WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of interest, when you get drawn to a particular watch - what's the very first thing that peaks your interest? Is it the design, brand or mechanics...?

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
Isn't this kind of obvious - aesthetics (or design if you prefer) as that is what I can see first. If I like the look, then I'll consider brand, movt, quality, heritage, etc...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, design is first for me- but I just wondered if it was the same for everyone or there are other criteria you look for first.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
When a watch -- ahem -- piques my interest, it's a rapid sequential process that combines all of the above to determine whether further consideration is warranted. "Nice looking watch -- what brand? One I've heard of or a (to me) new one that bears further inquiry?" Or, "hmm...an Omega ad. Great design, but does it have a quartz movement? Never mind." Less frequently, "Maybe it's time to check out the (fill in the blank) website to see what that watchmaker is offering, I generally like what they do and know I'll get a quality movement." In short, you can't fully compartmentalize those attributes if you're even remotely serious about being interested in watches imho.

Reactions: Nickr71

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Design. It needs to catch the eye first. Brand is not as important, but does have some import. I don't care to spend good money on a brand that's not known for consistency. Mechanics are important, but extremely variable in its weight for me. Matters more as price goes up. I can't be too choosy when I'm buying a $50 Swatch for example.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
design, then brand, then mechanics, then price

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,620 Posts
In order of importance.

1. Design.
2. Fit.
3. Reputation of the watch company.
4. Kind of movement.
5. Brand name.

I don't just go looking for an Omega or looking for a quartz movement.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
i'm sure our brains don't go step 1, step 2, step 3, step 4....

we just automatically take everything as one lump sump bit of information and quickly dismiss or go for it... if you literally sit there and go step 1, step 2, step 3, step 4.... maybe you shouldn't leave home, ever....

·
Registered
303 Posts
Brand for me. If it's Rolex, I'll love it, but if it's anything else then I won't bother looking any further.
Price is irrelevant as I'm a powerfully built company director and you know you're getting the best complete piece in the industry with a Rollie.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Brand for me. If it's Rolex, I'll love it, but if it's anything else then I won't bother looking any further.
Price is irrelevant as I'm a powerfully built company director and you know you're getting the best complete piece in the industry with a Rollie.
badum-dush!!

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
So says the man from Cheshire. Even if its true, at least try not to stick to the stereotype. What's next, you also only drive Range Rovers?

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
Visual impact, design, brand, quality feel, vibe, proper size, proper size, proper size, proper size, proper size, proper size, proper size, proper size...

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
Design and brand are both bases for summary rejection. But most of the time when I'm looking, it's by brand first. I can go to a brand site; I can't go to a design-oriented site. And even searching on, say, Joma or Amazon, it's much easier to start the filtering by brand.

·
Registered
486 Posts
For its mechanics. If the watch is any kind of electric, i.e. Solar, tuning fork, Quartz, I really have no interest in it. From there it is asthetics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Design, price, price, design, repeat till purchased or passed . . .

Reactions: Sevenmack

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Here on WUS

1. Flavor of the month/new to the market
2. In-house movements**
3. Grand Seiko*
4. Design
5. Brand

(* - Note how Grand Seiko while a brand somehow sits few notches above Brand)
(** - Also note how unless the movement is in-house, its "generic" but nevertheless the watch HAS to be a mechanical and hence its not a priority, its a requirement)

Non WIS folks

1. BRAND
2. Does it make you feel like Federer, deCaprio or Clooney?
3. Design
4. Price
5. Movement? WTF is that? who cares

1 - 20 of 42 Posts