WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
361 - 380 of 409 Posts

· Registered
2,732 Posts
Okay, more to follow, but let's just put the to-silver-or-not-to-silver argle bargle (love that word, docvail) to rest.

The Committee has decided not to advance the silver text/logo options for a vote. We agree that it could look great, but we recognize that there are legitimate risks associated with that choice that we just can't compensate for. If we aren't willing to gamble on the success of the project for a logo printed in "old radium" tone, then we can't be willing to gamble on silver text when we can't accurately predict the outcome or see a prototype first. So it won't be up for vote. The numerals, minute hashes, text, and logo will all be white.

Anyone who asks "what shade of white?" will be immediately and summarily dismissed from the project.*

*(No, not really.)
Photo caption Nose Mouth Internet meme Adaptation

Haha. It's all good.
For shade of white, I'd prefer Chantilly lace from the benjamin moore catalog.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Just throwing this out there as someone who isn't completely in the know when it comes to the watch manufacturing process. But is a "prototype" dial really that difficult to have?
I'm not being snarky or combative here, I'm genuinely curious.

Even if you can't have a complete mock up of all logos and wording in the exact places, surely we can have some of the colors printed up so we can have a quick visual check before printing 200+ dials?
So a black dial with some silver variant, black dial with white variant, blue/white, blue/silver etc.
Yes? No? Maybe so? Another round of drinks first?
In post 292, Doc said he could get a dial printed for a visual check and reject if terribly wrong. He said it wouldn't happen because his factory won't get it terribly wrong. He said he could print silver. But he could not guarantee how sparkly it would be, or how closely it would match any renders.

Others read that as he cannot guarantee silver will look good and since we are not prototyping, this is a HuGE risk. :-/

· Registered
1,861 Posts
There are many, myself included, who felt the 2013 F71 got derailed by too many options and too much discussion, so you're just going to have to accept voices from those who would rather not see alternative suggestions thrown at the wall just to see if maybe they'll stick. If someone's got an idea that they honestly think improves on what Aaron's been showing, by all means, share it. But variety for variety's sake, in my opinion anyway, is suboptimal.
I wasn't around for the 2013 project, but I do agree with hwa's point of view.

· Registered
2,081 Posts
Okay, more to follow, but let's just put the to-silver-or-not-to-silver argle bargle (love that word, docvail) to rest.

The Committee has decided not to advance the silver text/logo options for a vote. We agree that it could look great, but we recognize that there are legitimate risks associated with that choice that we just can't compensate for. If we aren't willing to gamble on the success of the project for a logo printed in "old radium" tone, then we can't be willing to gamble on silver text when we can't accurately predict the outcome or see a prototype first. So it won't be up for vote. The numerals, minute hashes, text, and logo will all be white.

Anyone who asks "what shade of white?" will be immediately and summarily dismissed from the project.*

*(No, not really.)
Thanks, Jake.

· Banned
839 Posts
I'm not disappointed but I am a bit surprised that the white/silver didn't get a vote. That's the only discussion on this particular thread that had a real shot of altering the course of the current render. Not to mention it rendered all my impassioned arguments for white moot.

· Registered
2,732 Posts
In post 292, Doc said he could get a dial printed for a visual check and reject if terribly wrong. He said it wouldn't happen because his factory won't get it terribly wrong. He said he could print silver. But he could not guarantee how sparkly it would be, or how closely it would match any renders.

Others read that as he cannot guarantee silver will look good and since we are not prototyping, this is a HuGE risk. :-/
I'm sure a lot of the decision came down to possibly screwing the folks that want a date window with something that could clash.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
I'm not disappointed but I am a bit surprised that the white/silver didn't get a vote. That's the only discussion on this particular thread that had a real shot of altering the course of the current render. Not to mention it rendered all my impassioned arguments for white moot.
Lol.

Yeah, that's why I'm guessing there will be no vote on Name and Logo, dial, etc.

I proposed an alternate layout, but don't have the ability to render it attractively. Without an attractive render, it will get no attention, and not be put up for a vote, but it was intended to be a voting option for those who don't like ORTHOS on the dial, and those who want AUTOMATIC on the dial.

Oh well, we will get what we get, it will probably be fine, but I don't feel this was a collaboration of the people who put up $50. I feel like the $50 was just a way to keep 120 people on the hook for what was unofficially designed a few weeks back.

:-/

· Registered
132 Posts
My guess is committee will decide. So much for $50 to vote on design elements.

Yeah, disappointed.
A trifle unfair Zinzan, we voted on hands, bezel edge, bezel insert, colour etc. All, in my view, fairly.
As a Bond fan I, technically should have punted for the 12hour insert - a la Spectre - but I thought the countdown insert a better option which would suit all in the project...

The silver/white debate generated a lot of valid opinions, but it could have dragged on forever.....we all want a clean/legible dial - the white will give us that clarity / match the date wheel for those who want it / is guaranteed not to look out of place with the other elements. Individuals' ideas of what constitutes the correct silver is divisive, so I reckon its right we had to reign this one in.....

· Registered
627 Posts
I knew that synaptix was playing with our heads again!, that guy is pure evil.

At least now we can start the white/pearl/cream/ivory numerals discussion.

· Registered
627 Posts
Repeat after me, CHANTILLY LACE!
im gonna be honest and say that I had to Google what a chantilly lace is.

im gonna be more honest and say I would like to ask why do you know what a chantilly lace is?

· Registered
2,732 Posts
im gonna be honest and say that I had to Google what a chantilly lace is.

im gonna be more honest and say I would like to ask why do you know what a chantilly lace is?
haha, I'm assuming you looked at what chantilly lace actually is. I refer to it in terms of color.
It's the benjamin moore shade of white that's supposed to be the purest white with little to no undertones.
Why do I know this? I bought and repainted my house a few years back so I had to go through color chip after color chip of random names.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
@kjrye, please give me an example of where i have been disrespectful to the committee. I have praised them and thanked them numerous times, while exercising my right, as others have, to disagree or ask for more explanation.

@worththewrist, yeah, putting Automatic as the only text up top was never going to get much support, understandably so.

@rad, a reference to the Big Bopper song?

· Registered
2,789 Posts
haha, I'm assuming you looked at what chantilly lace actually is. I refer to it in terms of color.
It's the benjamin moore shade of white that's supposed to be the purest white with little to no undertones.
Why do I know this? I bought and repainted my house a few years back so I had to go through color chip after color chip of random names.
The project that keeps on giving... knowledge expanded yet again. All this and learning new words like Pantone :)

361 - 380 of 409 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.