WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts
I doubt the money is the issue. Folks here just have a more traditional perception of G shock style. Dying the plastic and swapping straps/bezels is about the extent of modifications.

This style is not for everyone, but it is nice to see people having fun.

thewatchbroker, Thanks for posting this. My name is MO and my 2 brothers and I are the owners of ICEBOX. I understand many of the users on this forum don't really agree with this concept, but can you just tell me honestly...If money weren't involved, would you guys wear something like this? Don't worry about it being the 5600 model, I just mean your favorite gshock. I'm curious, 'cause I think most people's answer would be different?
When it comes to plastic watches...

...we're traditionalists.

can you just tell me honestly...If money weren't involved, would you guys wear something like this?
Never, even if it was for free.

IMO, more than the money issue, diamond-studded bezels impart nothing but crassness unto G-Shocks, the same way that a set of shiny, oversized DUB rims impart crassness on an otherwise offroad-worthy SUV. It's a matter of taste (or in this case, the lack thereof).

Like I said, a Technomarine might be more ideal if you're looking for a watch with stones. Heck, I'm no fan of those, but at least they don't look trying too hard.

Never, even if it was for free.

IMO, more than the money issue, diamond-studded bezels impart nothing but crassness unto G-Shocks, the same way that a set of shiny, oversized DUB rims impart crassness on an otherwise offroad-worthy SUV. It's a matter of taste (or in this case, the lack thereof).
The thing is...

...they look hideous on any watch let alone a G. :think:

It looks more like a way to make a "statement" then anything else - "I'm cool because I wear diamonds on my inexpensive watch" :roll:.
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Celebrities can afford a blinged out Jacob & Co. watch if they want bling, but that's not the point. They want to make a statement.

IMHO, there are no "good" diamond G's. All of them are ugly and, frankly, quite silly.

That being said, as the previous poster stated, to each his own. If you like something like this, then go for it. I just don't get it though.

Regards,
-Jeff

Women wear diamonds.

Men wear G-Shocks.

:-!

thewatchbroker, Thanks for posting this. My name is MO and my 2 brothers and I are the owners of ICEBOX. I understand many of the users on this forum don't really agree with this concept, but can you just tell me honestly...If money weren't involved, would you guys wear something like this? Don't worry about it being the 5600 model, I just mean your favorite gshock. I'm curious, 'cause I think most people's answer would be different?
Diamonds on a G bezel?:-s Nah, that combination just don't have any appeal on me. Not at all, brother!:-(

The saying "you can't polish a turd" springs to mind. Now I think Gs look as cool as the next collector, but let's face it they are much more "brutal" than "blingly". The intended product qualities just do not match!

However, these iced Gs are the product of Casio sponsoring (paying millions) to already filthy rich rap stars in order to wear their products, then the rap starts start getting funny ideas about "blinging up" (promoting their excessive wealth) their time pieces (actually it didn't start with Casios, but with high end Swiss watches like Breitlings a few years back which arguably much more deserved such expenisve aftermarket treatment). But since Casio made the deals, rap stars can't wear the Breitlings etc. anymore. Casio made a risky (expensive) but genius move in doing these sponsorship deals as now all the little rap star fan kiddies want Casio G-Shocks! I am pretty sure the return on marketing investment is pretty successful though. Anyway...

Hence what we see is a distasteful missmatch between trying to promote and market a cheap digital Japanese watch by using opinion leaders, whilst still satisfying their ego and promoting their righ-lifestyle image by blinging it up. Of course this creates a complete paradoxilcally suprising mismatch of product values - on one hand the G-Shock as being tought, brutal with in your face full on styling, on the other hand the G-Shock as a dainty piece of high-end jewellery.

I'd never be seen with one of those on, even if someone paid me... Well ok actually, maybe if someone paid me but I really need the money (just finished uni, in debt and no job:))!

Funnily enough some blinging up companies seem to be making quite some money on these (they start at like $500+?). I suspect there are some behind the scene deals going on as well (sponsoring). Take a $30 G Shock, add $20 worth of fake diamonds, couple of hours work and you sell the thing for $500+. There are some really stupid consumers out there :).

Even if money weren't involved, I don't think this look would be for me. My fiance, for example, just got this "Bling" case for her I-Phone and someone at a party made a comment that it looked like a hooptie with hubcaps.

You have a good business going and best wishes for success, but personally, I think that modding a brand from what the company itself is trying to market iself as, is changing the appeal altogether.

I wear a G daily because I need something rugged that I don't need to worry about. Having the "bling" on something like this would defeat the purpose.

...If money weren't involved, would you guys wear something like this?
In Europe really rich people with taste would IMHO NEVER wear a diamond-G-Shock b-)

The problem in this case is not mainly the brand Casio but diamonds on a mans wrist. The market for a diamond-Rolex is in Europe very, very small too because nobody with money and taste wants to be compared with a pimp :-d

I think they look utterly gross.

Worse than a gold covered Bentley with 22" wheels. Which is quite a feat.

These are for kids and wannabe rap stars. Shame that people have to buy these things to emulate their heros but some people have no individuality and would rather buy a pre-fabricated identiy instead of creating one of their own.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.