WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve had this watch for a week and must say it is the best Citizen I’ve ever had. But I’ve noticed that the watch face has some defects and wonder anybody else has noticed it as well.

At the bottom left of the “Digital display 2″ the surface of the watch face is slightly dented (see the attached JPEGs for details). Anybody noticed that? Did you notice any other defects?

Thanks,
-Ad

Update!: I’ve got great news! I have just received an update from Citizen US. They have submitted the image showing the defect to Citizen Japan and have received confirmation that it is a manufacturing defect that has affected some batches of watches. Citizen will be producing extra parts for defect claims. So make sure to contact the Citizen service headquarters in your country to get the defective watch dial/face replaced as soon as possible!

If you are in the US, you can could e-mail their customer service at: [email protected]

Please do thank the team at Citizen US for their excellent customer service and support. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have the US version of this timepiece and no issues at all in the dial.

I’ve had this watch for a week and must say it is the best Citizen I’ve ever had. But I’ve noticed that the watch face has some defects and wonder anybody else has noticed it as well.

At the bottom left of the “Digital display 2″ the surface of the watch face is slightly dented. Anybody noticed that? Did you notice any other defects?

Thanks,
-Ad

·
Registered
2,825 Posts

At the bottom left of the “Digital display 2″ the surface of the watch face is slightly dented. Anybody noticed that? Did you notice any other defects?

Thanks,
-Ad
I've got the 2833 but I can't look at it because I broke the crystal and sent it back to Japan to be fixed. It should get back here within a week or so..... Higuchi said he'd have it by the end of the month. I'll look when I get it and if I find anything, I'll post it on this thread.

When I had it before I broke the crystal, though, I didn't see anything.

Are you going to send it back?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the 2833 but I can't look at it because I broke the crystal and sent it back to Japan to be fixed. It should get back here within a week or so..... Higuchi said he'd have it by the end of the month. I'll look when I get it and if I find anything, I'll post it on this thread.

When I had it before I broke the crystal, though, I didn't see anything.

Are you going to send it back?
Sorry to hear that. I thought sapphire crystal is very difficult to break compared to mineral crystal. Mind if I asked how did it break?

I've had Citizen watches before and this is not the first time the watch face had defects. I previously had a Citizen 17jewels automatic that had the "Citizen" gold lettering on the watch face crooked.

I am not sure if I want to send it back yet, I just sent an e-mail to the merchant in Japan. I'll decide after receiving his reply.

Thanks,
-Ad

·
Registered
283 Posts
The iPod Nano problem...

Sorry to hear that. I thought sapphire crystal is very difficult to break compared to mineral crystal.
Sapphire crystals are very hard they are difficult to scratch but that doesn't mean that they are difficult to break. Sapphire crystals are very brittle. Traditional acrylic crystals are probably stronger than sapphire, they also have the advantage that they will flex to absorb the shock of an impact that would shatter a sapphire crystal. Acrylics do, however, scratch easily.

When the original iPod Nano designers did their bit they probably specified a "strong" plastic. Polycarbonates are strong but they scratch easily.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been receiving e-mails from other owners of this watch with the same defect. I would like to request those who have this watch drop me an e-mail.

Please e-mail me the following info:
- Which merchant you bought the watch from.
- The defects you have found on your watch or that your watch is defect free.

I plan to raise a complaint to Citizen and find a resolution.

My e-mail: adkiller at post dot com

Thanks,
-Ad

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the same dial defect on my Attesa ATV53-2834.
I would never have noticed it had you not pointed it out.
This small defect does not bother me (presbyopia working in my favor).
I really like the watch a lot.
Cheers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the same dial defect on my Attesa ATV53-2834.
I would never have noticed it had you not pointed it out.
This small defect does not bother me (presbyopia working in my favor).
I really like the watch a lot.
Cheers!
Hi TXCO,

Check out the update in my first post!
Thanks for confirming the defect!

-Ad

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I thought sapphire crystal is very difficult to break compared to mineral crystal. Mind if I asked how did it break?

I've had Citizen watches before and this is not the first time the watch face had defects. I previously had a Citizen 17jewels automatic that had the "Citizen" gold lettering on the watch face crooked.

I am not sure if I want to send it back yet, I just sent an e-mail to the merchant in Japan. I'll decide after receiving his reply.

Thanks,
-Ad
In addition to the 2833, I've got two Chronomasters, a Citizen Exceed EBJ74-1742 Perpetual Calendar and a Navihawk whose model number I can't find. No flaws on any of them.

As to how I broke the crystal, I have absolutely no idea! I looked at it one day and found it broken. I had obviously bashed it on something, but I honestly don't remember doing it. It had a circular crunch, like what you see when some-one hits his windshield with his head, about a third of the crystal diameter and right against the bezel.

If I may, I'd suggest trying to take a macro photo of your flaw and e-mail it to the vendor.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey, adkiller. Did you get your watch repaired yet? Thanks to your post, I contacted Seiya to order this watch, and specifically asked him if he knew if the defects had been worked out. He told me he would order it direct from Citizen, and there should be no problems now, but it would take 2 weeks. Thankfully, it only took about 3 days, and I should have it tomorrow (2834).

How are you liking the watch, minus the defect? Have you had any problems with scratching at all? I've heard the DLC is pretty good on Citizen watches.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
In addition to the 2833, I've got two Chronomasters, a Citizen Exceed EBJ74-1742 Perpetual Calendar and a Navihawk whose model number I can't find. No flaws on any of them.

As to how I broke the crystal, I have absolutely no idea! I looked at it one day and found it broken. I had obviously bashed it on something, but I honestly don't remember doing it. It had a circular crunch, like what you see when some-one hits his windshield with his head, about a third of the crystal diameter and right against the bezel.

If I may, I'd suggest trying to take a macro photo of your flaw and e-mail it to the vendor.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
Following our recent exchange, I' have my 2833 back from Citizen, via Higuchi, and it does not have the defect that yours has. Now that I have it back and have fought my way through the maze of instructions telling me how to set it etc, I have found an oddity....... I don't know whether to call it a defect or not. I am in St Louis, MO, which falls into the Chicago time zone. The UTS time is, correctly, 6 hours later. ie, 3 pm here is 6 pm UTS. Because I am planning to go to Germany in the spring, I set the world time to Berlin, which, like most of Europe, should be an hour later than UTS/London. But it's not, Berlin shows two hours later than London, 8 hours later than here! It's easily fixed, just set it to Paris instead of Berlin!
An additional oddity is that the watch has no date!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Following our recent exchange, I' have my 2833 back from Citizen, via Higuchi, and it does not have the defect that yours has. Now that I have it back and have fought my way through the maze of instructions telling me how to set it etc, I have found an oddity....... I don't know whether to call it a defect or not. I am in St Louis, MO, which falls into the Chicago time zone. The UTS time is, correctly, 6 hours later. ie, 3 pm here is 6 pm UTS. Because I am planning to go to Germany in the spring, I set the world time to Berlin, which, like most of Europe, should be an hour later than UTS/London. But it's not, Berlin shows two hours later than London, 8 hours later than here! It's easily fixed, just set it to Paris instead of Berlin!
An additional oddity is that the watch has no date!
I've had strange things like you are talking about when changing the time zone on an atomic watch. For instance, when I first got one from Japan, and changed it from TYO to CHI, the time was an hour off. Once it synced, it was set to the correct time. I assume it had something to do with DST. So you might want to try and do a sync after you change the time when in Germany, otherwise, you may find that if you set it to Paris, it will eventually have the wrong time, once it does sync.

As far as the date, I'm not sure what you mean. If you set the watch to CAL, it will show the date in the digital display.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts