WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to get a getat watch for a few months now and i've been mulling over my options. At first I wanted a big 47mm watch, but the options on that size are more limited, and there is no option for sapphire crystal.

I was also debating between getting a skeleton watch, or a more plane one with a basic dial.

I was thinking of going with his rose gold 44mm case, black pvd skeletal movement, gold hands (or maybe black pilot hands?), premium black strap, and yellow or beige stitching. Also NO dial, so it would be a skeleton style watch, with sapphire crystal.

What do you all think of that idea? What colour stitching do you think would best match the rose gold with black pvd dial and gold hands? Do you think black pilot hands would be better?

That colour case, but with a black strap (stitching?), and no dial just a skeletal black pvd movement.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now i'm thinking of a black leather strap with white stitching, rose gold case as shown above, and a black dial with black lume, with gold hands with superlume as shown here.

So bascially imagine this watch with the rose gold case I showed above, and with maybe white stitching instead (I think the one shown here is beige stitching).

The problem I have with the idea of a skeleton is that A) there are no markings anywhere for time telling (not a big deal), and B) there is no case back, so you will see right through to your arm, and there is a significant amount of space to see through the movement to my hairy arm.

·
Registered
473 Posts
that sounds like a good setup to me. I personally like the gold case because you dont see many of them around here, mostly stainless, titanium, or pvd. Not to mention the black dial with black lume is just awesome and would look good in the gold case with gold hands.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that sounds like a good setup to me. I personally like the gold case because you dont see many of them around here, mostly stainless, titanium, or pvd. Not to mention the black dial with black lume is just awesome and would look good in the gold case with gold hands.
Thanks for the support!

I also like the rose gold, since it isn't your typical, classic gold colour.

What do you think about the strap? Dark brown with white stitching, black with white stitching, black with beige stitching?

I'm tempted to go with a black strap (to match the black dial with black lume), but i'm torn on what colour of stitching to go with. My fear is that if I pick a yellow or beige stitching that it won't match the rose gold case well and it will clash. With white stitching on black leather it will match with the rose gold case.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just realized that SILVER HANDS, on the all black face, with the rose gold case would probably look the best.

that would also go better with the white stitching.

·
Registered
778 Posts
If the color of the stitching doesn't match, you can restitch it yourself or have a tailor do it for you. A while ago I restitched my black strap with this shiny semi-metallic thread that matched the rose gold on my watch 99%. I took my watch to a local sewing shop and they had an entire wall full of various thread colors. Rose gold stitching on a black strap looks VERY nice and unique! Unfortunately I don't have pics and I sold off that strap.

Thanks for the support!

I also like the rose gold, since it isn't your typical, classic gold colour.

What do you think about the strap? Dark brown with white stitching, black with white stitching, black with beige stitching?

I'm tempted to go with a black strap (to match the black dial with black lume), but i'm torn on what colour of stitching to go with. My fear is that if I pick a yellow or beige stitching that it won't match the rose gold case well and it will clash. With white stitching on black leather it will match with the rose gold case.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the color of the stitching doesn't match, you can restitch it yourself or have a tailor do it for you. A while ago I restitched my black strap with this shiny semi-metallic thread that matched the rose gold on my watch 99%. I took my watch to a local sewing shop and they had an entire wall full of various thread colors. Rose gold stitching on a black strap looks VERY nice and unique! Unfortunately I don't have pics and I sold off that strap.
Ah nice, that is a good idea.

Based on his stock colours, what do you think would look best with a rose gold case, black dial, and silver hands?

·
Registered
778 Posts
If I had to choose, I'd go with a black strap and restitch the stitching to a rose gold color to give it a very unique look. But based on his stock colors, I'd go with a black strap with black stitching because it's not likely that his colors would match with rose gold and you wouldn't have to worry about colors clashing. The black strap will help "flow" with the black dial, but then again, a brown strap gives a nice contrast and looks nice as well.

I haven't seen too many rose gold watches, but I think it would look nice. Rose gold always sees to go well with black.

Ah nice, that is a good idea.

Based on his stock colours, what do you think would look best with a rose gold case, black dial, and silver hands?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I had to choose, I'd go with a black strap and restitch the stitching to a rose gold color to give it a very unique look. But based on his stock colors, I'd go with a black strap with black stitching because it's not likely that his colors would match with rose gold and you wouldn't have to worry about colors clashing. The black strap will help "flow" with the black dial, but then again, a brown strap gives a nice contrast and looks nice as well.

I haven't seen too many rose gold watches, but I think it would look nice. Rose gold always sees to go well with black.
Ah that sounds good. I think i'll change the movement to the gunmetal pvd 6497 (not the skeletal one) since I like the look of the coloured screws and the reserve gauge.

I'll also go with the black strap with black stitching (I was just worried that the all black strap would look too plain with the all black face).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've gotten a response from tat so i'm almost in business. I think i'm going with black leather strap on black stitching. Would that be too plain?

Now if only I could have this combo in 47mm (with sapphire and rose gold)!

·
Registered
778 Posts
If it looks too plain restitch it with a different color :-!. It's not hard to restitch it because when you take out the original stitches there are the old holes where the original stitch is. All you do is thread the new stitching into the old holes and everything is perfectly aligned. Threads are pretty cheap too, and if you want to get creative you can have alternating colors or something.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it looks too plain restitch it with a different color :-!. It's not hard to restitch it because when you take out the original stitches there are the old holes where the original stitch is. All you do is thread the new stitching into the old holes and everything is perfectly aligned. Threads are pretty cheap too, and if you want to get creative you can have alternating colors or something.
Ya that was a good point earlier about the rose-gold thread as well. I was concerned that it might hard to do, but that sounds easy.

·
Registered
778 Posts
This man speaks the truth! I nearly forgot, but he's right. Gold, rose gold, and PVD wear off really quick on homage watches. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say to avoid all gold or rose gold cases. The rose gold on my Orient Star holds up quite well (and it should for the price!). There's the saying "you get what you pay for."

Oh, and if you decide to restitch, I recommend you go buy a cheap $6 leather strap and practice on that.

Avoid any GOLD, or ROSE GOLD cases. They tarnish in no time, esp for a homage. Take note.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This man speaks the truth! I nearly forgot, but he's right. Gold, rose gold, and PVD wear off really quick on homage watches. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say to avoid all gold or rose gold cases. The rose gold on my Orient Star holds up quite well (and it should for the price!). There's the saying "you get what you pay for."

Oh, and if you decide to restitch, I recommend you go buy a cheap $6 leather strap and practice on that.
My problem is that i like the black PVD cases, I like the rose gold even more, and I don't like the other plain metal ones. So it was either order rose gold or nothing for me.

I figured the watch is good enough quality and nice enough for the money that I can take the chance.

Does that mean that all rose gold plated fashion watches would probably suffer the same fate? (I.e. those swiss made guess collection watches, or a POLICE watch, etc...)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I finalized the 44mm rose gold case, all black dial and numbers (stealth and sterile, no lume), silver hands with superlume, premium natural black leather strap with black stitching, sapphire crystal, and polished steel buckle (they don't have rose gold in the buckles so i figured the polished would match the hands).

Fingers crossed that the rose gold coating doesn't rub off on my jacket!

I also ordered a Rotary automatic watch a couple of weeks ago and i'll compare the two when they arrive. I got the rotary on a good sale for about $120 shipped, and I paid $130 shipped for the getat watch (both in Canadian dollars). So they were very similar in price and it would be cool to compare feel and quality.

The Rotary was a clearance on beyond the rack down from the retail price of about $450 US (but they sell online for around 160 euros, or about $220-350 US).

The Rotary has a japanese movement and mineral crystal, and the Getat has a chinese movement and sapphire crystal. So it will be interesting to see how the stack up against each other. I'll post pictures of both!

·
Registered
61 Posts
So I finalized the 44mm rose gold case, all black dial and numbers (stealth and sterile, no lume), silver hands with superlume, premium natural black leather strap with black stitching, sapphire crystal, and polished steel buckle (they don't have rose gold in the buckles so i figured the polished would match the hands).

Fingers crossed that the rose gold coating doesn't rub off on my jacket!

I also ordered a Rotary automatic watch a couple of weeks ago and i'll compare the two when they arrive. I got the rotary on a good sale for about $120 shipped, and I paid $130 shipped for the getat watch (both in Canadian dollars). So they were very similar in price and it would be cool to compare feel and quality.

The Rotary was a clearance on beyond the rack down from the retail price of about $450 US (but they sell online for around 160 euros, or about $220-350 US).

The Rotary has a japanese movement and mineral crystal, and the Getat has a chinese movement and sapphire crystal. So it will be interesting to see how the stack up against each other. I'll post pictures of both!
i was just emailing them to see if the black face/number dial was available on the rose gold... figured id try to see if anyone else had this question and look what i found... search does work huh?

i think i am going to go with gold hands though, black strap as well.

what was the lead time for delivery?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i was just emailing them to see if the black face/number dial was available on the rose gold... figured id try to see if anyone else had this question and look what i found... search does work huh?

i think i am going to go with gold hands though, black strap as well.

what was the lead time for delivery?
I just paid a couple of hours ago and his email said production time is 8 days after payment.

So I would assume it will be shipped within 1.5-2 weeks of paying, and receive it maybe 2 weeks after shipping. Other people have been saying he is really busy, but he responded to about 10 emails from me in the last 2 or 3 days, and just told me 8 days to finish after payment.

·
Registered
231 Posts
hi thesmo,

any news ?
would be great to see your experience !
i am tempted to , to one of those MM handwounds, but simple solid steel, no fancy gold...
it seems the straps are great too!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts