WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Deployant Clasp - Yay or Nay?

I have an Antea KS on order, which should be ready in about 2 or 3 weeks. I am debating whether or not to add a Stowa deployment clasp to my order. Or should I just go with another generic make of clasp? I definately do want a deployment clasp one way or another.

I would like to hear you opinions on the Stowa deployments, how are their quality & comfort, do you guys like them?

If any of you guys have pics of them on one of your watches I would like to see them.

any & all opinions welcomed.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'm a fan of it. It is a very well made deployant, with a retaining screw to hold the size fixed. I did find that it works best on thinner straps though. I ordered one with my Marine Original roman. The strap that came with that watch is a very solid and thick brown leather strap. With that strap, it would take a quite a lot of pressure to firmly secure it closed. Even then, I never felt like it was solidly closed.

What I ended up doing is buying a custom alligator strap from Lone Star Watches in the same 22 x 18 size as the original strap. That strap is much thinner, and works much much better with the Stowa deployant. So much so that I don't move the deployant from that strap. I bought a Stowa buckle for the thick brown leather strap, and swap straps as they are assembled with buckle / deployant.

I don't have any pictures of it, I'm sure somebody else will.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ditto all of Dre's comments. My MO was delivered with a thick, black leather strap and the Stowa deployant. Due to the strap's thickness, there was far too much bulk at the deployant and it bent the strap outward. When I wear that strap, I use the regular Stowa buckle now. However, the Stowa deployant works VERY well with thinner straps, such as my blue Hirsch Duke.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ditto all of Dre's comments. My MO was delivered with a thick, black leather strap and the Stowa deployant. Due to the strap's thickness, there was far too much bulk at the deployant and it bent the strap outward. When I wear that strap, I use the regular Stowa buckle now. However, the Stowa deployant works VERY well with thinner straps, such as my blue Hirsch Duke.
Do you have any pictures that show how the strap gets bent? I am thinking about a croco strap (which presumably is thick) and deployment clasp.

Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wear my MO on an a Stowa croco strap with deployant. It works for me, no problems at all. Just curious and jealous looks of people not familiar with these beautiful watches. IMHO strap and deployant certainly "upgrade" the watch.

Greetings, W.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
yes, by all means get everything "Stowa", it'll look fab.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wear my AO with the strap usually sold with the MO (Black nappa with white stitching).
I have used the deployment for two months but the result was not perfect:
=> As the strap was new and quiet thick, it was not very easy to close it.
=> I have a small wrist (16.5 cm) and one part of the strap is the little bit to long (0.5cm). As a result, the deployment was off center and the wearing was not very comfortable (sometimes some pinches) and not so nice looking (the shape of the deployment stretches the strap).

So I go back with the 'simple' buckle but I will probably use the deployment with a custom made strap.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the deployment clasp on my airman auto and like it. It took a little while to get comfortable with it, and the riveted nappa airman strap is a little thick for it, but I really like the look and convenience of the deployment. I just wish Stowa offered a flip clasp...IMO it is much more comfortable than the butterfly clasp.

·
Registered
287 Posts
OK, I installed my deployant clasp again to take some pictures. As you can see, the Stowa deployant is not a good fit with THICK straps. (It does, however, work very well with THIN straps.) I would guess that 2-3 mm is the max that would work. Obviously you could use a strap that is thicker at the lugs since that would not affect the deployant.

The pictured strap is a black Stowa called "Chronosoft"; it's the thicker premium leather strap that they offer

Here are the photos. The last one gives a good close-up look at the problem. The thickness of the strap doesn't allow the deployant to lay flat against itself. It may not look like it, but the deployant is completely latched and closed in these pictures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Excellent Pictures. Thanks so much you for taking the time to reinstall the clasp and post the photos.

If anyone could provide similar pictures with a Croco Strap from Stowa it would be the final step prior to me sending through my order.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No problem. :-!

Can't get the Stowa crocs here in the US, so I'm afraid I can't help on that one directly. For what it's worth, this photo appears on the Stowa website. It looks good from this angle, but it's hard to say whether it has the same thickness issues I have experienced with my leather strap. You might try emailing Stowa (feel free to send them a copy of my previous photos if you need to describe the thickness issue).

·
Registered
356 Posts
That's what happens with any double-fold deployant on a thick strap, and why I use single-folde deployants. This is worse when you have thin wrists, because the strap usually get thicker as the clasp goes further towards the spring bar end... One reason to use deployants is that a properly fitting clasp will let you avoid any sharp bends in the leather, so the strap lasts longer.

That strap is a 22x18, and there are many brushed or polished stainless steel single-fold 18mm clasps available. They may not say "Stowa," but they'll fit far better!

·
Registered
287 Posts
That's what happens with any double-fold deployant on a thick strap, and why I use single-folde deployants. This is worse when you have thin wrists, because the strap usually get thicker as the clasp goes further towards the spring bar end... One reason to use deployants is that a properly fitting clasp will let you avoid any sharp bends in the leather, so the strap lasts longer.

That strap is a 22x18, and there are many brushed or polished stainless steel single-fold 18mm clasps available. They may not say "Stowa," but they'll fit far better!
I'm glad you revived this thread and posted this, because it never crossed my mind to try a single-fold. It makes sense, though, as the clasp would only be under the longer strap end and would elevate it so it doesn't have to bend upwards to insert into the shorter end.

I have a few, but none in 18mm. Guess I'll order one and give it a shot! :thanks

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up ordering the Antea with the deployant clasp. Works fine, I like it.

I'm surprised how many people (out in the world, not here) have never seen a deployant clasp. Everybody is like "Wow, how neat. I've never seen a buckle like that"

·
Registered
55 Posts
...there are many brushed or polished stainless steel single-fold 18mm clasps available. They may not say "Stowa," but they'll fit far better!
JML, would you mind pointing me in the right direction for where to find single-fold clasps. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
356 Posts
JML, would you mind pointing me in the right direction for where to find single-fold clasps. Thanks in advance.
We'll see if these survive moderation and forum rules:

My favorite is the EOT Deluxe, a German-made clasp which is no longer available. It has the nicest finish, IMHO, a slight dome shape on the hoop, and the nicest tight curve on the clasp's bars. It won't fit thick straps, though, topping out at a dome-shaped 4mm. Just thought I'd throw that in...

You can peruse these sites below; they all offer different clasps. The differences to look for are (1) locking buttons versus friction-fit, (2) depth of the hoop -- some are for thick straps and some are for thin straps, (3) shape of the hoop -- slightly domed versus flat, (4) the shape of the curve of the clasp's bars -- the part along your wrist, (5) the method of pinning the clasp to the strap's holes -- pin on the base under the hoop, separate screw-fit pin, or some other method, (6) the flexibility of the clasp where the hoop meets the bars -- some will pivot there and others will not, affecting the fit on your wrist, and (7) the overall finish of all the parts, such as the ends of the hoop where the pivot pin fits, the inside of the bars, etc.

If you get a polished clasp, you can very easily add a brushed finish (I do that myself, using flexible abrasive cloth from MicroMesh, with the scratch lines going along the long axis of the hoop, because that can easily be refinished if it gets scratched). Some are available in a matte finish, or you can get a clasp bead-blasted by someone like IWW (in the USA).

EOT Deployant Clasps: http://65.181.166.146/eotstore/page4.html
Freda Watch Straps: http://fredawatchstraps.com/
TimeDesign.de: http://www.timedesign.de/home_e.html?bands_e.html
Watchbandcenter: http://www.watch-band-center.com/shop-watchstrap.html
MyWatchmaker.net: http://www.mywatchmaker.net/

My suggestion is to get ONLY the "Made in Germany" clasps, and avoid the cheaper Far East versions (they're often poorly finished, reflecting a cheaper price). I have many of these German-made clasps in my watch straps/parts bin, but I use mostly the EOT Deluxe clasps, which I bought several years ago. They only offer their "Standard" version now for single-folds in stainless/18mm, which is slightly less curved than the Deluxe. For thick straps, I use the Watchbandcenter single-fold or a EOT Standard single-fold. If you want a locking clasp, look at MyWatchmaker or Freda Watch Straps. In Europe, try Watchbancenter (they ship fast to the USA, anyway!).

The arms of the single-fold usually make the thickness of the strap the same on both sides of the watch; in other words, the doubled thickness of leather after the clasp is balanced by the thickness of the clasp's arms and one layer of leather on the other!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts