WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, where i start.

Greetings again fellow members, watch snobs, erudites, knobs, commoners, royals. Sometimes one finds oneself in a interesting point in life, a point of transition, where our own impulses think they can decide better and that, my friends, is what i want to avoid.

Here, short background. I live in the country with one of the worst managed economy in the world (take a guess), and have what i can't identify as a love or obsession with watches/timepieces/as-you-desire-to-call-them. I'm 24 years old, not upper class, no lower class. Most of my teenager years i spent playing and collecting cards of the game "Magic: the Gathering" and as a result, i was able to raise a considerable amount of money even for my age. Consider that my salary in my current job is extremely low if you exchange it do US Dollars (Inflation is out of charts). When i say a considerable amount of money, near 10K $. Living with parents too, so no housing payments, share some bills of negligible importance and i get to enjoy most of the money i have on myself.

Now, i've bought two somewhat notable watches for my age and condition (these are on my signature). But, here is the thing, i want to shoot for a grail now. My grails are, as for now and plausible, a Rolex GMT Master Pepsi, a Omega Speedmaster 3570.50, a Jaeger LeCoultre Master Calendar, a Rolex Submariner LV, a Omega Seamaster 300M (Blue) and a Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Duo, in that order. Every single one of them in my budget, new or preowned. But there are MANY things to consider.

First, i could use the dough on education. Even though i'm enrolled in public higher education, i could use the money for a year abroad.

Second, the economy of my country means, that money will be very, very difficult to raise back once i spend it. Having that backup money means a lot of pressure off. Having a Rolex might not if a emergency comes and i need the cash.

Third, crime is so rampant i won't be able to enjoy my potential watch as much as... Normal people enjoy their watches in normal countries.

Fourth, and most importantly, is really a watch what i need to feel good? Whatever how much i love watches or not?

I take into consideration, those years of collecting and having these valuable cards which i painfully sold recently. I believe i could reward myself for being a nerd in high-school instead of going out with chicks and partying (Heh.)

So, what would you do in my position? Should i get me a nice pre-owned GMT Master, Moonwatch or whatever and blame myself on the consequences? Or play safe and have the money burning a hole below my mattress? (It's not under my mattress, you cat burglars).

·
Registered
Rolex datejust
891 Posts
If you can afford the watch and have time and a means to enjoy it I would get it. However I live in the states so it's easier for me to say something like that. I say put the money towards your education. Once you get your education, you will be able to improve your chances of getting hired at a great paying job and build a career there and work your way up to the top of the company. At that point in your life you will be able to afford all your grail watches you listed and move to a place where you can enjoy all your watches.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm not going to venture what country you reside in. However, you paint a very bleak place, economically at least. The part about not being able to raise the funds again once spent gives pause. Don't spend it on watches. If anything invest in yourself. Take that year aboard if it means you'll be more marketable in your home country or better yet, if you can find a work visa and stay in a better managed economy afterwards.

·
Registered
61 Posts
"I live in the country with one of the worst managed economy in the world (take a guess),"

You live in the United States...? :-d

All kidding aside, I would invest in yourself before buying a fancy watch. Especially given your statements: "Consider that my salary in my current job is extremely low"... "that money will be very, very difficult to raise back once i spend it"... "i could use the dough on education"...

Eric

·
Registered
257 Posts
I sold off a chunk of my legacy and modern cards about a year ago. I had been investing quite a bit the previous 3-4 years into all the staples and luckily prices had really gone nuts so it was an easy decision plus I'm more of a limited\standard player. Made quite a bit off them but no way I could have dumped it all onto one high end luxury piece. It just wouldn't have felt right. It did help me put down a sizable down payment on a very expensive vehicle lol which is probably even less wise but it will now be paid off much sooner making it easier for me to save and buy a luxury watch later. Remember it is a watch. Its something nice to wear, feel good about, and enjoy. Its not a priority in life though or even as important as a really expensive vehicle ha. :) kidding of course

·
Registered
687 Posts
A grail is something you aim for and feel wonderful when you have it finally. However, once you have it you won't have your aim anymore. Having a grail you want is part of the fun. There are more important things in life than having what you want most. If you can afford your education, afford to give some back to your parents, and afford to care for yourself in the immediate future then go for it. If not, you will always have another chance to obtain your grail.

Reactions: Polynwa

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sold off a chunk of my legacy and modern cards about a year ago. I had been investing quite a bit the previous 3-4 years into all the staples and luckily prices had really gone nuts so it was an easy decision plus I'm more of a limited\standard player. Made quite a bit off them but no way I could have dumped it all onto one high end luxury piece. It just wouldn't have felt right. It did help me put down a sizable down payment on a very expensive vehicle lol which is probably even less wise but it will now be paid off much sooner making it easier for me to save and buy a luxury watch later. Remember it is a watch. Its something nice to wear, feel good about, and enjoy. Its not a priority in life though or even as important as a really expensive vehicle ha. :) kidding of course
Ha, we speak the same language. I've playing and collecting for 14 years already. It is probably a never-ending necessity to collect things (cards, watches, coins, i might have OCD as far as i know). I don't quite need another car and y'all may feel how tempting is to get that GMT Master.

Studying abroad is a great option for sure, and first on my list. But i also have this perspective of why would i spent thousands of dollars on something that is free and, into some extent, of good quality in my country? I could spend it just traveling and seeing the world, who knows.

Would you see it as some sort of invest if it is something that will hold it's value well in the years?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A grail is something you aim for and feel wonderful when you have it finally. However, once you have it you won't have your aim anymore. Having a grail you want is part of the fun.
That's a good point of view, i guess. I've never actually acquired something material i've wanted so much (if not, for a quite long time) as, let's say, a grail watch. It must be an odd feeling, sort of an accomplishment.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sage advice offered here, Polynwa.

You've already bought a couple of perfectly good watches recently - do you really need another one so soon when you could invest the money in your future?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Tough choice. I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I'm not well off, but have saved a lot and want to go for one of my grails, a Rolex 114060 or Speedmaster Pro. I want them equally, meaning I feel like I need both in my collection, however the Sub is close to twice as expensive on the gray market.

On one hand, the speedmaster is a relative bargain. I like that it's not as flashy or recognizable as an expensive watch. And I could use a chronograph in my collection whereas I already have a diver. I get one of my grails and the hit to my savings is less consequential.

On the other hand, Rolex pricing seems to increase faster. With the recent decoupling of the Swiss franc, the cost might soon escalate to the point of absurdity to my working class perspective. But if I put it off, it will be harder to get in the future. But I know even with the Rolex on my wrist, I will still want the Speedmaster.

I go back and forth on a daily basis.

If I were you, I'd definitely buy one of your grails. Life is too short. But only you can decide if you want a GMT badly enough to spend beyond a Speedmaster.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm sure I'll be in the minority by saying it, but if your country offers public higher learning at low or no cost to you, don't spend your money on college. What you should do, imo, is take that money and put it down on a piece of property, since it seems the cost of living where you are is relatively low. Buy a duplex or a small apartment building and pay that property off quickly with the help of the incoming rent. When you pay that place off... Wash, rinse, repeat. Also, consider investing in precious metals. Just my two pennies.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Always invest in yourelf first. The prizes come with success later on.
In this situation, I would spend the money on life, not lifestyle.
With education comes employment (normally) and with employment comes the treats you can give yourself.

I would say that working hard, and working towards a great watch you know you can afford and enjoy is better than spending the money on something you cannot really afford and will make no difference to your future. (unless companies hire you purely based on a rolex ;) )

Take it from someone who has made the mistake of putting want, before need

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Never, not ever should you underestimate the value of emergency savings. DO NOT get a watch that requires compromising your savings.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ha, we speak the same language. I've playing and collecting for 14 years already. It is probably a never-ending necessity to collect things (cards, watches, coins, i might have OCD as far as i know). I don't quite need another car and y'all may feel how tempting is to get that GMT Master.

Studying abroad is a great option for sure, and first on my list. But i also have this perspective of why would i spent thousands of dollars on something that is free and, into some extent, of good quality in my country? I could spend it just traveling and seeing the world, who knows.

Would you see it as some sort of invest if it is something that will hold it's value well in the years?
Nice. Yeah I started way back. Came in right around the middle of revised, of course I missed all the insanely good stuff. If I had had more vision and money I could have still bought plenty of it but prices were already to much for a kid to dish out something like $100 for a single card like a mox. Its a good thing I didn't have a real watch habit back then. Of course I sold off my collection a few times over the years and taken long long breaks. I've been active now for quite a few blocks and would normally be on a good hibernation but I had to get the fetches that I sold for a ton a year ago back cheap of course. I also have the collector gene, coins, cards, comics, toys, etc. Over the years I've tried to funnel it into less wasteful pursuits. I stack silver and some gold. Still focusing my watch buying to try and not be as much of a collector.

Trying to predict watches that will gain value as an investment is practically one in a thousand. After market price is almost always driven by availability and demand but if you do the research its not that hard to come up with possibilities. Iconic brands with designs that don't go out of style are the safest bet to hold value but you still have to find that person looking to spend that money. In that position I would not feel comfortable wearing it often if I was just holding it to flip later. When I get my grail I plan to wear it and not care what condition it is in when I die lol.

The property idea is interesting. Have to get the financing though and know what to expect. I don't think travel is ever a waste of money especially when seeing the world and new places but if its just a vacation its not something you can put down on a resume.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Spend a portion of the savings on something nice in the $1000 neighborhood, used (recommend Sinn, Hamilton, or Stowa perhaps). Keep the rest in the bank. Leave the "grail" for the future. Speaking as a guy who has bought at leasts two "grails", it will never completely satisfy you, and another piece will always become an object of your desire.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, i've received some wisdom. My necessities now are more "spiritual" than material, so the money is an extra. I'm not quite up to invest in gold or silver as they aren't as accessible in my country as you may think. My grandmother left in her estate a few dozens of kilos in silverware but that's another story (she also left some watches, but i haven't been able to check them up as they are in another city).

So yeah, i just don't know what to do. A Pre-owned GMT in good shape would represent half of my savings, a Speedmaster a quarter. My country's economy could get better in the next months (or not), and one is not getting any younger. I'll deeply ponder about it. I could become a guy with a rolex and a lot of regrets too.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
If you are set on this plan; I advise you to go with the Speedy:

1) because it costs less and will leave you more money in the bank, and

2) because

1 - 20 of 21 Posts