WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

deep blue...missing something?

6K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  Pilot2 
#1 ·
so im checking out the website and almost every auto watch is right at a grand or over. are people really paying this for them? i coulda swore they were right at the 4-500 range

#6 ·
I suggest you take another look. I believe you are "missing something". I recently purchased a Deep Blue DayNight Pro Ops Flat Tube Black (DAYNIGHT T-100 OPS PRO FLAT TUBES - DAYNIGHT - T100 TRITIUM AUTOMATIC COLLECTION) and paid less than what is listed. I bought it directly from Deep Blue. I suggest direct communication with the company. Great company, Great guys, Great watch, acceptable price.

I did flip the watch but not due to any issues with the watch. The issue is that I have too small a wrist for this great watch.

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Hand

Be well,

AZ

#9 ·
Apparently you didn't look too hard at the website.There are 3 or 4 different model ranges at or below $500.00.Pro Seadiver on bracelet with NH35 movement & sapphire crystal, $379.00.

#11 ·
I like the blue dial sea diver 1k, Still too expensive I think and I just can't get pass the cheesy brand name and overuse of the logo on some of their models. Even at $199....no gracias, better option out there.

#13 ·
I have owned a couple of Deep Blue watches that were bought in the $400-500 price range. I liked the watches, but found them to be too big and heavy.

My pair of H3 Tactical watches use tritium tubes. I'm crazy about these 2 watches. Cheers, Bill P.

#14 · (Edited)
#20 ·
The DB build sheet alone kick's Seiko 007 A$$. I had two 007's one already had SAPPHIRE upgrade and one did not. It took one week to scratch the mineral glass and also scratched the insert.
I sent it off to Jay for the SAPPHIRE upgrade and new insert. DB actually has a great track record around here but you either like the brand or you don't.

#22 ·
All I know is I feel like I got a really good deal on all 3 of my watches made by Deep Blue, they are fantastic watches, and I will buy more in the future.

Reactions: asho coxo
#26 ·
hmm. i guess id did miss something. for some reason it seemed every link i clicked the price was high but i do see a few 499's in there. my bad. i definitely didnt mean to start a debate about their quality. or the use of off the shelf cases. i believe they are of good quality just didnt understand some of their models at a grand while others at 399 with no difference to my eye.

#29 · (Edited)
Let me tell you something about that tacky logo that you educated folks DON"T seem to know(maybe not so educated).It represents a view of the world seen only by a select few men.Men not afraid to go to depths under the surface of any body of water on this planet that would send a sport diver into a narcosis induced drowning & perform duties that could end their lives in the time it takes for a wrench to slip off a fitting.EVERY time I see the Deep Blue logo on my watches I am reminded of a lifetime looking out through that round faceplate.Tacky?Hardly!

#34 · (Edited)
I want to pick up a T100, but I'd rather get one with a 9015 movement rather than 8215, but can't seem to find one in their catalog. Do they make one with a 9015? I think it would be a good replacement for my Marathon GSAR which I sold last year, so I need another tritium vile watch for camping.

#38 ·
DAYNIGHT T-100 OPS PRO FLAT TUBES http://www.deepbluewatches.com/daynightopspro5.html

I had one for a while and it was a great watch. My wrist at 6 3/4 was just a little to small and adjusted to my wrist it weighed in at 8 oz. so I flipped it. But I must restate that it was really a great watch and well worth the money I paid. Also, accurate to within a few seconds per day with the 9015.

Be well,

AZ

#35 ·
One thing worth noting about Deep Blue's $1K watches is that they have ETA movements inside. That's significant for several reasons:
  • ETA have been (last I looked) prohibited from denying its movements to certain watch companies if doing so would "significantly and negatively" impact their ability to remain a going concern.
  • AFAIK, the Swiss watchmaking regulators didn't stipulate what price ETA/Swatch Group could charge for the movements they provide to such companies.
  • More or less, that's the minimum price one can expect to pay for any current watch having an ETA movement inside.
  • ETA/Swatch Group have very clearly taken the opportunity to increase ETA movement prices now that they are limiting access to those movements to non-Swatch Group companies. (That has also allowed Sellita to increase its prices.)
Earlier someone mentioned that they have an issue with DB using off the shelf cases and/or other parts. That person/those folks are entitled to feel that way. I wonder, however, if they feel that way about ALS who also purchase the cases for their watches. Among watches that are priced and constructed more nearly like DB's are, the brands that are owned by the Ickler group may the only ones I know of for sure that have in-house case making happening. That group actually began as a case maker that later introduced several watch brands; however, those brands are purely brands in that it is those brand names, not Ickler, that one sees on completed watches Ickler makes. Another small brand, Damasko, offers a dive/dive style watch (I don't know how "dive worthy" they actually are) for $1500. Maybe they make their case, maybe they don't, but they do put ETA inside.

The key point I'm making is that at $1K and having very solid and well executed construction, a DB is a pretty decent value among watches that also have ETA inside. Yes, there are other watches that represent good values and have ETA inside. Several Archimede watches fall into that realm, although they aren't dive watches. Limes offers a Leviathan model with Sellita inside for $1100, although like Damasko, I'm not sure if they are "full on" dive watches as are Deep Blue's. Aquadive has a model that retails for $1K and with ETA inside.

In all honesty, I don't know of any micro-brand dive watches that have ETA inside and sell for appreciably less than $1K. While there may be some out there, I think they are few and far between, although I haven't conducted a comprehensive market study to verify my perception in that regard.

All the best.

#36 ·
One thing worth noting about Deep Blue's $1K watches is that they have ETA movements inside. That's significant for several reasons:
  • ETA have been (last I looked) prohibited from denying its movements to certain watch companies if doing so would "significantly and negatively" impact their ability to remain a going concern.
  • AFAIK, the Swiss watchmaking regulators didn't stipulate what price ETA/Swatch Group could charge for the movements they provide to such companies.
  • More or less, that's the minimum price one can expect to pay for any current watch having an ETA movement inside.
  • ETA/Swatch Group have very clearly taken the opportunity to increase ETA movement prices now that they are limiting access to those movements to non-Swatch Group companies. (That has also allowed Sellita to increase its prices.)
Earlier someone mentioned that they have an issue with DB using off the shelf cases and/or other parts. That person/those folks are entitled to feel that way. I wonder, however, if they feel that way about ALS who also purchase the cases for their watches. Among watches that are priced and constructed more nearly like DB's are, the brands that are owned by the Ickler group may the only ones I know of for sure that have in-house case making happening. That group actually began as a case maker that later introduced several watch brands; however, those brands are purely brands in that it is those brand names, not Ickler, that one sees on completed watches Ickler makes. Another small brand, Damasko, offers a dive/dive style watch (I don't know how "dive worthy" they actually are) for $1500. Maybe they make their case, maybe they don't, but they do put ETA inside.

The key point I'm making is that at $1K and having very solid and well executed construction, a DB is a pretty decent value among watches that also have ETA inside. Yes, there are other watches that represent good values and have ETA inside. Several Archimede watches fall into that realm, although they aren't dive watches. Limes offers a Leviathan model with Sellita inside for $1100, although like Damasko, I'm not sure if they are "full on" dive watches as are Deep Blue's. Aquadive has a model that retails for $1K and with ETA inside.

In all honesty, I don't know of any micro-brand dive watches that have ETA inside and sell for appreciably less than $1K. While there may be some out there, I think they are few and far between, although I haven't conducted a comprehensive market study to verify my perception in that regard.

All the best.
Nice observation and I like the reasoning here

..try Steinhart ETA Swiss under $600.00 ..

Now back to fishing..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.