WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should it bother me that all my watches with steel bracelets have a bunch of desk diver scratches? they're all on the same spot . . . on the part of the bracelet that cover the outer portion of my wrist. Would you get them buffed out, or just be resigned to the fact that this happens to steel bracelets?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,772 Posts
Because scratches are inevitable I would not bother. Whether the scratches should bother you is a question I can't answer.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have the same problem, and I've decided to let it go. I wear the same watch most every day to work, and if I wanted to keep the scratches to a manageable look, I'd have to get work done on it every 90 days or so. No way that's going to happen.

I just don't look at that part of my watch too often - problem solved!

·
Registered
810 Posts
if it really really bothers you, wear long sleeve to work. It won't completely proof your watch from desk diving scratches but it will certainly reduce it.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
i buffed them out every so often, makes me feel good when i get them all back to original look, feel like i got new watches, LOL!!

Reactions: DM71

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
It happens to steel and gold...Those desk diver scratches are part of you....Who you are, what you do.
To erase them, is to erase you. Wear them with pride.

Reactions: JSI

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If you acquire so many scratches it bothers you, get them buffed out. But there is no sense in doing this until you get quite a few of them.

·
Premium Member
32,431 Posts
i buffed them out every so often, makes me feel good when i get them all back to original look, feel like i got new watches, LOL!!
Yup.

Everyone who is a regular on this forum has some form of watch ADD. Some just control it better than others....

·
Premium Member
66,490 Posts
If you really want to weep get a polished Titanium bracelet. They make steel look as tough as old boots. I haven't bothered buffing mine out as it will only happen again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah it used to drive me nuts until I decided to limit my "work watches" to 1 or 2 out of my total collection.
Then every few months I'll take a fine scotch brite pad to them....good as new. Only works for brushed SS obviously.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
When you send them in for servicing they will get buffed out. If you're really concerned you could probably pay for a replacement clasp.

Some people use scotch tape to cover the clasp. I don't really mind the scratches, myself.

Sent from Russia.... with love.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
As a charter member of my own OCD club, I take precautions to avoid desk dive marks. I have subconsciously learned to do things like:

1. Have a stack of folders to my left, so my arm rests on the folders and can not rest on the desk to avoid desk dive marks
2. If the folders are not available, I remember to lift my wrist just high enough to avoid desk dive marks
3. If I must rest my arm flat on my desk, a piece of paper must be under my wrist to avoid desk dive marks

Other's have suggested putting tape on the area of your watch that can be desk dive marked, but to me that would leave a sticky residue, so my method works best for me.

Rod "who redefines OCD, but does not get scratches on his watches" Brylawski

·
Registered
218 Posts
My solution is simple, I just dont wear my watches, I let them sit in the box the way they came with plastic still on. Every once in a while I'll look at them, or even possibly touch them on special occasions.

I may take it a step further and just not buy anymore watches at all then ill never have to worry about scratching them.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I try not to let it bother me because these type of scratches really are inevitable. But on the other hand, I have wanted an AP Royal Oak for a really long time and the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on one has a lot to do with how scratch-prone the bracelet is and how utterly horrible I am at babying my possessions.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I buffed the scratches on the case back from wearing my Breitling on Zulu and showering with it on. I made it polished to its original form with a cape cod cloth and a dremel tool.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm realizing that my scratches are from the left-corner of the palm rest of my retina macbook pro . . . looks like the computer has to go!!! :-d;-)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts