WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 409 Posts

· Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if we are set on using Orthos on the dial as part of the logo? I know there was a lot discussion on what should be put on the dial, but it seems like all the renders since the project went official have used the Orthos name. I guess I've been wondering about this ever since I showed a render to my wife and the first thing she said was "looks nice, what's Orthos? Sounds like a dental company". And then I saw the logo for our daughters orthodontist:

View attachment 5591265

Now the name doesn't sit with me as well. For the record, I am perfectly fine with it if that's what gets voted for.

So, since the name logo vote won't be too far off, I think it would be great to see a few other options just so we have an idea of what we are voting for.

I really like the RNVR Commander stripes, but maybe we could use them with the L&H name:

View attachment 5591337

I know the Orthos name looks great and resembles Omega somewhat, but it's always seemed a little redundant to have 2 models names on the dial.

Thoughts?

· Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I think he realizes that, and is just wanting to open up the discussion about other options that might be possible for when the vote does open.

I for one like the way ORTHOS sits on the dial, but am also not tied to that and would be open to seeing other options too. I think Lew & Huey would be the next most logical text, although I have not yet seen a version which compliments the dial the same way the Orthos text does. The only other somewhat logical name, in my view, would be to move whatever name is decided on for the watch from the bottom of the dial to the top, and replace it at the bottom with different text. Again, I am not sure this would compliment the dial as nicely as Orthos, which is why I have settled on Orthos as being the best bet.

I would also be interested in hearing some more reasonable discussion on this.

· Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes, I know that.
My thoughts are though, when we get to the voting, what are we voting for? It seems the only discussions on the logo lately have been the length of the RNVR stripes.
Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on the logo so that we have a little bit better idea of choice (and choices narrowed down) before we get to the vote.

c

· Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Re: name/logo choice. The Committee's actively reading and participating here, so I'm sure your voice is being heard.

Orthos may make you think of your orthodontist now. In a few years, kiddo, your younguns will be out of braces and you'll be seeing an Orthopedist. So, you have that to look forward to.

"L&H" is not the only reasonable or viable alternative to Orthos on the dial, and I don't know how we or Chris will feel about using that name without using the brush script in which it appears on his watches. I would prefer not to use the brush script here, because it will conflict with the script used for "Commander."

For my part, I'd suggest this alternative to "orthos" on the dial:

Omega has this on the '57 Seamaster 300:

Ω
OMEGA
AUTOMATIC

Its layout creates a triangle shape.

If we use the RNVR Logo, we can achieve the same basic idea, except that the RNVR Logo--if we can convince Aaron to knock off one wave from each side--can be rendered to take the place of both the "Ω" and "Omega" of the original--the loop is the Ω, and the waves are the "Omega"--and with AUTOMATIC as in the original at the bottom of the triangle, we have a viable alternative.

I understand that not everybody wants or likes this option, but I would love to see it rendered if Aaron is so inclined, and if it looks as good as I suppose it could, I would like it to be among the voting options.

· Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

I agree that Orthos Commander 300 is redundant from a pure semantics point of view.
I disregarded that lapse in logic because it is VISUALLY appealing.

Lew and Huey makes more sense as it's the actual brand BUT I have yet to see any renders where it LOOKS good on the dial. For whatever reason, words with more rounded letters look better on this design.
For me, if I'm choosing between what looks good and what makes sense, call me shallow I'd rather have my watch look good.

· Registered
232 Posts
3. I would like to see a render, if possible, with one wave removed from each side of the RNVR Logo and Automatic in place of Orthos, just to see how that looks. I tried to do this in Photoshop, but I can't replicate the color gradient Aaron used, so my effort looks like such crap that it'd do nothing but persuade everyone to leave Aaron's design alone (which probably is just as well).
You beat me to the punch, I was thinking this same thing.... Automatic in place of Orthos.

For me, I love the name Commander 300. I agree, it's a perfect nod to Bond and fits with the RNVR stripes, another great nod to not only Bond, but his creator Ian Flemming.
I also agree with the visual appeal that the logo creates using the stripes with the Orthos name.
I would be perfectly happy if the latest renders of the dial is what ends up getting made.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Apologies, this is a bit of a ramble:

The ORTHOS Commander has grown on me as well. But I'm open to other suggestions and renders, keeping in mind that the ORTHOS Commander didn't work for me at all until it was rendered.

Someone mentioned that ORTHOS makes them think of their orthodontist. But after years of wearing this great watch, it will be the other way around--going to the orthodontist will make you think of this lovely watch. :)

I agree that the Lew & Huey scripted name will not suit the dial of this watch. And I'm glad that Chris has not pushed for it, and in fact is quite okay with it not being on the watch at all (even on the back). I don't think of this as an L&H watch, but an L&H case, and "manufactured by L&H".

True, Orthos isn't a brand, but on a project watch like this, it doesn't really have a brand. And it doesn't have to follow any specific naming conventions. This is an Orthos, Commander 300 edition.

Other thoughts:
* I'm of the camp that thinks AUTOMATIC is not needed. Also agree that the WR rating is not needed. These things can go on the back, if desired.
* Some renders had a tiny W and tiny f71 logo at the bottom of the dial. I think the dial looks much better without them. These things can go on the back, if desired.
* I like the wavy commander logo thing. Synaptx's recent compromised length renders are probably the right move.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Just to carry-over to this thread an earlier thought:

Commander and the RNVR Logo are great tie-ins to the books, the character, the author, and the watch we're homaging. It would be difficult to do better, and nobody's come close yet in all of our discussions.
Nobody does it better... makes me feel sad for the rest...

· Registered
1,337 Posts
You beat me to the punch, I was thinking this same thing.... Automatic in place of Orthos.

For me, I love the name Commander 300. I agree, it's a perfect nod to Bond and fits with the RNVR stripes, another great nod to not only Bond, but his creator Ian Flemming.
I also agree with the visual appeal that the logo creates using the stripes with the Orthos name.
I would be perfectly happy if the latest renders of the dial is what ends up getting made.
Willing to see a render of course, but the use of Automatic under the logo at the top of the dial (the most prominent spot), with no other text, gives me shivers. Is the brand of this watch an Automatic? It's an...Automatic Commander 300?

If Automatic were to be included anywhere, and I am not at all opposed to that, put the Commander (or other name?) at the top in place of Orthos, and Automatic at the bottom. With 300m another line below that, if we still want the reference.

Or, no automatic, no WR, put "24 Jewels" down there.

I guess my point is that the "descriptive" text such as automatic are better suited to the bottom of the dial, not at the top. Unless it is placed at the top below more prominent text, but not below a logo alone.

1 - 20 of 409 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.