WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started liking the Ball watches and they are very nice watches to collect. My first and only Ball watch so far is the Ball Engineer Master GMT II (bracelet, the one that says "2-Zone". I like the Aviator for its humble look, functionality and original look, I also like the limited edition Trainaster for its power reserve indicator and I have to admit that I kind of like the manual wind + show case; The Grand Central has this neat 2nd mini dial for the 2nd time with some of the looks of the Aviator. Decisions, Decisions ....,, Any help
Thanks

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Ok I just looked at both of those models. I like the dial of the black trainmaster 21st LE better And I'd rather have a power reserve meter than a second time complication. Also I don't care for the date aperture on the Engineer Master II GCT LE.

The hunter caseback on the trainmaster is cool. Although IMO the trainmaster 21 LE's dimensions are slightly smaller than ideal. One advantage to the GCT LE is that it's got a Ball branded ETA movement. From my research, this indicates it's a "top" grade finish. I couldn't find the trainmaster 21st LE on Ball's website, but the other pages indicate it's using a non-Ball branded ETA movement. Which apparently means an "elabore" grade finish.

If you already own a Engineer Master II GMT, I don't know why you'd want another from the same line. It's your choice, but personally I'd lean towards the trainmaster 21st LE.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
But one other thing to consider, the trainmaster 21st LE seems to be T25. Whereas the GCT II LE seems to be T100. More lume is always better to me. I'd like to see T200 watches someday.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
All very different watches. I actually hate the hunter case back on the 21st C, and the Officer, and because of it, wouldn't buy either. I have pocket watches that have such backs, and that's fine--don't need the extra millimeter or two added to the case back of a wristwatch just to have a door that opens. For that kind of old fashioned look, I would choose the new Sixty Seconds II over the 21st C. As for Aviators, between the Grand Central and one of the regular dial versions--I would look for the 44mm version, discontinued I think, but still around--sometimes referred to as the "Asian" version because it was first marketed in Asia before being offered in the US--still don't really understand why they discontinued it--seems to me a far better choice than the slightly unwieldy 46mm "regular" version. I would get either the 60 Sec II, or the 44mm Aviator, as a complement to your GMT. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I just looked at both of those models. I like the dial of the black trainmaster 21st LE better And I'd rather have a power reserve meter than a second time complication. Also I don't care for the date aperture on the Engineer Master II GCT LE.

The hunter caseback on the trainmaster is cool. Although IMO the trainmaster 21 LE's dimensions are slightly smaller than ideal. One advantage to the GCT LE is that it's got a Ball branded ETA movement. From my research, this indicates it's a "top" grade finish. I couldn't find the trainmaster 21st LE on Ball's website, but the other pages indicate it's using a non-Ball branded ETA movement. Which apparently means an "elabore" grade finish.

If you already own a Engineer Master II GMT, I don't know why you'd want another from the same line. It's your choice, but personally I'd lean towards the trainmaster 21st LE.
I think you are right, if you follow logic. It makes Sense, but when July 27 comes and I am in front of the AD. Things might be different. Thanks

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All very different watches. I actually hate the hunter case back on the 21st C, and the Officer, and because of it, wouldn't buy either. I have pocket watches that have such backs, and that's fine--don't need the extra millimeter or two added to the case back of a wristwatch just to have a door that opens. For that kind of old fashioned look, I would choose the new Sixty Seconds II over the 21st C. As for Aviators, between the Grand Central and one of the regular dial versions--I would look for the 44mm version, discontinued I think, but still around--sometimes referred to as the "Asian" version because it was first marketed in Asia before being offered in the US--still don't really understand why they discontinued it--seems to me a far better choice than the slightly unwieldy 46mm "regular" version. I would get either the 60 Sec II, or the 44mm Aviator, as a complement to your GMT. Good luck.
Right now I am incline with the Aviator.

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
Personally I'd take the Avaitor Dual Time over the Grand Central. Twice the lume and a very universal watch for any occasion. The 60 second II as Peter suggested is also a good choice.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally I'd take the Avaitor Dual Time over the Grand Central. Twice the lume and a very universal watch for any occasion. The 60 second II as Peter suggested is also a good choice.
Since I already have a GMT I am thinking the Aviator without the Dual. On the other hand The Grand Central is limited Edition and looks way better on real life than in pictures. I wouldn't buy the Grand Central based on the Dual time function. I would buy it because it looks nice and the limit edition factor (999 watches). But if I buy the regular Aviator cost $2,000 less than the Grand Central. MMMmmm...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What about : BALL Fireman All black Storm Chaser DLC Glow Limited Edition Chronograph watch with Swiss automatic ETA 7750 chronograph movement with day and date calendar, stainless steel case, domed sapphire crystal, and micro gas tubes (total of 66 tubes) every minute mark for extra bright night reading capability, black rubber strap with red stitching...
Dlc Glow Storm Chaser Chrono cm2192c-p2-bk - Ball Fireman wrist watch

·
Registered
232 Posts
The EMII GMTII is a great watch. I have mine on a black water-resistant leather Hersh strap with red threading.

It makes for a very cool look.

FWIW
DLM

this is my current ball watch

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The EMII GMTII is a great watch. I have mine on a black water-resistant leather Hersh strap with red threading.

It makes for a very cool look.

FWIW
DLM
Nice! i am thinking that I will end up buying the "Big Boy". I know a lot of people don't care too much about the union Pacific logo but I think is more adequate than the Aviator, after all is all about the RailRoad time.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice! i am thinking that I will end up buying the "Big Boy". I know a lot of people don't care too much about the union Pacific logo but I think is more adequate than the Aviator, after all is all about the RailRoad time.
I guess I am answering myself here, but that's all right. Yes is about the railroad but this is supposed to be an aviator watch so it doesn't make sense an aviator watch with traces of an old locomotive. For that matter I am better off buying the Night Train, don't you think?. Is kind of funny how I started this thread with those watches and now my 2 contenders are the Night Train and the Aviator.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I am answering myself here, but that's all right. Yes is about the railroad but this is supposed to be an aviator watch so it doesn't make sense an aviator watch with traces of an old locomotive. For that matter I am better off buying the Night Train, don't you think?. Is kind of funny how I started this thread with those watches and now my 2 contenders are the Night Train and the Aviator.
Ok Guys I am swallowing my own words. I shouldn't say anything. I went today to the AD. And I was there everything changes and the kid inside me won! No Logic at all with my purchase!

bigboy.JPG bigboy2.JPG

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
It looks similar to the Aviator but with the Union Pacific logo and omits the number markers. The theme is coherent. That logo fits perfectly under the usual "official RR standard" motif. Very cool !

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It looks similar to the Aviator but with the Union Pacific logo and omits the number markers. The theme is coherent. That logo fits perfectly under the usual "official RR standard" motif. Very cool !
Thanks , part of the reason of picking this one over the Aviator is because is hard to read the date on the aviator (red on black) vs this one that is color black over white. Also this version is a limited edition of 999 pieces. Mine is number 126. Have to admit that Greg was the one that point out the date issue on other thread and that comment tilt the balance one bit more towards it.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like they gave you a nice watch when you started working with Union Pacific.
Like I said before , there is no logic here. I simply bought it because I like it better. And I thought at the end that's the main reason we buy watches (at least I do), it doesn't matter if it follows logic, all I care about is the smile on my face. Hurray for the railroad time!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts