WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening ladies and gents,

New member here. I have been luring around the forum for a while and learnt a lot thanks to the knowledgable members who are willing to share their POVs and experiences.

Anyway, I got the watch bug recently and I have been doing research for my first purchase.

The main factors for me are:
1) Style (it has to fit me, of course)
2) Quality
3) Heritage
4) Resale value (which is closely associated to Brand regognition and quality, of course)

My choices have come down to:

1) Longines Master Chrono (L2.759.478.3)
2) Longines Master Chrono Moonphase (L2.773.478.3)

I am also considering a Speedmaster Pro (strap, haselite) but it is 1k more on the grey market and althouth I love its history, I also don’t like how common it is among people who like watches. I prefer a more “unique” watch since this is going to be an everyday watch for me.

I know at some point I ll probably sell the watch in order to fund something from the next level and I was wondering if you have any info on the desirabity of the above (mainly the Longines).
Would the moonphase sell easier or should I stick to the chrono? ( Personally I like both, although the moonphase might get a bit tiring since it’s a bit busy)

What would you get? Aestheticaly and in general... Any good/bad experiences?

Thank you

·
Registered
11,119 Posts
Shouldn't even be a question--Speedy 10 times out of 10 (although I don't really see a need for a chrono in this digital age...).

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
I am also considering a Speedmaster Pro (strap, haselite) but it is 1k more on the grey market and althouth I love its history, I also don’t like how common it is among people who like watches. I prefer a more “unique” watch since this is going to be an everyday watch for me.
Another vote for the Speedy. I can count on one hand the number of Speedmasters I have seen in the wild.

Popular among watch fans doesn't equate to the general public, 95% of whom wear an Asian made quartz watch. Swiss and German watches make up a tiny percentage of the number (but not value) watches sold.

I do admit really liking the Longines Bigeye but haven't seen one in person yet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
+1 for speedy. Not just for the resale, history, and style. It is a very versatile watch that looks nice on a strap/bracelet/nato.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
If you pay MSRP for a any of the watches mentioned, you'll take the usual pounding. It will probably be easier to sell the Speedy, but I've bought a used Soeedmaster for a lot less than MSRP.

I recommend getting the watch that you really like wearing and not the Forum favorite just because it always gets mentioned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the responses. Seems like the Omega is a favorite and for a good reason, I guess. I like both watches and I have checked both in person. I like the glass back on the Longines and the overall aesthetics, the Omega oozes coolness of course, mainly due to its history. This gonna be an everyday watch for me and I m not in suits, ever. Im in my twenties btw... And Im not gonna pay retail of course, I have found good deals on both.

Two more questions for you guys if you don’t mind:

1) what does a speedy (strap/hesalite) with full case and candy usually sell for used? I mean actually sell, not listed... there is a bunch on ebay with prices all over the place...

2) Would you go for a classic speedy professional or the limited edition moonwatch numbered?
I like the brown strap on the limited but you can always get that aftermarket anyway. Any advantages over the other? Quality, coolness, resale etc...

I have tried all watches mentioned here, including the limited edition, and they are all great. If I had a strong preference I would just go with it, but I don’t...

I also tried a meteorite... Way out of my budget but the guy insisted I should try it even though I told him I would not buy it... Awesome watch, but out of my price range!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Be careful, Speedy are the second most faked watch, after the submariner, and there are darn accurate ones to be avoided at these prices.
Thank you! I know and Im not just bargain hunting with just price in mind. If I go with the speedy, I would get it from a top grey market dealer.

·
Registered
434 Posts
There is a way to filter on eBay to show only listings that actually sold - you could use that to get a sense of used pricing.

Looking through sales forums for old listings will be helpful too; I recommend using watchrecon (website or app) to do this if you don't use it already since it pulls together listings data from a number of watch forums.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Speedmaster Pro is every where for a reason, one of the most versatile watch out there.

I would also recommend checking Longines Big Eye Chrono also the Legend Diver; as I think the first watch should have a bit of "fun" in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a way to filter on eBay to show only listings that actually sold - you could use that to get a sense of used pricing.

Looking through sales forums for old listings will be helpful too; I recommend using watchrecon (website or app) to do this if you don't use it already since it pulls together listings data from a number of watch forums.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for mentioning watchrecon. I was not aware of it and it is a wonderful tool! I went through ebay’s sold and completed before but I noticed a lot of the listings, although “sold”, were relisted with the same photos so I could not get a clear picture... Thanx again for the help!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Np! Shortly after replying your post I came across watchpatrol mentioned elsewhere on the forums. Similar to watchrecon but also shows some pricing data that might be useful for you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I really don't know why but I feel the Moonwatch is the type of watch you should get as the 2nd or 3rd watch if anyone were to start a collection.
The "first" watch should probably be an everyday watch that you feel comfortable wear anytime, formal or informal.

I really recommend getting a Longines / Brietling or even Rolex Explorer series as the first watch.
Then probably get the moonwatch as your 2nd watch.

Then for the 3rd watch, sell any of these 2 or if you are financially secured, just get the 3rd one.

For me, after getting the 4th one then you can start "playing" trading some of these timepieces.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts