WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
90ECuQB.jpg

To preface, this is the first time that I'm writing a watch review. There's plenty of information out there about Devonworks and these aren't exactly new timepieces, but I figured that I might be one of the few people who have owned these over a couple years and wore them regulary, and I'll mostly speak to how it's like to live with these pieces. For a more in-depth look at the functionality and tech behind the Tread 1 and 2, I recommend ABTW's reviews here and here.

The Tread 1 is extremely loud in the "running seconds" mode and, other than playing around with it, I never run mine with the seconds belt on. The three belts run at the same volume level, you get an audible click every minute, a louder click every 10 minutes, and the loudest click on the hour when three belts move at once. When I'm outside I don't usually notice the watch, when I've had it on for an hour or two my brain tends to filter out the noise altogether. Outside of meetings and movies I don't really see a need to turn the watch completely off.

In comparison, the Tread 2's minute belt is virtually inaudible, and the hour belt is probably about 25% quieter than the Tread 1's minute belt. The 2's sound level is IMO entirely fine with any social situation that you'd want to take it into, and I've seen (heard) louder mechanical pieces.

Because of its size, I do find myself bumping into things with the Tread 1. The polycarbonate cover is designed to take some wear and be replaced at the time of service, and it's a few hundred dollars more to swap out the outer casing entirely. Devon will polish the steel version although the DLC parts must be replaced. A full reconditioning (new belts, battery, gaskets, polycarbonate piece, outer casing) should be in the ballpark of $1,500 - $2,000. My take is that I'm going to wear them as much as I want to, and if I sell it I'll go for the full service and present it to the new owner with a clean bill of health.

All new Devon pieces now come with the "travel-friendly" aluminum charging stand. For week-long trips, I can comfortably travel with either piece without the charger. The Tread 1 needs to be conserved to last a full week, though - I sometimes use up the battery showing it off at an AD and end up running on fumes. The Tread 2 will run for about two weeks as long as you don't engage the chronograph (which will eat the battery down crazy quickly). Both watches are thermocompensated and the rating from Devon is on the conservative side, less than 10 seconds a month seems to be the norm.

The Tread 1 gets an immense amount of attention, it's the only watch I've ever owned that causes people to stop you on the streets to ask you what you're wearing. The attention can be a good or bad thing depending on your tastes...but if I take the 1 out, it's the rare day when there isn't someone in an elevator or cafe chatting up about your watch...sometimes the people who ask are actual watch enthusiasts, and that's always a nice experience. It's something that you have to make a choice about taking out. The 2 in my experience also gets attention, mostly from WIS's, although they often ask if it's a Richard Mille piece :)

I definitely love the legibility of these watches, in particular the Tread 1 which you can sneak a glance without raising your wrist. One thing to add is that if you care about legibility down the exact minute, I would recommend the steel version of the Tread 2 over the all-black ones. There's a tiny nib on the metal insert that points to the minute. The steel nib is contrasty against the black belts and the DLC black nib just kind of disappears. I used to own the 'Shining' version of the Tread 2 and I miss the fast minute read, now that I have an all-black one. The 5-minute increments are always highly readable, of course.

I also want to say that Devon's customer service and support is absolutely amazing. Not just among watch companies- I also invest pretty heavily into personal audio and photography and among all of the brands that I've spent money at, Devon makes me feel the most valued and cared for as a customer. When I ordered my second Tread 2 I mentioned that I was leaving town on an international trip in a few days, and they built the (custom-order) watch for me that same afternoon, did the 125 hour testing and got it to me on the day of my flight with next day shipping (all without costing extra). Being able to expect the company to immediately follow up on service requests, and take time to talk to you over the phone about options and pricing and getting ETAs that they actually commit to - that's the kind of support that makes me feel bad about giving my money to less attentive brands.

All said, I understand how the quartz movement and the rechargeable battery might be a turnoff, although I like to think of these watches as an exercise of time display that just happen to be most achievable with a battery. Real fuseehour or belt drive mechanical pieces tend to have entirely stratospheric pricing and ownership costs. On the other hand, you have Devon at an (arguably) day-wearable price level with interesting designs, excellent service and all-American manufacturing. It's pretty cool that something can be this exotic and also surprisingly easy to live with.

zmsVdAp.jpg

PwVZKnj.jpg

afY1Z4w.jpg

C58nf4a.jpg

5lZAqhu.jpg

eun4Gpk.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,492 Posts
Your pictures are not showing up and it is because you have posted them on imgur, which is not compatible with the WUS platform.

That being said, thanks for the review, I found it very informative about the Devon brand and their timepieces. If I had to choose a favorite of their watch models would be the Tread 2 - easier for me to recognize the time when looking down at the watch.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your pictures are not showing up and it is because you have posted them on imgur, which is not compatible with the WUS platform.

That being said, thanks for the review, I found it very informative about the Devon brand and their timepieces. If I had to choose a favorite of their watch models would be the Tread 2 - easier for me to recognize the time when looking down at the watch.
Thanks for the note - I checked when I posted and the images were showing up just fine. Just replaced everything with local attachments. WUS can be a bit weird sometimes.

I would say that the 1 is the easier to read especially if you care about the precise minute, it's a larger piece and the cutout frames the display in a way that you can't read the numbers wrong.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Very cool. I remember seeing the Devon introduced (c. 2009?) and was fascinated. Thanks for the review and insights.

Reactions: Zhanming057

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool. I remember seeing the Devon introduced (c. 2009?) and was fascinated. Thanks for the review and insights.
Thanks! I bought my first Tread 2 in 2016, sold it last year when I ordered the Tread 1E, and got a second 2 to match the 1E this summer.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
some great shots there, but it needs atleast one wrist shot...

or do you wear it around your ankles? j/k :)
Here you go :) Yeah I forgot I had this one. I need to find a friend with manly forearms to pose for these.

vZL3nfX.jpg

·
Registered
851 Posts
For those who are curious about the innards of the Devon Tread 1 watch you can read the patents that underpin it. Here are two, but there are a succession of them as is mentioned in the prior listings on the documents.
Devon Tread Watch patent 1.jpg
Devon Tread Watch patent 2.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts