WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

i am am looking for anyone that has a Depth Gauge and has had it in the water. I am curious about your impressions of the way it measured the depth? I have been looking at them at my AD and an seriously considering the purchase but am a little leery of being an owner of a new design. Please help re-assure me. Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
60,591 Posts
Hi Kevin, my DG hasn't even got wet though they are supposed to be fairly accurate at measuring the depth. I have no doubts about either the Aquis case or the movement in the DG (I have both in other watches) but having said how good it is I don't think I would rely on it to dive with.
In fact I'm fairly sure that even Oris say that you shouldn't rely on just the DG to dive with. Although the DG is new the SW200 movement and the Aquis case are both well established now. Go on, get one - they are a superb watch!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kevin,

Here is a quick video review of the watch: Das Chronos Magazin testet die Oris Aquis Depth Gauge - YouTube

In case you don't speak German here are the main points:
- Measurements shows small deviations compared to other measuring equipment.
- Display is easy to read; however, for depth between 30m and 100m the scale is not precise enough.
- The bezel is a bit hard to turn however it works very well underwater and turns very well even with gloves.
- The strap is very good, easy to put on and to adjust.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you were still thinking about it, I recently purchased the DG and took it diving the next day (and several days after that). It worked fantastically.

I will say if you take it to the beach and just run in and out of the water, you will see some water get into the gauge, which would create a bit of a false under water. I had it read up to 1.5m before actually taking it to depth. It actually dries out perfectly with no residual effect within about 15 minutes.

If taking it diving, hopefully this is obvious, do not consider this your primary gauge. Mine was accurate within a few feet, however it does not readily display max depth during dive, just your current location. It is, however, simply great for the 15 minute safety stop. Plus it's a gorgeous watch to stare at for a few minutes.

I tried to get a good picture with it next to my computer for reference, but my camera flash was too bright for the gauge to be easily visible. A future quest for the next dives.

·
Registered
13,948 Posts
How do you know if you get sand or other crud in the depth gauge mechanism? How do you get it out if it does get in there?

·
Registered
60,591 Posts
How do you know if you get sand or other crud in the depth gauge mechanism? How do you get it out if it does get in there?
Oris actually say to check the depth measuring tube for debris before you dive in it and each DG comes with a handy cleaning kit for the job - better known as a syringe and very thin tube. Mind you the syringe does say Oris on it so it must be a special one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts