WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello dear friends,

this has been a very emotive year for me. In the beginning of year I had to sell a fair share of my belongings and embark on a savings and extreme cost-cutting mission in order to subsist. On the bright side, this has made room for a new watch and I have been browsing for one for the pas few days. I am considering the following:
- Sumo
- the new Seiko Turtle
- Glycene Combat Sub
- Certina DS Action Diver
- pre-owned Aquaracer
- Tissot Seastar 1000

I never thought that I'd get tired of my trusty SKX007, but I definitely have that feeling it's now time to part with it.
What are your thoughts on the above alternatives. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your input.

Best regards.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sumo is a great alternative. Its only cons is that the strap width is only 20mm for a 44mm case. Also, it's almost impossible to have it on a leather strap without a huge gap between case and strap. A NATO strap shouldn't have that problem though.
Seiko turtle is great, just make sure you try it on and see if you like the look of the turtle case. It is a little unusual to say the least.
I'd go for the Certina cause it's the best deal out there for a Swiss Made watch. Keep in mind that you are not going to have the great lume that the SKX is famous for. And you might miss that. In this case, Seiko is the only way to go, ha

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Yeah I'd get the Sumo. The bracelet is horrible (IMO) but a nice strap fixes it. I'm thinking about getting that fitted rubber one I've been seeing a bit of. I wouldn't get a turtle if you have an SKX, a bit same-same i think. I wouldn't consider any of the Swiss watches, coz...well....you know ;)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Like Domo and majority of the guys on this side of the Forums, I am a bit bias so I'm gonna skip the swiss vs. japanese part of the question and recommend the Sumo if you end up going Japanese and the Certina among your entry level swiss options

·
Registered
675 Posts
Had the Sumo and sold it because it looked strange to my eyes with the 20mm lug. But the finish is outstanding. Just about to pull the trigger on a PADI turtle.
Those swiss watches you mentioned are very "meh" in my opinion. The only swiss made watch in this price range that stands out a little would be a Steinhart. The best price performance by a mile.

Reactions: brandon\

·
Registered
637 Posts
Steinhart makes some nice watches. Problem is that I can't stand their logo, though. And that's a shame cause I really like some of their Sub homages.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
It's a glitch in your brain software known in other circles as 'GAS' (Gear Aquisition Syndrome). Ride the storm and save some cash. Sure, you'll have a new shiny for a while, then you'll be in counselling with seller's remorse and be on the interwebs with no sleep looking for another 007. I am not joking...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a glitch in your brain software known in other circles as 'GAS' (Gear Aquisition Syndrome). Ride the storm and save some cash. Sure, you'll have a new shiny for a while, then you'll be in counselling with seller's remorse and be on the interwebs with no sleep looking for another 007. I am not joking...
I am actually not intending to widen my collection. I want to keep my Casio GW-6900 and replace the 007 with something else. 2 watches are more than enough for me. I realized that I am not keen on building a collection of a dozen watches, not even of a half a dozen watches. Spending on a Hulk Submariner or an Aquaracer Cal. 5 is a steep hill for me, since I am planning on buying my own apartment as well and have to prioritize.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Either get the Turtle or buy some tools and mod your 007 ;)

It's immensely satisfying tinkering with watches and making them bespoke to your own taste.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
As per a previous post in your thread......Certina! The quality is so far beyond any of my Seiko's and I am a diehard Seiko fan folks so don't come down on me for my opinion here. I have a Monster, Shogun, 2 Tunas, BFK, and had a 007 that I flipped. I started with a 6105 in 1972 that I still own and occasionally wear. All that being said, if you want one high quality watch, the Certina truly is the best bang for the buck. That's my two cents. :-!

IMG_0175.jpg

Be well,

AZ

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I would get the Sumo.
When it comes to Divers Seiko does them the best.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Too funny! Thanks for making me laugh.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'd save pics of all those watches, see which one you find yourself checking out the most.

If this is going to be a long-term purchase, I'd also factor in servicing costs where you are.

FYI, Amazon UK has the PADI turtle (SRPA21) listed for £252.

Reactions: troyr1

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I had the SUMO and let it go. If you can shell out a few more and want to stick to SEIKO, then go for the new Shogun SBDC029 [$790 on the bay] -or- look for a used 1st gen SBDC007 [around $600-$700 used]. my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 20 Posts