WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Re: Good trade or not for Explorer II

Older DJ non precious metal DJ models in the smaller mm size don't hold their value as well as Rolex sport models and a 10 year old Seamaster don't go for big bucks. Don't get me wrong, I would wear them in a heartbeat and own a Seamaster but even an older Explorer 2 is double the retail price what is was 10 years ago. These are just values on paper but emotionally and personally you need to decide for yourself. For me, I don't think its a bad deal.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts

Personally, I would do it. Exp II is a much more desirable watch :-!

·
Registered
153 Posts

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. I know 1500 is a bit much to add on, but then again, it makes my life easier then to sell the watches and rebuy the EXII. I almost never wear the omega as well.
That is very true. Just wondering, but are many trades in HK done person to person, or are almost all transactions done through a shop/AD?

·
Registered
5,497 Posts

Personally, not a fan of the older DJ's smaller mm and an older seamaster missing links. Missing links is a biggie, seems like a solid trade in you favor. Of course IMHO.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts

Older DJ non precious metal DJ models in the smaller mm size don't hold their value as well as Rolex sport models and a 10 year old Seamaster don't go for big bucks. Don't get me wrong, I would wear them in a heartbeat and own a Seamaster but even an older Explorer 2 is double the retail price what is was 10 years ago. These are just values on paper but emotionally and personally you need to decide for yourself. For me, I don't think its a bad deal.
I don't think it is a bad deal either, candidly, and if you could lower the amount of cash you would pay, it would be even better.

mike.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts

That sounds like a very bad trade. Both watches PLUS the cash?? No way.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts

Is this for the current EXP II 42mm or the previous 40mm. I based my thoughts off of current model. If older model Exp II then $1,500 seems steep.
But you are missing links and have not mentioned condition of all watches involved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

apologies. his is a mint older model from 1998 or 2000. mine are good condition, but not mint. thanks!

·
Registered
14,861 Posts

apologies. his is a mint older model from 1998 or 2000. mine are good condition, but not mint. thanks!
Honestly, still a bad deal. (Well, for him it would be a sweet trade.)

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Good trade or not for Explorer II

That Exp II year 1998-2000 has sold on average on eBay for about $3,800 (used sold listings search to see real selling prices). Subtract your 1,500 cash, means you are getting $2,300 for your two watches. Only you know the true condition of your watches since you are LACKING pics to help us out. Details like all box/papers, colors, pic of DJ & Omega, make this just a guessing game on our end. So on paper it looks like you are getting short end with what we know.

Reactions: watchVT

·
Registered
621 Posts

I'd like to see photos of your two watches and the Explorer II. The fact that you are missing links hurts a little. That Explorer II, based on condition, should be worth around $3800-4100. I have a late F series Explorer II so I think that's a range I'd be comfortable paying for that particular model. Without knowing the condition of all three watches it's hard to say if you're making a fair trade but it's likely in the ballpark. All that matters is if you are satisfied with the deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts