WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a benrus dial o rama on the bench. It has a basic fhf 72 movement that has been modified for benrus. It is the "eu" version. I serviced it and it runs well but the owner said the hour numbers "wander" off center as the watch is worn. I adjusted the star wheel on the hour disc, had it centered perfectly, but sure enough a day later the hours had gone off center again. Im kinda at a loss here. Only thing I can think of is the hour wheel is slowly spinning on the star wheel? New hour wheel maybe? Try staking the hour wheel to the star? anyone have any experience with these? I swear, jump hours always turn into a nightmare for me.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm sure there was something I read about the EU version of the dial o rama being different, but I can't remember what it was now. Maybe post some pics of the dial side would job my memory, or I could see what I can find on google. But it sounds like something is maybe worn. I think they had a cam to push the hour wheel round and a click spring to stop it moving too far, so possibly one of those two parts is worn, depending on if the hour wheel is wandering too far or not far enough? But then you would expect it to be wrong straight away rather than after a few days, so maybe not.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I downloaded the manuel and it describes how to adjust and zero the minute wheel, however there is no mention of the hour wheel, just how to adjust the stop spring tension.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ok, so if I'm reading correctly you mean that the hour wheel is not moving far enough round as the hour clicks forward? So I've had a quick read of that service manual and I think I have it all pictured how it is supposed to work, maybe.
I suppose first of all you could check the star on the bottom of the hour wheel just to make sure it is not loose, though I'm not sure from the manual if that is supposed to be fixed in place or if you can adjust it to get it to line up with the hole in the dial. But after that I would check that the Impulse click yoke (part #9621) is moving freely. It should pivot freely on the bottom screw, then spring back as the cam moves round, so I would push it back with my tweezers and let it come back and just try and feel if there is anything interfering with it or if it is springing back as it should. But it could be the yoke spring down the bottom (#9622) that needs to be adjusted to have the correct tension would be my guess. Hopefully it just needs bending slightly like it mentions in the manual.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its fixed!! thanks fixer. The yokespring was putting way too much pressure on the impulse. Every time the hour changed the advance was way to violent. This caused the hour wheel to advance slowly with each hour. The hour star wheel stayed in place but the friction fit dial advanced with centrifical force. I gently bent the yoke spring 9622 to take some pressure off the impulse. Then i gently peened the hour wheel to hour star wheel fit. Its good and tight now and the advance is much better. It gently advances instead of the violent click i had before. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If the hour disc is gradually moving within the window after many jumps it is usually caused by the disc spinning around its center brass post. The jump should remain quick and "violent". Usually you can adjust the print/disc position by grabbing the brass post with tweezers and rotating the disc. Once adjusted for position on both the EU and FG movements you can stake the disc onto the post with some light force.

I'm the author of the below online review and have shared the manual on my website.
http://www.crazywatches.pl/benrus-dial-o-rama-direct-read-jump-hour-1957

1 - 9 of 9 Posts