WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Deep Dive: Rolex Milgauss - The Science Watch

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Panerol Forte 
#1 ·
It all began when Rolex realized that the scientific community was facing issues with their timepieces when it came to working with magnetic fields. That is the beginning of this story. Necessity gave birth to the Milgauss.....CLICK HERE to read entire article....

Analog watch Watch Green Watch accessory Turquoise

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

See less See more
#2 ·
Hate to break it to you but I read these exact words (less the DeLuca part) a few weeks ago while looking into the history of my Milgauss. Not exactly written on August 22nd.

But I guess on the internet, nothing is original... Sigh.

Oh, and it looks a lot better on the Rolex bracelet.

Reactions: BarracksSi
#6 · (Edited)
OK, I found the review; it's a youtube video from watchfinder UK .

He throws out three "objective" things to complain about. The first is the price difference between an OP and the Milgauss which is somewhat valid. Then he complains about the lightning bolt second hand as a throwback. Third, he complains about the green sapphire crystal, wondering what place it has on a watch. He never states that it's the worst watch in history, just a preposition.

He finishes up by concluding, tongue-in-cheek, that the preposition may be false based on the unique combination of features.

It's still a sales job.

I could live with or without the lightning bolt second hand, but it does catch the eye and I suppose that's a feature. The green crystal, on the other hand, is the reason I bought one. Had it been a plain crystal, it would still be in the store, but the combination of the green highlight and the dark brown face as well as the orange indices at the corners really got my attention.

It was interesting to see the macro videos of the watch, kinda like the Rolex website only in real life.

Edit: I read on the Rolex website that the face is actually black. Coulda fooled me. It looks very dark brown to me. But I suppose the green crystal may distort the color.

#7 ·
Watchfinder & Co are one of the less obnoxious watch channels out there with some interesting content.
There's a few interesting videos they've made of unusual Omega models, for example. The repetitive background music I find rather soothing.

#8 ·
Original Rolex model was kinda scientific watch (when scientists could afford one).
In same line of Rolex was GI watch and had offered affordable watches sold near recruiting stations during WW2.
But to call Rolex today scientific or military is kinda stretch. For sure well established professor can afford Rolex but most of them don't.
Now it's all marketing. Not to mention due to changes in materials and technology whole anti-magnetic thing lost it's flame.
Now days scientists shop in categories of 1/20s of Rolex price.
Science does not pay well.

#12 · (Edited)
Sorry to disagree with you but the soft iron shield surrounds the movement except for the hole for the stem and the hole for the hand shafts. I suppose that that may disqualify it as a full "cage" but the reality is that the shield insulates it from electromagnetic fields. In my mind, that's a Faraday cage.

You may argue that the two pieces aren't in conductive contact with each other, but they press fit together. That's pretty much in electric contact with each other.

At the AD, my second impression (first was "This is awesome") was the lack of a date complication, but I quickly realized that a hole for the date window would blow the whole concept, so I was alright with it; I bought it despite the lack of the date and am happy with it.

Gotta say, of all my watches, it's the most comfortable and the best in accuracy (though my SMPO chrono is close).

Edit: OK, I went to take a leak and realized that, hey he's right, any shield that has something going from the outside to the inside isn't a true Faraday cage. If I was to take a static charge and present it to the second hand, the shield wouldn't protect it from the static current. So you win that point. It's still an awesome watch and I'll try to keep static forces away.

Peace!

#13 ·
Sorry to disagree with you but the soft iron shield surrounds the movement except for the hole for the stem and the hole for the hand shafts. I suppose that that may disqualify it as a full "cage" but the reality is that the shield insulates it from electromagnetic fields. In my mind, that's a Faraday cage.
You are correct, it is a Faraday cage, and it is a "full cage" as a Faraday cage doesn't have to be "sealed". A Faraday cage is a very low tech technique that can very simply be implemented in any circuit board. Faraday cages come in all shapes, forms and sizes, and can even protect buildings from lightning.

Edit: I just noticed your location, you must already know all this... you are just being modest in your reply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.