WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am struggling with a dilema. I own a Dee and Ricky. It is in mint condition and I only wore it twice because of its rarity I only have it on display behind glass. I see them go on ebay for around 500 euro. Just saw one with 8 days left of bidding and it is now on 400 euros.
I could use the money but would it be wise to hang on to it? Who knows what the prices wil do in about 5 years? The market could also collapse. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Keep it. But I understand if you need the money. I own one also but have only worn it a few times. I think it will keep going up in value. This is my opinion only. I have seen them for sale on ebay for $750 USD. Tough choice. Wish you the best whatever you decide.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
You know, I'm really kicking myself for selling these to friends at cost:

I mean, sure, I kept one for myself, but damn! o|

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
I say sell it now, and invest in another collaboration G-Shock. You are right when you say the market can collapse any day. Only collectors buy these and those who wanted to buy a D&R because they want to wear it will be put away by the market price.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
^^^

but at least you aren't having hull problems... ;)
Lt. Cmdr. La Forge is a pimp, plain and simple.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
I would watch the market. But a bird in the hand is better than two in a bush... strike while the iron is hot... and all that.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
I view this watch as a niche piece. As time passes, I think the price will come down a little because something new and exciting will come along. If this watch had more features like solar/atomic capabilities or a titanium case, i think it would hold a better value. It's not an overseas only release either. I would love to have one to add to the collection but can't justify paying more than $200 for it. It's only with what somebody will pay for it so I'd suggest sell now while u can get at least $400 or more for it. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Djhyper66! :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mmmm still not sure. I will sleep on it for now and see how I feel the next day.:think:

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
I'd rarely consider buying a watch as an investment. True, you never know... some do appreciate. It's mind blowing how the D&R jumped up so high in market value. How many were made? MSRP was $130. To think they're going for $750 now mint-in-box, given the release was just last year, it's kind of crazy.

I tell you what... designers come and go. Here's two young guys from Staten Island who started a design trend. They're extremely trendy now. But... give another year? Who knows. They could be has-beens. And your G-Shock will plummet in value. I'd sell now, while the going is good. I can't see them appreciating much more. And in any case, why risk getting a lesser price down the road? If it's more of a novelty and you could easily part with it, sell. If you really do like it... well, keep it then. I doubt it'll depreciate all the way back down to MSRP, but even if it does, if you're keeping it the market value doesn't matter.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Yeah, if you're not wearing the watch, then I say move it now while it's still highly sought after. At $750, it's definitely pushing the limit for what I think is acceptable for a watch of this nature, so you may as well take the money and run. That said, I don't see the Dee and Ricky's value dropping like a stone, either; for some reason this piece seems to resonate with collectors, and I doubt this will change any time soon.

As for the designers themselves, I fail to see how their popularity in the world of fashion will affect the value of the watch one way or another. Indeed, given how many G-fans actually had to be told who they were in the first place, it seems pretty clear to me that the value of the watch has less to do with the star power of Dee and Ricky, and more to do with the watch itself.

Regards,
Adam

PS - FYI, rumor has it that there's another Dee and Ricky collaboration coming down the pipe, so get ready boys (my source at Macy's is keeping his ear to the ground, and if/when they arrive, he's going to set aside a bunch for me, just like he did with the original).

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I would sell it. I can't imagine the price going up any more. I think this is the top. After a while, people lose interest and forget about past models as new models come out. There are a few exceptions, but without a lot of people racing to get one, there just won't be enough interest to maintain a high price. Fast forward to ten years from now. Will anyone even remember this collaboration? Probably only a few G-shock fanatics who have been around for a while, and chances are all of them will already have obtained one by then.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Like many others above, I say sell it now, for these reasons

1) Fads change fast, might as well capitalize on it
2) You're not wearing it, but it has value. Might as well cash in on that unused value
3) Even if by some chance the prices do get higher, you're still making a large profit selling it at its current price point

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Beanie Babies
LOL, and before that, cabbage patch dolls.

Take the money and run!
I so want one of these D&R G's, but not gonna spend crazy money for them. :(

I hope I get a chance at the next batch of D&R collab's.
Coming to the show late sucks.o|

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
You know, I'm really kicking myself for selling these to friends at cost:

I mean, sure, I kept one for myself, but damn! o|

Regards,
Adam
You're a good friend Adam. I'm sure you're buddies appreciate that.b-)
Thats good karma gestures. :-!

cheers,
Dave

1 - 20 of 44 Posts