WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
after some trials and failures, ive managed to find a method to remove scratches from g shock crystals.
depending on the depth of the scratch,diamond polishing paste can be used with great success.
i used 0.5 micron diamond polishing paste on the crystal of my dw-5600c and it removed ALL the scratches.no dremmel tools required,just some elbow grease.the deep scratches required more attention but they polished out after a while.

i then used 1.0 micron diamond polishing paste on the casing..followed by the 0.5 micron paste to finish it off
these are the results( please see the pics)

this might not be the easiest method,and it might not work on all g,s , but ive tried it on a dw-002 also,and the results are the same..ALL SCRATCHES REMOVED ! ITS WORTH A TRY GUYS .

not sure if this has been tried before on g shocks,and forgive me if this topic has been covered before....but im sure it could help

Attachments

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Looks good (I assume those are all "after" pictures).

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks ...no more polishing now for a while..hands are cramped up..ha,ha

yes they are all after pics.the watch wasnt in a bad state,just some tool marks on the back,a little pitting in places and scratches on the lugs.these are mostly all gone now.

the crystal had one main scratch right across the middle and a deep one on the corner.both are gone now..the deep one was a challenge but its away now.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Where would one get diamond polishing powder in those grades?

Thanks!

·
Registered
889 Posts
would of loved to see a before pic but a great job, which brand polishing paste was it?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Holy cow. Nice work! Did you use any special cloth to do the buffing? Was there a certain pattern that you were wiping in?

·
Registered
36 Posts
dean, when you say crystal, do you mean the face of the watch is made of glass ? I'm very impressed with the results but am still unsure whether this method would work on my 7900 as it feels as though the face is made of plastic.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
..I'm very impressed with the results but am still unsure whether this method would work on my 7900 as it feels as though the face is made of plastic.
the crystal (glass) of the G-7900 is made of mineral as it is for 99% of all g-shock's. the missing one percent have sapphire, but only the very highend time-pieces.

afaik there was never a g-shock made with a plastic crystal.

cheers

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Wow:-!
That looks like a pro restoration!
Thanks for the tip, and if you can, please post some details about the paste -
I only have Brasso, and I don't even know
where to look for this kind of paste? jeweler's suply? opticians? :roll:

:thanks

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just bought this stuff off the net after doing a bit of research.apparently diamond polishing paste is used to polish jem stones,jewelry etc..

type in diamond polishing paste and you will get loads of results.the higher the "micron " the more gritty it is...

eg...for deep scratches on steel,start with a high "micron" and work your way down to a low "micron "
this can be expensive ,so i only bought 2 to try,and was very impressed.
i deceided on the 0.5 micron for the glass as its right at the bottom of the scale...mind you,you can get a 0.25 micron too.

i used standard fine cloths and elbow grease,polishing in the same direction for about 3 mins at a time,polishing the whole crystal .wiped it off and checked...restarted the process again.
the backplate was a little harder because maybe a higher "micron" would of been a better start,but i just polished until the scratches faded.whatever you do...do not just targed the single deep scratches as this could cause an uneved crystal...the light scratches can be singled out.polish the whole crystal and the whole face will gleam like new

i would love to see the results when using a polishing pad on a drill because im sure it would take half the time that it took me.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Quite impressive job. You wouldn't happen to have before pics would you? Not that we don't believe you, lol, it's just the proper thing to do on these kind of posts. :)

Well done,
Bruce

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
im sorry i dont have any before pics...but as you can see,some sort of polishing has taken place.
there is no way a dw 5600c could look as "shiny" as that except if it was a nos buy or a time warp lucky find.unfortunatelly im unable to afford or find one of these rare finds.i just bought the stuff to try it out and never bothered with "before" pics...wish i had because after about 5 mins of polishing the watch started to shine up.even the steel casing around the rim of the glass is so shiny now too.

a full case strip and polish using a drill would give the case a shiny texture,but i dont have this equipment and just cant be bothered stripping it down again to start polishing using elbow grease.ive had a huge problem in removing dust from the watch after cleaning the inside.there is nothing as irritating as seeing loads of dust under the glass after a complete clean...virtually impossible to remove unless you work in a dust free enviroment or a vacuum ha,ha.
anyway

there were a few tool marks on the back,and some pitting.the lugs were also scratched...these were all removed using the paste

the two scratches on the crystal were also removed with the paste.
all i can say is give it a go...it wont break the bank,and its worth a try.

it worked for me and im sure it will work for those who try it.it cost me £8 for a syringe full,but can be bought from the orient for cheaper.

GIVE IT A GO...AND YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts