Discussion Starter #2
Hello all!!

Starting PHASE A

Ideas for design : Sundials, navigation devices, victorian archeology

startingA.jpg

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yepp.. I think I did not promise too much as the "Brain Rain" also starts upon your heads. too.. much potential to live your creativity... fun rules :) by the way perhaps you find a picture of a 3 axis cardan, a heliosphere or an old gyroscope.. or just google for Euler Hand which is a kinematic model taken out of modern robitics but perhaps it has an older origin.. similar to a gimbal for cameras (the early hollywood equipment.. old cameras......

Much of Brass lenses and fine wood stuff perfectly to use

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Ok ... Thought you could build the flyball mechanic somehow from the hands. Miyota also offers retrograde movements but those are quarz. So the torque on the hands is rather weak compared with an analog mechanical watch.
I like the ring shaped hand as a first start, but I'm not sure how the audience will interprete the flyballs

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The color scheme is confusing !!

actually the balls are fix spherical supports for the upper ring

fixballs.png

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ok ... Thought you could build the flyball mechanic somehow from the hands. Miyota also offers retrograde movements but those are quarz. So the torque on the hands is rather weak compared with an analog mechanical watch.
I like the ring shaped hand as a first start, but I'm not sure how the audience will interprete the flyballs
I agree the balls are a bit off..but the hands can be great... Selecting the right materials for those is important to give it value..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'd rather think, if you could get the balls physically a little bit smaller ( without loosing too much of the impression) as you would have to wear it on the wrist and the diameter of the balls will probably double the height of the watch.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Excentrical .. nice .. which movement? for the hands you will probably have to make the balls hollow to reduce inertia ( and see that they won't collide when they go above each other).. and I've recognized you go 3D...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Ok great solution.... But can the arrangement still be recognized as the original flyball device ..
perhaps you could someway use the moon sicle on the left to create a kind of static calendar as shown in your resources..

Have a great idea but this would mean you would have to modify the movement.. you have that calendar device with the turning lever, perhaps you cozld engrave the dial related to this but with a 31 day calendar and put the lever on the open date ring to move around once a month. Perhaps with abstract numbers for the days related to the original.. or a kind of Maya calendar with a moveable ring which is bound to the datering...
Ouch BRAINOVERFLOW....

1 - 20 of 69 Posts