WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was setting the time today on my brand new Night Train to 11 AM. I failed to realize that I ended up setting it to 11 PM, into the area where I'm not supposed to adjust! I then moved the time again into the correct 11 AM setting. I'm wondering if I did any damage as the manual notes never to change the date/ time between this area. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A quick call to Ball (Thanks Jerry!) let me know that the problem is changing the date during that "danger window", time is ok. Phew!

·
Registered
20,737 Posts
I was setting the time today on my brand new Night Train to 11 AM. I failed to realize that I ended up setting it to 11 PM, into the area where I'm not supposed to adjust! I then moved the time again into the correct 11 AM setting. I'm wondering if I did any damage as the manual notes never to change the date/ time between this area. Thanks for any feedback.

You can set the time as often as you want but not the date, if for some reasons you need to set the date when the triangle is red, a common trick is to pull the crown out completely and turn the hours hand to 12H00 (noon) and you are good to set the date.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have done thing like that on a few occasions...those watches had run just fine. However, I have been getting into a habit of only set the date once I turn hands to 6 o'clock position. Regardless of AM/PM position, that is for sure the safe sweet spot, IMHO.

·
Registered
20,737 Posts
Wow, I'm new to Ball ... why is there such a danger zone?

It's not just Ball but almost all automatic movements with day/date complication, the date mechanism is engaged between 22H00 and 02H00 to turn the date wheel, if you set the date at this moment you might damage its tiny and delicate components.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's not just Ball but almost all automatic movements with day/date complication, the date mechanism is engaged between 22H00 and 02H00 to turn the date wheel, if you set the date at this moment you might damage its tiny and delicate components.
Oh okay, understood. It makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
This is one of the things I like about the Nighttrain (and the Cleveland Express Dual time) and watches that have a 24 hour dial. You quickly know where you are in the day when you go to set them in your rotation. The red warning is a nice added feature in the Ball 124 and 293 movements. I think I said this before but it is worth repeating. A few years back I bought a new Breitling Avenger and the AD destroyed the date mech. when setting the watch up for delivery by changing the date at 8:30pm.

·
Registered
630 Posts
why, what evil will occur? Really, I've never heard that.

I guess because once the gears are engaged the date is only meant to go ahead. Someone should be able to clarify, my interest in watches has very little to do with having any tech. knowledge. I believe I read that for my particular autos, at least one of them.

From another forum...

"The key thing is to avoid the 'danger zone' of 8pm to 3am. During this time the date change mechanism is partially engaged with the main watch movement, and if you use the quick set date function (that moves the date without impacting the time) then you can damage the movement. There is also a slight risk if you wind the hands backwards during this period."

and....

"welcome aboard. definitely by all means possible avoid the

Danger Zone of 8pm to 3am to change the date.
Do not move the hands backwards during this time either!"

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I guess because once the gears are engaged the date is only meant to go ahead. Someone should be able to clarify, my interest in watches has very little to do with having any tech. knowledge. I believe I read that for my particular autos, at least one of them.

From another forum...

"The key thing is to avoid the 'danger zone' of 8pm to 3am. During this time the date change mechanism is partially engaged with the main watch movement, and if you use the quick set date function (that moves the date without impacting the time) then you can damage the movement. There is also a slight risk if you wind the hands backwards during this period."

and....

"welcome aboard. definitely by all means possible avoid the

Danger Zone of 8pm to 3am to change the date.
Do not move the hands backwards during this time either!"
Thanks for taking the time to gather evidence. It's appreciated. Whether it's true or not it's easy enough not to move the hands backward 8-3; it also reminds you you're in the date zone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts