500 Master coaxials only and hv not seen the new 8900 AT’s in the flesh so my comments are just off the cuff.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That’s odd. The crown tapers inwards so it should help grip a bit better on the new ones. If anything the previous model AT crowns should be harder to grip as the crown is recessed into the case so provide a smaller surface area to grip on.

Mind you I own the 8500 Master coaxials only and hv not seen the new 8900 AT’s in the flesh so my comments are just off the cuff.
The overall diameter of the crown on the new AT is smaller than the diameter of the crown on the older AT. Therefore, less mass to grab a hold of. I have to wear a surgical glove in order to pull the crown out on my new AT. Otherwise my fingers just slip off the crown when I try to grab it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The overall diameter of the crown on the new AT is smaller than the diameter of the crown on the older AT. Therefore, less mass to grab a hold of. I have to wear a surgical glove in order to pull the crown out on my new AT. Otherwise my fingers just slip off the crown when I try to grab it.
My 8900 AT 41mm is nice and simple to pull the crown and my fingers are not really nimble. Are you sure you are remembering to unscrew it first?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I like the 8500 more myself. Vertical pattern, date at 3.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was debating this choice a while ago.
I like the 8900 case and really loved the blue dial but the crown put me off. I don’t like the tapered shape very much and thought it should have been recessed.
I went for a NOS 8500 in the end.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My 8900 AT 41mm is nice and simple to pull the crown and my fingers are not really nimble. Are you sure you are remembering to unscrew it first?
View attachment 15507657
Yes. It's unscrewed but no way can I get enough grip without wearing a rubber glove.

As far as the 8500 vs the 8900 I would buy the 8800 over either the 8500 or 8900. The 8800 is more standard in operation and has the quick set date function versus the quick set hour function.

It's a known fact that the both the 8500 and 8900 are prone to failure over time due to the quick jumping hour hand functionality of those two movements. Additionally, I don't like how the minute hand jumps when setting the time while the second hand is stopped. When you push the crown in the minute hand jumps to a different position than it was in when you press the crown in. Very annoying.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts