WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And I so, I managed to stop by Tourneau and a few other watch stores to try on some watches.

I like the JLC Master Geographic, but it runs a little too small and I'd rather get the Master Compressor. The watch is pretty but a little too delicate for its purpose.

So now I am down to two (with one possible sleeper)

Blancpain Fifty Fathom Trilogy GMT

vs

Panerai 88

and just maybe Bell & Ross GMT

which one would you pick an why ?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Emmmm.... decisions decisions, but personally if I had the choice I would pick the Blancpain really love the Bezel, case, and dial. Depending on what you are doing the BR might be the best all around watch Im not to hip on this Panerai model the fisheye magnifier takes the wind out of my sails seems like my eyes go right their a bit distracting but if you like it that should carry the day.

happy watch trails,
Dan

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I would only buy the Blancpain preowned and if the price is really attractive as they don't hold their value so well. The Panerai on the other hand should hold it's value well. I'd still buy preowned. And make sure whichever one you get is not in need of service and is functioning properly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would only buy the Blancpain preowned and if the price is really attractive as they don't hold their value so well. The Panerai on the other hand should hold it's value well. I'd still buy preowned. And make sure whichever one you get is not in need of service and is functioning properly.
I was thinking I might just buy a pre-owned Panerai, there are plenty of PAM88 online, but I also heard there are a lot of fake Panerais out there.

Do you know how much does it cost to service a Panerai watch ? Some of the pre-owned ones might need major overhauls soon.

On the other hand, the BP is sweet, it's probably pushing $5k or a little more.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If I were in your shoes (and economic bracket) I'd choose the Blancpain over the other two without so much as blinking. That particular model is a thing of beauty

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I were in your shoes (and economic bracket) I'd choose the Blancpain over the other two without so much as blinking. That particular model is a thing of beauty
Obviously it is the best out of the three in reputation, history, accomplishment, a haute horology of a different class.

But my concern is how robust is Blancpain, there's not much info out there, it wasn't exactly Rolex, you can let it run for 20 years and the engine will just keeps on going and going. Not to mention servicing a BP might be very costly and a service center is probably going to be difficult to find.

On the other hand, Panerai's boutiques and authorized service places are plenty. Of course buying a Panerai would just make me one of those people :think:

·
Registered
977 Posts
I think that blancpain looks amazing. Ususally I would go with the Panerai but between those particular models, definitely the fifty fathoms.

·
Registered
447 Posts
All great watches and hard to choose between. Myself, I think I would favor the B&R simply based on the stark contrast and readability of the dial. Also, the square case and eye-grabbing boldness of it would garner lots of watch interest and comments by others. --Always a good thing when you want to talk watch.

·
Registered
965 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I am very familiar with the BP quality. Does the Pam 88 have the new in-house movement or is it an ETA movement. I would not even put the Bell and Ross in the same breath as these two watches.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The only aesthetic problem with the Blancpain is the caseback, which is extremely boring IMHO, particularly given the price of the piece. Still, it is the best option of the three (even though I like the PAM alot too!).

Regards,
-Jeff

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The B&R square cases have always struck me as gimmicky and so unappealing.

It seems that everyone and his brother is wearing a real or homage Panerai and so too common despite the price.

The BP stands alone and would be my choice because I feel it represents an understated elegance combined with a ruggedness suggested by the sturdy looking bezel.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
The Bell & Ross is a decent watch and if you like the square look it's definitely a watch with wrist presence. However, it is not at the same level as the Panerai or BP.

Panerais I think are very good looking watches, although I don't like the ones with the fish-eye lenses. However, I think they are overpriced for what they are, but as has been mentioned, they do hold their value well.

BP make very nice watches and the fifty fathoms is one of the icons. I also think their watches are a step above the Panerais.

So my choice in your line up would be the BP. Although my actual choice for a GMT would be the Ulysse Nardin Dual Time.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I would so get the Pam 88. You should also check out the Breitling Navitimer World. I recently fell in love with it...

·
Moderator High-end watches
3,603 Posts
I would go for the Blancpain if i wasn't concerned by resale in the future coz they don't hold their value (especially in HK) and you seldom see one in the second hand market, otherwise go for the 88 and have fun dressing it with tons of colorful straps, it will give you the impression of owning several watches at a time :) (i'm also not a fan of the fish eye date magnifier but i deal with it) the rest of the details on the 88 looks beautiful, few pics for you and good luck my friend |>

Breitling Navitimer World

JLC Master World Geographic

Panerai 88

Other choices could be:

Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time

Maurice Lacroix Double Retrograde GMT

Panerai 233 GMT 8 Days

·
Registered
77 Posts
for that amount of scratch I would go with the timeless blancpain. I love the look of the B and R, but feel it will not stand the test of time. At the least, I think I would be sick of it in 10 years. The Pan is a cool watch with great resale, but I tend to appreciate my watches that do not have an ETA movement more (even if the ETA movement watches cost thousands.)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'd go with the PAM.....but used. I wouldn't buy any of those new, especially the B&R.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts