WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, its no beauty any more!::-d

Shield (7).JPG

But I bought this because of the patent number seen on the lug. It is 430296, which is shown (abstract only) here: espacenet - Bibliographic data

espacenetImage.jpg

Its a 3-part case made - and patented - by Dennison in 1935. The key feature seems to have been that the lugs are integrated in the bezel - something later seen on a lot of low end British watches.

Shield (2).JPG Shield.JPG Shield (3).JPG Shield (4).JPG Shield (13).JPG

Alas, the dial and hands have been augmented with blobs of white paint - maybe luminous at one time - and is also badly marked.

The Swiss movement is marked 'Shield Sterling', which I can't find anything about. It is a 10''' (or thereabouts) 15J movement and has INCABLOC shock protection. Unless I'm mistaken, this must have been a very early example of its usage - particularly in a non-military watch. I can't identify the movement, nothing under the balance, which is running fine and keeping time.

Shield (8).JPG
Bought on a whim for £3.20.

Dennison's original premises:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi Marrick,

No movement pic?

shame about the dial.... but on a whim, it still seems like a bargain..... very interesting case design!

Marc

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I thought your collection would clam down marrick but you are always buying more. How do you hide all these from the wife lol. Like Marc said where is the movement pic not like you to forget. Shame about the dial condition, wouldnt be too bad if it wasnt those blobs, I think they must of used a tipp-ex brush lol

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I thought your collection would clam down marrick but you are always buying more. How do you hide all these from the wife lol. Like Marc said where is the movement pic not like you to forget. Shame about the dial condition, wouldnt be too bad if it wasnt those blobs, I think they must of used a tipp-ex brush lol
Its there now - but the forum's playing up. Hit 'refresh' if you still can't see it.

My wife is very understanding - and even, occasionally, shows a little interest. The only real constraint is money - I'll have to sell a few soon.;-)

Yes, the blobs are a real killer on the dial. I might have a go at cleaning it, but I suspect it would end up worse.:think:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
whoever tried to convert that classic dial into luminous on failed miserably. I would definately redial it if it were mine. The case alone makes it worth savings.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mike. I'll think about it - but its probably not one I'd wear much.

However, I have now removed the dial, and once more I have a mystery movement!

Maru (8).JPG

Its the best I can manage, but not very clear I know. it has MARU in a triangle. I can't find MARU anywhere.

Maru (3).JPG

The nearest match is this Unitas movement - although its bigger at 10.5'''.

Maru.JPG

Anyone know Maru?

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,797 Posts
Now that is strange timing! Just earlier I started a new thread wanting someone to identify my own mystery movement, but never posted it because I didn't have the measurements. Then I saw your movement shot and thought how similar it was. I think you might have just solved mine! Mine is small so 10.5'" could well be right.

Similar to yours?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Curious as to why you think the incabloc is an early design? Looks like a rather standard unit; it's a modular design that I see on a lot of my 40's and 50's watches that I think was geared towards being retrofit into existing balance designs.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Curious as to why you think the incabloc is an early design? Looks like a rather standard unit; it's a modular design that I see on a lot of my 40's and 50's watches that I think was geared towards being retrofit into existing balance designs.
Well I - possibly wrongly - assumed that it had been there from the start. And I think that the watch is 30's rather than 40's or 50's. Was retrofitting Incablocs that common?

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now that is strange timing! Just earlier I started a new thread wanting someone to identify my own mystery movement, but never posted it because I didn't have the measurements. Then I saw your movement shot and thought how similar it was. I think you might have just solved mine! Mine is small so 10.5'" could well be right.

Similar to yours?
Extremely so I think.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Looks like you all have a movement match - which is particularly good news for Mirius as he needs parts.

Nice 1930s/40s era catch Steve. It bears a resemblence to my Pierce.

So, I am thinking, perhaps it isn't the lugs that were patented? I should go read the patent first - but it would seem these are close enough to argue.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The lugs on your nice Pierce are part of the middle section of the case - the patent refers to having them on the top, bezel, section.

430,296. Watch cases. DENNISON WATCH CASE CO., Ltd., and DENNISON, A. L., Villa Road, Handsworth, Birmingham. Nov. 19, 1934, No. 33189. [Class 139] In a wristlet watch the loops or lugs for attaching the band or bracket are formed integral with a sheet 7, Figs. 1, 2, portions 10 of which nest in recesses 9 in the case centre band 5 formed with an integral bezel portion 6. The sheet 7 is soldered in position and the case back 18 which carries the movement snaps into it. In a three piece watch case, comprising a centre band 12 carrying the movement, a detachable bezel, and a back 16, a sheet 13 similar to that shown in Fig. 4 is similarly secured to the centre band 12 and has a flange over which the back snaps at 15. The invention is also applicable to a watch wherein the wrist band is formed as described in Specification 363,953.

espacenetImage.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts