WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received this watch in the mail today. http://www.itemstoday.com/usr/GoodsDetail.aspx?pcode=iw564

If you look closely, you'll notice that second dial on the left has no hand on it. I'm kind of a watch newb, so I'm not sure what that dial is for or if it's even supposed to have a hand. To me looks like a spot for a tourbillion or something and I think they sold me a defect(of course it's my own fault for not checking it out close enough).

If anybody could tell me what's up, I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
ok you piad under $10 that watch is mostly likely chinese.
These cheap ones often design dial of more expensive watches but they dont have the mechanics to match them. so they are just for show

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
To be honest with you I wouldn't worry about a $10 watch. In this case you get what you pay for, just chalk this purchase to experience. Or make it a learning experience and experiment with the watch like removing the movement, hands, etc. If you are really bothered with the watch return it, but shipping would cancel out refund, or try to sell or give away the watch.

·
Registered
813 Posts
yup....!! $6.60.....heck.... that is a $5.95 watch :)

seriously.... if you are going to make a boo boo, it's fantastic to get away with a sub $10 lesson learned.....

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Looks like a winner to me.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Its just a chinese mass manufactured mechanical. These are branded under various names, sold all over the www. Usually in the $10 ballpark. IKcoulouring is the brand that comes to mind immediately. They frequently have empty subdials just like yours there. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think you did pretty good. Some of these can actually keep surprisingly good time, depending on how well its calibrated. How durable or reliable it is... is a complete craps shoot. Yst still, I'd rather take my chances with a watch like yours than any $10 quartz junk watch at target or wal mart.

DX site here...

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/mechanical+watch.html?category=1204

Theres just "something" about a mechanical watch, that you can ONLY get in a mechanical watch.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
If you look closely, you'll notice that second dial on the left has no hand on it. I'm kind of a watch newb, so I'm not sure what that dial is for...
My singularly boring contribution to this thread is to state that the dial with the missing hand you're refering to is (or at least would have been) a small seconds sub-dial. Instead of the seconds being counted off by a large hand in the center of the watch, they are tracked on this smaller sub-dial. Some of the very nicest watches incorporate this design feature, it's just that they usually have an actual seconds hand installed. By the way, if you get in to the 70 - 90 dollar range (USD), you'll start to run into some pretty nice mechanical watches from Seiko and Orient.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Not sure its possible to get ripped off on a 6 dollar mechanical...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My singularly boring contribution to this thread is to state that the dial with the missing hand you're refering to is (or at least would have been) a small seconds sub-dial. Instead of the seconds being counted off by a large hand in the center of the watch, they are tracked on this smaller sub-dial. Some of the very nicest watches incorporate this design feature, it's just that they usually have an actual seconds hand installed. By the way, if you get in to the 70 - 90 dollar range (USD), you'll start to run into some pretty nice mechanical watches from Seiko and Orient.
so, it would have been 60th of a second dial? or basically just an extra second hand?

thanks for all the replies. i guess "ripped off" was bad phrasing, lol. It really only bothers me because the watch looks classy, but the missing hand is a dead giveaway that it's ya know... a cheap chinese knock off.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
yup....!! $6.60.....heck.... that is a $5.95 watch :)

seriously.... if you are going to make a boo boo, it's fantastic to get away with a sub $10 lesson learned.....
Agreed. And it was not even a boo boo, as it was design...so......WINNING!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
so, it would have been 60th of a second dial? or basically just an extra second hand?

thanks for all the replies. i guess "ripped off" was bad phrasing, lol. It really only bothers me because the watch looks classy, but the missing hand is a dead giveaway that it's ya know... a cheap chinese knock off.
Cheap-yes
Chinese-yes (most likely)
Knock of -NO

Its definitely NOTa knock off or clone of anything. Actually some of these watches have a fair amount of weight/mass to them. FWIW a Seiko Frankenmonster on a bracelet weighs 195g... many of these cheapies are in that ballpark, on animal skin straps. (assuming the published weight is correct)

Should I be ashamed to admit this one here is nice looking?
http://www.itemstoday.com/usr/GoodsDetail.aspx?pcode=iw549

·
Registered
829 Posts
Consider it part of your wis education. You said it looked classy, but as you fall deeper down the rabbit hole we call wis-som you'll see that this is just a stamped cookie-cutter watch like object. The really classy ones have decorated movements and dials.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
billy_boy, I recommend you hang out a bit on the Chinese Mechanical sub forum here. You'll learn a lot about these sorts of things. Yes, it is definitely Chinese, the cheapest of them all, and you might (unbelievably) even be able to get the seller to send you a new one with a working seconds hand. I would not be surprised if you look closely that you may find your sub-seconds hand has fallen off and floating around somewhere in your watch. In fact, it could destroy your watch if it falls down into the movement. This is the sort of brand that gives Chinese watches a bad name. Winner, Goer, AK Homme, IK Colouring, Alias Kim, Jaragar and others are cottage-industry disposables. (I won't even go into the clones, stupid and off limits.) I actually own a few similar cheapies that work nicely. These are "free plus the cost of shipping" and you should treat them as learning experiments and trial-toys.

My tip: If you want to learn about watches, sacrifice this one to a dissection. Learn how to open a watch, remove the movement, lubricate and other maintenance. There are postings on WUS to help you try this. Open it and try to find the missing seconds hand (it might not be there indeed). If you destroy the watch while trying - no big deal. Cost of a cheap lesson. You might find the seconds hand, re-attach it, and learn a mountain about watch repair. You can do no wrong. It's the cost of a hamburger, so skip lunch and you are even! :-!

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
Hmm . . . How's the strap? That might be worth $10 right there. Maybe you broke even?

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Everyone has already said what needs to be said, but I have one thing to add.

The promo picture doesn't have a seconds-hand in that subdial. So, no. You did not get ripped-off. The watch was and sold and shipped to you as advertised.

EDIT: I just bookmarked that page knowing that they actually deliver a watch when you order. I may pick one up just because.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts