WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a friend who is deciding between the Omega Broad Arrow (321.12.422.50.02.001) and the IWC Pilot's Chronograph. They are priced similarly at authorized dealers. He has tried them both on, and there are qualities to each that he likes. This would be his first quality watch.

He is very shy and asked me to post this on the forum to get some suggestions and he was hoping to read a few thoughts from those around here who own either of the two watches, or have any other wisdom to share.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
13,590 Posts
I would avoid the borad arrow at all costs because of the faulty 33xx mouvement.Honestly I would rather spare money and get a nice Breitling Chronomat B01 which has a full inhouse mouvement and a better one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Georges. What is the problem with the 33xx movement? I have the PO with 2500C which is fine and I heard the 8500 is robust.

·
Premium Member
13,590 Posts
Thanks Georges. What is the problem with the 33xx movement? I have the PO with 2500C which is fine and I heard the 8500 is robust.
There used to be chrono resetting problems due to the fragility of the mecanism, it was said to be resolved but however there were some problems that have been noticed like a rotor unscrewing itself during sports or rough activities. In some cases especially on the broad arrow gmt coaxial, the watches lost their crown.

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
I'd wait until the 8500 based chronos come out (which should be in the very near future) and then get a Broad Arrow with that movement, for sure.

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
I just got the IWC and can tell you it's a marvellous watch. Have a look on this forum for my review and pics and send it to your friend. Typing this on iPhone so can't link.

/posted via mobile device\

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know when they expect to have 8500 movement for the broad arrow? Not sure if my friend wants to wait that long. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AM, LOVE your Pilot Chrono. Am going to get the Spitfire within the month!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Out of those two, I'd get the IWC. I am what you could call a "Speedy purist", and I don't always acknowledge that any other Speedies but the 3570.50 exist ;-) So, if the comparison was between the IWC and a Speedy Pro, I'd go for the Speedy Pro in a heartbeat. That being said, the blue-handed Broad Arrow is the finest non-pro Speedy in my opinion. It really comes down to personal preference, as I don't see one of those watches as "better" than the other. They're both beautiful!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Out of those two, I'd get the IWC. I am what you could call a "Speedy purist", and I don't always acknowledge that any other Speedies but the 3570.50 exist ;-) So, if the comparison was between the IWC and a Speedy Pro, I'd go for the Speedy Pro in a heartbeat. That being said, the blue-handed Broad Arrow is the finest non-pro Speedy in my opinion. It really comes down to personal preference, as I don't see one of those watches as "better" than the other. They're both beautiful!
+1 ... totally agree with you especially on the part that the only speedy I will vote in Favor of the IWC will be the speedy pro 3570.50 ..

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'd wait until the 8500 based chronos come out (which should be in the very near future) and then get a Broad Arrow with that movement, for sure.
Bassel is only a few months away. If he can wait, I suggest he do so. I don't really like both of them. I don't like the look of the IWC as I prefer the tri-compact arrangement. However, I don't like the '1957' inscription on the dial. No idea how the 9xxx series chronos which Omega will unveil this year will look or cost.

I have a Broadarrow GMT personally and it works great. It's has a 36xx series movement based on the 33xx series but incorporates a lot of improvements. In fact, if you look at the newer 33xxB/C revisions, they are now using a number of parts as the 36xx series.

·
Registered
20,752 Posts
Based on the OP's photos I vote for IWC, I like the aviator look and the day-date window.

·
Registered
108 Posts
For me, the Omega has a more pleasing 3-6-9 layout of subdials, rather than the IWC's 6-9-12, but on every other aspect I prefer the IWC. The movement issues already mentioned above would also have me thinking "what if...", even if it runs fine.

Both are quality watches, and trying them both on should help your friend decide.

Good luck!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have an Omega chronograph with the 3301 and haven't had any issues. My opinion, based on frequenting this forum, is that the problems with the movement are in the past and Omega has fixed the issues. That being said, I am looking forward to seeing the new 8500 based chronographs but from the trend Omega's chronograghs are going I won't find anything that fits my sub 7 inch wrists. Seems like they are all going towards 44mm cases... Funny since my 3301 was called Seamaster Aqua Terra Big Size Chrono at 42.2 mm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts