WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been interested in Deep Blue watches as of late, so I've been conducting my normal rounds of research. I've searched on WUS and read positive reviews. I then went to Google to conduct a wider search, and was disturbed to find some Deep Blue bashing on other watch forums (mostly people comparing DB to Invicta, bringing up alleged depth rating lies, etc.). What are your thoughts regarding the company as a whole (not just a specific watch model)? If this topic has been covered (in depth - hee hee), please kindly point me to thread(s) I missed, because I found nothing substantial on WUS beyond "nice built watch at a fair price" remarks.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I have yet to own one although I expect to pick up a used one one of these days.

My only direct dealings with the company were a disappointment. I inquired about purchasing an entry level AP Diver to use as a daily beater so i emailed them to see if it would be possible to have the orange minute hand on the black dialed model swapped for a black one which is produced as it comes on the orange dialed model. I did get a prompt reply, which is nice, but was informed that they cannot do that. I figured that it was not a big deal as the watch was so low priced perhaps it wasn't worth their effort so I asked to just buy a black minute hand. That was also a no go, they don't sell the hands. Again, no big deal but I figured I would go ahead and make it worth their while by asking for the same swap but on a PVD T100 Flat Tube Day\Night Ops. Same answer, it is not possible to have the hands swapped or even purchased separately. I was highly disapointed as I was really looking forward to trying one of these out. Most of the divers that I have are black dialed with the orange minute hand so I was looking to change things up. This was a different experience to the few other boutique brands I have purchased. The others were more than willing to do minor customizations, for an expected fee, to earn your business. Oh well...

That being said, I cannot speak to the quality of their products except to say that I have yet to read a truly bad review of them.

RS

·
Registered
720 Posts
I've bought 2 of their watches. One from ShopNBC and one was a scratch and dent special Depthmaster 3000 directly from Deep Blue. I dealt with Sam. He was prompt in his responses, created a shipping label within minutes of me making a paypal payment, and shipped the watch the same day. I needed some extra links for the watch and they only charged me shipping.

I have only good things to say about them.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I have owned a half a dozen DBs and they are Fullswing cases and picked out of a catalogue which is what a lot of boutique brands do. That is why the poster above couldn't get any parts.They are very well lumed watches but less than average bracelets. Stan the owner seems to have them calibrated very well so the ones I have owned have been very accurate.I think the Invicta comparison is their new line of candy color ,MOP dials and bigger cases. I would recommend the M2K or the Day Night with T100 tubes as solid watches for the money.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Unlike Invicta, Deep Blue watches have realistic retail pricing. They also hold their value very well based on this retail pricing - something Invicta can not claim.

Any item that holds a high resale value is doing something right. The quality/value of Deep Blue's product line is very good.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have been interested in Deep Blue watches as of late, so I've been conducting my normal rounds of research. I've searched on WUS and read positive reviews. I then went to Google to conduct a wider search, and was disturbed to find some Deep Blue bashing on other watch forums (mostly people comparing DB to Invicta, bringing up alleged depth rating lies, etc.). What are your thoughts regarding the company as a whole (not just a specific watch model)? If this topic has been covered (in depth - hee hee), please kindly point me to thread(s) I missed, because I found nothing substantial on WUS beyond "nice built watch at a fair price" remarks.
Just buy whatever you like. Everyone has a different opinion, sometimes founded, other time unfounded. Don't take the criticism you read online too seriously...

Deep Blue is a private label, not a real watch company. Just like many micro brands this company sells catalog watches, with minor customization. The same watches are often available from other brands.That's probably the reason why you won't find many enthusiast review online: there is nothing really specific or unique about these watches. Nothing to rave about. Their "cultural" value is low (compared to, say, an Omega).

In any case, I wouldn't compare Deep Blue with Invicta. Invicta is a fashion brand, selling affordable watch to the uneducated mass. Deep Blue are made for more specific customers: watch enthusiasts who appreciate high value components, like a sapphire crystal, a swiss automatic movement, a high depth rating, etc...

Concerning the depth rating, I'm always extremely suspicious. Micro brands rarely have the tools and expertise to guarantee the pressure resistance indicated on the dial. Can we trust them? I'm not sure...

Personally I would rather trust a 200m Seiko than a 2000m Deep Blue. But that's just me ;-)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've never owned a Deep Blue, but I've been around watch forums a long time, and there is one undeniable truth among WISs... you will find a forum somewhere that completely bashes virtually every successful brand of watch made. I have read over and over again what pure crap Rolex, Omega, Seiko, Doxa and Citizen are. They all take their hits and they all have rabid fans. All I'm saying is do exactly what you're doing - research opinions and look at the big picture. Good hunting!

·
Banned
584 Posts
In general, I think Deep Blue has done a great job with their past models -- the T25 and T100 DayNight Diver and Ops watches are fantastic and the AP Chrono is incredibly solid for its low price. That said, I think there's been some disappointment with some of the recent models, such as the Juggernaut (which is very bling-y and a big departure from their usual design). Stan seems to be experimenting with some new things lately, some of which have worked and some haven't, in my opinion.

In short, the quality of their build is very good, but some of their designs lately have just fallen a bit short aesthetically. IMHO, of course.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Just buy whatever you like. Everyone has a different opinion, sometimes founded, other time unfounded. Don't take the criticism you read online too seriously...
True, but OP is doing the right thing by looking deeper into criticisms. Having no 1st hand expereience with the watch, it is difficult to know if this what he "likes", so the questions make sense in this case.

Europeendless, I owned two DBs and I didn't have any issues with the watches and found them to be well built and competitively priced. BUT, the most "dive" duty my watches received was being submerged in a sink full of water. I did have one regulated by my watch guy and he water tested the watch after regulating (it passed), but I can not recall to what depth the watch was tested.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I've never owned a Deep Blue, but I've been around watch forums a long time, and there is one undeniable truth among WISs... you will find a forum somewhere that completely bashes virtually every successful brand of watch made. I have read over and over again what pure crap Rolex, Omega, Seiko, Doxa and Citizen are. They all take their hits and they all have rabid fans. All I'm saying is do exactly what you're doing - research opinions and look at the big picture. Good hunting!
I was thinking on an answer and this says it all, I could not say it any better.... There are a lot of watch snobs out there that bash things they nothing about..... Do your own research and if you like it = buy it, if not go look some more....good luck

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
This was a different experience to the few other boutique brands I have purchased. The others were more than willing to do minor customizations, for an expected fee, to earn your business. Oh well...
Just curious, but how many small watch companies have done these sort of customizations for you, and what was the price point? As mentioned before, Deep Blue are catalog case watches made to be sold as cheap as possible. They're not really a custom made watch like some of the higher end microbrands. I can think of several that are priced considerably higher than Deep Blue that will not sell you parts or disassemble watches to make you a special model.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can only speak to for the T-100 Flat Tubes (PVD), but I love it.

Well built, solid, keeps excellent time, and a real value compared to comparable watches with swiss movements and tritium tubes.

·
Registered
217 Posts
1.Deep blue is unwilling to accept some asking for some customization modification.
2.And oversea buyer are not treated so friendly according to the price...always much cheaper on shopNBC...but only sells in CONUS...
3.The screw and bar system for my master 2000 is a bit different from what you think. two screws on both side of one bar...So if you are adjusting the bracelet..better find a watch smith

But to be fair: the accurracy is good, and the lume is fantastic!

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
Wear what you like, but like what you wear!

I have nothing but nice things to say about the two Deep Blue watches I own...

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
I have no personal experience, but I will say this. I have a Chase-Durer that I love and has been nothing but reliable and durable, and yet, I've found plenty of Chase-Durer bashing on the net. I love mine and will never part with it.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I have the Pro Sea Diver. Bought it from Stan before he started going on Shopnbc.
It's a great watch for the price. Oris style case, solid watch.
A lot of people started bashing him because he went on Shop and they predicted that he will become another Invicta.
He has one of the best costumer service around. I just call if I have a question, never had a problem getting to Stan if he's in the office.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I've never owned the brand, largely because their designs run larger than I wear. That said, I suspect much of the criticism of Deep Blue stems from the commission of that most unpardonable of all WIS sins... Selling on ShopNBC. Unfortunately a certain percentage of WIS types take themselves very seriously, and often such unwarranted seriousness manifests itself as raving against those regarded as being unserious watch producers. Much of the venom directed at companies such as Invicta and Deep Blue has nothing to do with watches and everything to do with apostasy.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I only have the All Purpose Quartz diver, but man it is one solid watch, at a fair price. I love it to bits, and IMHO it is the best quartz diver in that price range.

As for the company, I have dealt with Stan personally on numerous occasions (he also runs Panatime) and he is a stand up guy. The box for my watch fell apart, and since I said I would use it for travel he sent me a new one free of charge. I have also ordered a few straps from him and they have been great. Overall, I would say in the price range Deep Blue exists in you can not do better.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts