WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really starting to get into this hobby again, making lists of watches I want, I've already flipped a couple I purchased over the last year.

But lately I've been doing some soul searching and I honestly think my sweet spot is 2 watches. With just one I keep getting the temptation to buy another, but anything more than two and it starts feeling excessive. Indeed in the past I've always been happiest when I'm rotating two watches.

So, I already have one of the two I want : The Sub 16610. So I just want to add one more, and I think I'll be set. Here's a bit of a short-list of the candidates:

(1) JLC Master Control
(2) Rolex DJ
(3) Speedmaster Pro
(4) Omega SMPc
(5) Rolex Explorer

Which one would be a good complement to the Sub, and make a decent two-watch combo?

Feel free to offer additional candidates as well, thanks.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Shoot for the moon. Omega Speedmaster Pro.
Yes, I'd say Speedmaster Professional. If you tend to dress formally a little more often, I'd go with the Master Control.

Reactions: Mike2 and TheWalrus

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I'm also gravitating towards a 2 watch collection with a Sub and ...

my 'and' will be the Stowa Marine Chono, I think it will compliment my new SubC nicely and is basically a polar opposite with it being chrono, white dial, leather strap, exhibition back, German

Should be shipping out soon and expected to arrive next week, I'll be selling off the remainder and we'll see how it goes!

Out of your list I'd opt for the JLC

Also the best part about a 2 watch collection is that if it doesn't work out you just buy more watches!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
My immediate thought before I read anything was Explorer. But JLC is a great choice if you like leather (I prefer bracelets).

·
Registered
327 Posts
I vote Speedmaster but if you need a dress watch, JLC

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Yes, I'd say Speedmaster Professional. If you tend to dress formally a little more often, I'd go with the Master Control.
Yep - my first thought was Speedmaster Professional. I've always thought that's the best 1-2 punch. Unless you really need a dress watch.

Both from top rate companies.
Both come with loads of history.
Both have designs that have stood the test of time - and will likely continue to.
Both are immaculately built - top notch fit, very high quality pieces.
One was built for the oceans, the other for the skies / stars (although originally intended as a watch for auto racing)

So yeah - since you wear a suit twice a year, I think that's perfect. I agree, though, if you do see yourself wanting / needing a dress watch - go with the JLC. Great mixture of sporty and sophisticated.

Reactions: Alex_TA

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I would say go with something that would diversify your collection of 2. In the Sub you have a diver and black dial watch. So I would cross out all the others except for the Datejust and Master Control. But since you already have a Rolex, I would then eliminate the Datejust, leaving behind the Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control - a dressier watch.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Grand Seiko Hi-beat and a Rolex Sub. The best from the two power houses of watchmaking....
(And if you're only having two watches, the 3 days PR of other GS's won't be of as much value)

483477d1312202562-grand-seiko-sbgh001-everyday-watch-s_sbgh001a.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
You already have one significant watch: Sub. Add to it the only watch that really matters from your list: Speedmaster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
20,863 Posts
I vote for the JLC Master Control, you always have have need for an elegant, simple watch, and you don't have to be wearing a suit to wear a JLC.

Reactions: Harsha_code

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
That's my pair:-d

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,863 Posts
You already have one significant watch: Sub. Add to it the only watch that really matters from your list: Speedmaster.
The Speedmaster is a nice enough watch, but quite honestly rather overrated. Aesthetically, I find the Speedmaster and the Submariner to be too similar, with the black dial, metal bracelet and functional bezel, and I don't think that adding the Speedmaster is going to increase the versatility of the collection in any appreciable way.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Domo beat me to it.

Couldn't think of a better 2 watch pairing. Grand Seiko & Rolex.

Or try Glashutte Original

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
It's always really neat/interesting to see/read the range of suggestions whenever this kind of question surfaces. If it was my choice, I'd look at a dressier type watch from Lange . . .

Reactions: ljb187
1 - 20 of 119 Posts