WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some movements are quite common yet extremely diverse (e.g. Unitas/ETA 6497/6498). You can buy numerous dials as parts of DIY projects. What I'm unsure about is the placement of the dial mounting pins. Are all movements of a given model (say, 6497) guaranteed to have mounting holes in the same place? How do all dials fit all movements regardless of manufacturer?

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in making my own dial (probably on a laser cutter/engraver), but I'm not sure how to determine the pin positions...I'm also not sure how to attach the pins: solder vs. weld, probably depends on the kind of metal, but that's a separate issue

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
The positions of the dial feet are dimensioned on the ETA manufacturing drawings. If you are going to make more than one dial - fab a jig to hold your feet.

I like solder but I have lasered them and I guess you could braze them too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The positions of the dial feet are dimensioned on the ETA manufacturing drawings. If you are going to make more than one dial - fab a jig to hold your feet.

I like solder but I have lasered them and I guess you could braze them too.
Ah, so the pin holes are truly standardized. Okay, I just need to get the specs then and I'll be good to go.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts