WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which watch would you choose based on my collection?

• Rolex Explorer 214270

Votes: 37 50.7%
  • Rolex Datejust 41 (Blue Dial, Fluted bezel, Jubilee bracelet)

Votes: 36 49.3%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on my next watch that I have been thinking about for a little while. I have narrowed the choices down to 2. Here is what I have in my collection thus far:

1. IWC Portugieser Chrono Classic 390404
  2. Grand Seiko SBGA211 Snowflake
  3. Rolex Submariner 116610LN
  4. Omega Speedmaster 145.022

Here is what I am considering:

1. Rolex Explorer 214270

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory
  2. Rolex Datejust 41 126334 (Jubilee Bracelet and Fluted Bezel with Blue Dial)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Blue

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Explorer, but really they're both fantastic.

Here's what you really need to decide between the two.

Do you want people to know you have a Rolex or do you want them to know you have a nice watch?

People recognize the Datejust as a Rolex but not as many will notice the Explorer as a Rolex.

That's actually my favorite part of it. Rolex quality, iconic design, but flies a little more under the radar.

Beyond that, I still vote Explorer over Datejust. It's much easier to dress up or down and can take more. The fluted white gold will get a lot more banged up than stainless steel will over time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
I voted for the Explorer because I own one (Mk. 1 version) and love it but mainly because it does not have a date feature.

However, based on your current collection, the DateJust might be a better fit/complement.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I own the Explorer and like it, but would go with the DJ41 here. Complements your collection more as a dressier sports watch.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Datejust for sure! The explorer to me just isn't a special looking watch at all. I'd compare DJ vs OP.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The Explorer is just too blah to me. That Datejust pops, so that would be my choice of the two.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
I also agree that perhaps comparing a DateJust to an Oyster Perpetual might be a better idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I also agree that perhaps comparing a DateJust to an Oyster Perpetual might be a better idea.
I prefer this combination with the Oyster bracelet and the smooth bezel. If this were an option, I'd pick this one. It looks good with the blue dial.

With the choices in the OP, I'd go Explorer. I am just not a fan of the fluted bezel or the Jubilee bracelet.

Reactions: Drucifer

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I had a DJ and now have an Explorer there is no bad choice I just feel the Explorer works with almost any attire where as the DJ looks out of place with faded jeans and a t-shirt but that is my opinion.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I am in a similar spot though its taken me way longer, looking at either an explorer or the silver dial 36mm datejust, I like the 41mm with the new grey dial

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a DJ and now have an Explorer there is no bad choice I just feel the Explorer works with almost any attire where as the DJ looks out of place with faded jeans and a t-shirt but that is my opinion.
Thanks for your insight. I was thinking that having the Speedmaster and the SubC, I don't need to worry about having a watch for that ultra casual look.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am in a similar spot though its taken me way longer, looking at either an explorer or the silver dial 36mm datejust, I like the 41mm with the new grey dial
The Rhodium dial on the new DJ41 is beautiful as well. I have a lot of Grey and Black it seems though, which is why I am very drawn to the blue. It would give me something that I do not have, is more sporty than grey/black/white and can be dressed up as well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
As others have mentioned datejust will add more variety to your nice collection.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
As your collection is more leaning towards sportiness, I would suggest Datejust, a classic design, fits many occasions and will create a balance in your collection in terms of diversity.

Reactions: freesole

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
I’ve always been a fan of the Explorer but wow that DJ is real nice. I think I’d go with it. On a side note, has Rolex started using AR treatment or are those photos just exceptionally clear?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts