WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just for fun and discussion, what about these 2,

AD249C97-7A07-4914-8D0D-F8927097C0BB.jpeg

Since getting my DeepSea 16 months ago I’ve near enough worn nothing else except my Tuna occasionally. Big watches suit me with 8”+ wrists. I love the tech’ side to the DS, the case construction, the dome crystal and the amazing bracelet and clasp. Having compaired the new SD43 with it last week I concluded that those qualities were missing in the SD43 and with the SD43’s basic construction prefer the DS for the large size watch.
Just took the Sub C out of the box ‘again’ ( son’s upcoming 21st present) and must admit that it’s proportions are perfect. The classic Sub may be standard construction but it just sits and feels right on the wrist. If I didn’t like the DS so much I would definately buy a no date Sub over the new SD43. What do you think?

84540FD9-1519-4F83-8699-D61685C1F97B.jpeg

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I agree the ND SubC is a premium choice, along with the LV if you can handle the green.
The Sub looks perfect, what a great 21st for your boy.
I have not seen a SD 43 close up yet.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
21,050 Posts
Submariner 114060 for me, out of all the dive watches. I used to really want the DeepSea, but I grew accustomed to the size of my Speedmaster on my wrist, and the Submariner is much more like that. Perfectly proportioned, perfectly balanced. The DeepSea is just too much--but it's supposed to be, so that's okay.

I have to admit that I'm in the minority with regards to the SD43. I don't like it. It looks a bit off, I hate the cyclops, and I don't even care for the throwback red writing (it's not that I don't like it because it's a throwback, most of my collection is retro or otherwise an old design); it just fails to entice me on every level. You'd have to throw in a Submariner proper and steak dinner for me to choose one over a Submariner. Similarly, I don't care for the Submariner Date because I feel like the cyclops ruins the whole watch; makes it look smaller, more dainty, less like something you could actually take into the ocean--less like a "tool watch", for lack of a better term.

Reactions: nobbylon

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s odd that back when I got my first Submariner in 1986 it had to have a cyclops! I’m with you on the no date version and it would be my choice as I can’t read the date on any of them even with a cyclops. I gave my lad the choice and he does like to have the date on a watch so date version it was. I liked the Sea dweller line without the cyclops but Would have liked to see a larger case lug version of the sd4k rather than an increase to 43mm. As I’ve said before in an earlier post, I couldn’t see the red writing!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
For me,
Subc pros: 40mm
Subc cons: wide lugs and crown guards, no graduations past 15.

DS pros: more tapered lugs, crown guards, raised crystal, unique dive extension clasp
DS cons: ring lock ring, case too big overall

SD43 pros: tapered lugs and crown guards, red text
SD43 cons: case too large, bracelet is 22mm instead of 20mm.

For OP, since his wrist is large, he can pull off any of these watches. The sub c looks great on your wrist. I’d say subc over DSSD because of the ring lock.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For me,
Subc pros: 40mm
Subc cons: wide lugs and crown guards, no graduations past 15.

DS pros: more tapered lugs, crown guards, raised crystal, unique dive extension clasp
DS cons: ring lock ring, case too big overall

SD43 pros: tapered lugs and crown guards, red text
SD43 cons: case too large, bracelet is 22mm instead of 20mm.

For OP, since his wrist is large, he can pull off any of these watches. The sub c looks great on your wrist. I’d say subc over DSSD because of the ring lock.
thanks for your comments. The only thing I would say is that in photos the ring lock system and original gas escape valve text stands out but in reality you don’t notice it, well I don’t!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
A very good friend of mine has the James Cameron, which I really like. I'm not a fan of the way the bracelet meets the lugs and feel the bracelet is a little small on this beast of a watch.

If I were in the market for a dive watch, I think the Sub would be enough.

I was in Vancouver a couple of years back and as I was driving from Whistler back to the city, there is a scenic overlook, where I stopped. It is 302m above sea level and you can stand there and see with your own eyes exactly what 300m looks like. It is an insane distance, and I'd venture to say that no one reading this post would ever come close to testing that dive rating on the 'standard' Sub.

So the purpose of having a watch that can survive 13x that depth is a little lost on me.

I am curious to see a 43mm in real life. I would not be hugely upset if someone gave me a James Cameron. But if I were buying a Rolex dive watch with my own money it would be a Sub. And I'd probably pick a date variant because I genuinely look at my wrist every time I write a contract, and expect the date to be there. Losing the date would be like losing the minutes hand. It would be weird. So while I like the clean look of a no-date Sub, I think that would have to strictly be a weekend watch. And I prefer my watches to be able to handle multiple scenarios.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I don’t think anyone who actually dives recreationally takes any interest in depth ratings for practicality at all. I know I don’t. I’ve used sports 100 Seiko, skx007, tuna, mm300, cwc and an old submariner 16800. Deepest I’ve been was just less than 40m. Most don’t go beyond 30m. Having a DeepSea is about being interested in the technical aspects of the case design. A wish to have something a little more special if you like than a standard case. The ultimate Submariner that is available to us the general public.
The Tuna cases are another example of a great technical achievement capable of saturation diving without the need for an escape valve. Special seals not allowing Helium into the watch therefore not requiring it to be released. I’m guessing here but I think the gas must seep into the Rolex via the crystal nylon sealing ring. My Tuna, the SBBN015 has a rubber ‘O’ring case back seal just like a Submariner however has a special ‘L’ seal for the crystal with a threaded securing ring. Do I need these fearures? of course not but if you are interested in watches and diving then these qualities make these watches more interesting.
Some mention the bracelet, some don’t. For me it looks right but some prefer the proportional taper of the older Submariners and Sea Dwellers.
Thanks for your thoughts.

an interesting video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CBa-NrO5xqM

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
I think I've had a love/hate relationship with the DSSD ever since it came out. Most times when I cruise through a Rolex AD, I feel compelled to try on a DSSD again. Basically I love most aspects of the DSSD but hate the thickness of the watch; hence never bought one. I am enamored with the 116610 LV "Hulk" but never got around to buying one. Maybe someday ...

I did own a 116613 LB at one time that I did give to my son since he seemed to love it far more than I did as I prefer all stainless steel these days. I now own a 114060 no date sub and a 116600 SD4K, although the SD4K spends most of its life in my safety deposit box at the bank. After all is said and done, I think my favorite of all though is my 114060 no date sub that always makes me smile when I put it on.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I think I've had a love/hate relationship with the DSSD ever since it came out. Most times when I cruise through a Rolex AD, I feel compelled to try on a DSSD again. Basically I love most aspects of the DSSD but hate the thickness of the watch; hence never bought one. I am enamored with the 116610 LV "Hulk" but never got around to buying one. Maybe someday ...

I did own a 116613 LB at one time that I did give to my son since he seemed to love it far more than I did as I prefer all stainless steel these days. I now own a 114060 no date sub and a 116600 SD4K, although the SD4K spends most of its life in my safety deposit box at the bank. After all is said and done, I think my favorite of all though is my 114060 no date sub that always makes me smile when I put it on.
The 116600 is a long sought grail for me. I enjoy my 114060 a lot but sometimes the lugs and crown guards get to me. Also wish it had the raised crystal, date and full bezel markings too. It is a perfect thickness (thicker is better In this case) too, and less beefed up looking than the 114060 from the top down.
Every time I think I’m happy with the ND, I see a pic of the 116600 and ...

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
My duos:

The SD4K is just slightly thicker than the ND Sub but not noticeably so when worn. Hard to believe the SD4K was discontinued after only a short three-year run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
My duos:

The SD4K is just slightly thicker than the ND Sub but not noticeably so when worn. Hard to believe the SD4K was discontinued after only a short three-year run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea way before I got the 114060, I had a chance to try on both the 116600 and 114060 at an authorized dealer. I immediately liked the 116600 more. Seemed smaller to me, and the thickness difference wasn’t enough to be bothersome like the DeepSea (which was too thick as well as too wide). Only reason I ended up with a 114060 was that I had a good opportunity to get one. I’ve tried to get the 116600 since then but several possibly shady experiences in combination with the $3000 price increase just because of availability has put me off from trying to get one, indefinitely.
Yea when I compare the two I feel like the sub is more bare and sparse while the sd has less empty space that is filled... on the dial, on the bezel, less surface on the case

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just got my first Sub (hulk) recently and, though I've owned a lot of dive watches, none have felt as balanced as the Sub on my 7" wrist. I've tried on a DSSD and SD, but the Sub certainly has a refined feel on the wrist. I just gravitate toward watches that feel good on the wrist, and the Sub doesn't feel top-heavy at all like some divers can. For my wrist, thin divers wear better. If I had an 8" wrist then maybe I'd feel differently, but in general a thick watch moves the weight off the wrist enough for me that I don't always like wearing them - they feel like they want to move and shift and slide rather than sitting against the wrist happily. Haven't worn a DSSD sized for my wrist, but I suspect that would be the case.

I also like watches that slide under a cuff, and that's the other challenge for me with larger watches and why the Sub appeals to me. Different strokes and all that. Wish I could pull off a DSSD, they sure are cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Just got my first Sub (hulk) recently and, though I've owned a lot of dive watches, none have felt as balanced as the Sub on my 7" wrist. I've tried on a DSSD and SD, but the Sub certainly has a refined feel on the wrist. I just gravitate toward watches that feel good on the wrist, and the Sub doesn't feel top-heavy at all like some divers can. For my wrist, thin divers wear better. If I had an 8" wrist then maybe I'd feel differently, but in general a thick watch moves the weight off the wrist enough for me that I don't always like wearing them - they feel like they want to move and shift and slide rather than sitting against the wrist happily. Haven't worn a DSSD sized for my wrist, but I suspect that would be the case.

I also like watches that slide under a cuff, and that's the other challenge for me with larger watches and why the Sub appeals to me. Different strokes and all that. Wish I could pull off a DSSD, they sure are cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yea the black bay is very too heavy and it’s construction makes it so that it slides around the wrist a lot if you have it loose. Not a big deal. I’ve adjusted the bracelet so it doesn’t move around. A bigger issue with the black bay for me are the rivets which I tried to but never really liked. I’ve also at first liked the fact that the ingenieur was able to fit under a cuff on tight setting, but these days I actually prefer that the watch doesn’t slide too easily under the cuff, but at the same time isn’t huge. But overall sliding under a cuff or top-heaviness are non-factors when buying or selling a watch - very minor issues for me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I love both, but prefer the SubC. I’m a big man myself (7.75” wrists), and my SubC and BLNR are the only 40mm pieces I’ve ever owned (I’ve always been a 42mm or larger guy) but they wear exceptional. The DS felt like a brick on my wrist after wearing my Omega 8500 PO in titanium and then getting both my SubC and BLNR. Both choices are excellent, but I just prefer the SubC. Happy Birthday to your boy! What a stellar, stellar gift that will be!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts