WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the Seiko 9f movements have some nice decoration on them, and the new Journe quartz movement for their women's watches looks pretty nice, and I've always loved the open look of the old Boluva Accutron Spaceview (not really decorated, but cool). Are there any other decorated or "cool" looking quartz movements being made today? Anything worth pulling the back off the watch for a reason other than a battery change?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are some nice looking quartz movements out there. I wouldn't count the Accutron, since it wasn't quartz.

Yeah, you're right, the Accutron was a tuning fork movement.

Am I right in assuming that the Rolex quartz movement is the one from the Oysterquartz?

It always seems odd to me that Patek and AP (and Rolex not that long ago) use quartz in some of their watches, yet people will rip Grand Seiko as a brand for doing the same.

·
Registered
602 Posts
There are some nice looking quartz movements out there. I wouldn't count the Accutron, since it wasn't quartz.

Am I right in assuming that the Rolex quartz movement is the one from the Oysterquartz?

It always seems odd to me that Patek and AP (and Rolex not that long ago) use quartz in some of their watches, yet people will rip Grand Seiko as a brand for doing the same.
It's from a Rolex Cellini

·
Registered
1,970 Posts

I've never seen anyone here rip GS for having quartz. The only issue that's ever been mentioned is whether someone is willing to pay a few thousand USD or more for quartz - regardless of brand.

In comparison, Rolex doesn't come up for discussion much when it comes to quartz because it discontinued its Oysterquartz line back in 2001 and Cellini isn't mentioned too often in this forum (it's not a big seller and doesn't have the collector following like its trademark sports watches). The very few times Patek quartz models like the Calatrava (quartz version) gets mentioned here, I'd say the views mentioned weren't too positive (it's very expensive).

·
Premium Member
61,485 Posts
I've never seen anything to rave about. The Seiko SUN017 has a display back and the movement is as dull as the proverbial ditch water.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Seiko's Spring Drive is another example of a currently-produced quartz movement that's very well-finished, though it's not highly decorated (nor does it need to be).

Personally, I've come around to quartz. Although I never thought I'd been keen on a Rolex when I first got into watches, let alone a quartz one, it's become one of my most-often worn favourites, and is slightly edging out the GMT as my go-to travel watch:

Pity it's not still being produced; I find there's a lot to appreciate in a well-made quartz watch like the Oysterquartz. They were available new until the last one sold in 2007, so it's reasonably recent and is well worth looking for if you want something special.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some of the Quartz movements in this thread really would be worthy of an exhibition case back.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I know that the Seiko 9f movements have some nice decoration on them, and the new Journe quartz movement for their women's watches looks pretty nice, and I've always loved the open look of the old Boluva Accutron Spaceview (not really decorated, but cool). Are there any other decorated or "cool" looking quartz movements being made today? Anything worth pulling the back off the watch for a reason other than a battery change?
I recommend the Grand Seiko 9F and the Citizen A010. I think Journe introduced a very pretty quartz movement recently.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Seiko's Spring Drive is another example of a currently-produced quartz movement that's very well-finished, though it's not highly decorated (nor does it need to be).

Personally, I've come around to quartz. Although I never thought I'd been keen on a Rolex when I first got into watches, let alone a quartz one, it's become one of my most-often worn favourites, and is slightly edging out the GMT as my go-to travel watch:

Pity it's not still being produced; I find there's a lot to appreciate in a well-made quartz watch like the Oysterquartz. They were available new until the last one sold in 2007, so it's reasonably recent and is well worth looking for if you want something special.
LOVE your Oysterquartz. I'm a huge fan of the Rolex quartz efforts. I have a day/date myself and while the movement is nice, I never see it....damn solid casebacks! What really appeals to me is that tick. Sounds more like a gong than a watch!

Reactions: hydrocarbon
1 - 20 of 23 Posts