WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO!
i am from israel,i will try to write in english in my best way
i bought recently breguet france ottoman silver verge fusee quarter hour repeater with two "pepole" on the dial that Strikes with 2 hammers on 2 springs
like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8uA_9B6gGw
the pocket watch case is 55 m"m and he weights 123 grams
he work good and the repeater too work good
to be sure that i do good deal i want your help
please help me to declare the price of this pocket watch and give me more information about the pocket watch
thank you very much
moshe

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I'm sorry but we don't do valuations in here for reasons which are described in the stickies at the top
of the forum.
Your watch sounds very interesting though and members in here would love to see it, have you
any pics you can post?

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
He put a video link in radger:

As stated - no valuations in here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can send to me your opinion in private message?
please it is very important to me
and if you can give to me more information it will be good
thank you very much
moshe

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I don't think this is his watch Marrick, the OP states that it is 'like this one'.
The poster of this particular watch on youtube has posted dozens of videos of exotic
watches such as this and would seem a very experienced collector indeed.

Moshe, I'm afraid we can't give a lot of info based on the limited info available.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
I stand - actually I'm seated - corrected.;-)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
But imagine if the OP posted some pics in here of a previously unknown and genuine
Breguet with repeater and automoton complication....now that would be something.
About 0.0001% chance of that happening I would think.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Moshe,

I suppose it is this watch :

According to me, it is not a good deal. Automatons watches are very rare and expensive, so you need to be very careful when you consider buying one.
I am the owner of the video that you have posted here. I have been collecting automatons for some years, and I know that it is extremely difficult to find a perfect model. And if you find it, the price won't be cheap...

First, there are lots of fake. If you want more info, read this guide that I have written about fake automatons : IMPORTANT GUIDE : how to recognise FAKE AUTOMATON POCKET WATCHES

Your watch is authentic but in bad condition. The small dial in the center has probably been replaced. One arm (on the left) is not original and has been badly made. The character on the right does'nt have a nice face.
Finally, the automatons should be gold plated (multi-colour), but the plating is in bad condition.

Here are some pictures of the watch posted on youtube. You will see the difference :

In conclusion, the price that you paid for your watch is correct because a perfect example would be more expensive. But the collectors don't like watches which have been badly restored, this is why I say it is not a good deal...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hello
thank you very much for information and helping
do you think that the watch that i buy it's original or fake?
i asked the seller and he said that all is original and only the arm attached
thank you very much
moshe

·
Registered
107 Posts
hello
thank you very much for information and helping
do you think that the watch that i buy it's original or fake?
i asked the seller and he said that all is original and only the arm attached
thank you very much
moshe
Yes your watch is original. But it is not an authentic Breguet of course.

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
Breguet was, in many ways, the Rolex of his day.

I say that in a sense of the fact that there are many times more watches out there which say "Breguet" than there are watches that had any sort of association at all with the master.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when they have "any sort of association at all with the master"
it signed "spiral breguet" and not "breguet"

·
Registered
107 Posts
All the experts say that Breguet never made watches with verge escapement, or only a few ones in the beginning. In addition, the autentic Breguet were not signed "à Paris".

These old fakes are worth as much as anonymous watches.

I have just taken some pictures of another fake Breguet :

·
Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator
2,429 Posts
That clears things up a whole lot.

"Spiral Breguet" refers to Breguet overcoil hairspring. It's a specific form of hairspring where the last half of the outermost coil is bent up and over the main body of the hairspring. It allows the motion of the hairspring to be more symmetric, and thus improves isochronism.

An overcoil was used on many different watches of many different qualities.

Although Breguet did use this form, it was used by many, many others. With that marking, you can be assured that the watch is indeed not a Breguet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts