WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally decided that I need another daily watch to switch around. I've always wanted a nice classy women's automatic watch with a open back (like all the gorgeous classic watches that the men's have :-|). I've narrowed to a couple, but suggestions are GREATLY welcome, and please let me know your opinions on the movement and design.

The best choice so far is the Oris Big Crown Pointer Date, the movement is a ETA 2688. The only thing I may have doubts about is how the big "rim" (crown?) looks like in person. (I haven't found a place in NYC has that exact model available on display). Has anyone seen one in person, any taken pictures of a men's version?

http://www.thetimezone.com/Oris/58475584361LS.html

Another option is the Longines flagship series: http://www.thetimezone.com/Longines-Watches/L42744276.html

I'm am itching to buy, but rather not jump at the first one I see before consulting WUS professionals :-!. Also I'd prefer buying from a AD, and pricing would be >$1499.99 (retail) :-d Thanks!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Might I suggest this Stowa...:-!

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=23430

They have it in 36.5mm and 39mm. Handmade German Silver rotor.

No more.."(.snip...classic watches that the men's have :-|)". b-)

You could even have them put a COCS movement in it, and still be well under your budget, so you can grab some sweet straps for when the mood strikes.

I would be interested in what you think.......:thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
I vote Oris as well. It's distinctive, whereas the Longines looks like an Ebel or Hamilton...i.e., not as unusual.

Sandi

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going to see an AD in Rockefeller Center this Friday, hope it's as pretty as it looks in the picture.

Might I suggest this Stowa...:-!

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=23430

They have it in 36.5mm and 39mm. Handmade German Silver rotor.

No more.."(.snip...classic watches that the men's have :-|)". b-)

The Stowa is plain at first, but the more I look at it, the more I want it because: 1. the back is exactly what I wanted and 2. the price is so attractive :-!. If the Oris is too much in person, I'm going for this Stowa.

Oh, yeah, if you actually are considering other watches... here's my current all-time favourite for a woman's watch. The Tetra 2 by Nomos. Crisp, clean, striking design. Plus fun colours. :)

http://timetravellerone.blogspot.com/2008/04/tetra-2-nomos.html
That is a COOL watch, great for casual weekends, but I got scared of the 1080 Euro price tag!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Cool Moko, I hope you find the Stowa to your liking.:-!

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Oris is attractive but seems a bit more casual to me than the Longines. Are you shooting for a more casual or formal look? Do you lean more towards a jewelry-like look?

The Longines is decidedly more feminine. That's why I prefer it over the Oris. I prefer a more feminine look on women.;-)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Oris is attractive but seems a bit more casual to me than the Longines. Are you shooting for a more casual or formal look? Do you lean more towards a jewelry-like look?

The Longines is decidedly more feminine. That's why I prefer it over the Oris. I prefer a more feminine look on women.;-)
My only/daily is a Baume et Mercier Hamptons Mini, so I wanted to switch it with something more classic/more of a men's watch type of feel. I also want to have an open back so I can have something to play with on the train :-d.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
My only/daily is a Baume et Mercier Hamptons Mini, so I wanted to switch it with something more classic/more of a men's watch type of feel.
I get that. My daily is a Rolex Midsize DJ. It's (for me) a big watch at 32 MM. The Rolex ladies DJ is 26 mm so that's a noticeable difference. I think the bigger watch has a more "professional" look so I like it for the office. This is a watch that a man with a smaller wrist might wear. The blingier two tone look is to satisfy the girl in me.

And, of course, I have that completely girly watch on layaway for when I want to be very feminine.

Please let us know what you end up with.

And post pics!

Jeannie

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for input and suggestions, got alot great pieces to consider too. I will definitely up date on my trip to the DA. I knew I can depend on you guys and gals! :thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately, I did not like the Oris in person and it was mainly due to the acrylic cover (it bent the numbers around the edges), and the watch was a little too small for my liking. The AD saleperson told me the one I tried was a 22 mm watch, but on thetimezone.com it says 28.5 mm :-s

I was very disapointed that the Oris wasn't as I wanted as I was ready to leave with a new watch on my wrist :-(.

Now I'm going to try to go for the Stowa Antea 365 but does anyone have a picture or know how a 36.5 mm would look on a 6 1/8 inch wrist?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts